Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillon 550B Plate 25ACP

Boolit Master

25ACP problems with Reloading.

Dillon 550? not mine.
    I use an RCBS "RC" Press with a Longer Handle to both Reload .25ACP and to Reform 5.7x28mm or .22 Hornet cases into Lengthened .25ACP/.25 Stevens parent cases.

The Main Problem I found with the .25ACP is that Development seems to have Stopped with the Cartridge with the use in short Barrel "Pocket Pistols". I have only found an early (About WW1) mention of any commercial attempts to market a Rifle in this Caliber.

John Browning designed it as an easier Feeding Cartridge than the the .22LR of the same era (1904-1908) with equivalent Ballistic performance. The .22LR has improved greatly since, but not the .25ACP. It is even Tested only in a 6" barrel! The .22LR Is tested using a 24" barrel.

Now I KNOW the case will Perform to higher Pressure loading in a SUITABLE Firearm (Don't try it in a typical Blow-Back Action Pistol) as I have fired successfully several rounds of .25ACP loaded with 3.0 to 3.1 Grains of BE-86 and a 63 grain Lead FP bullet out of a converted Ruger 'Single Eight' Revolver.
    This is a compressed Load of Propellant that has a somewhat slower Burn Rate than the Typical Bullseye charges recommended.

My Revolver also has a 10-5/8" barrel on it, over 5 times the length of the typical 'Pocket Pistol" ones.
    Factory .25ACP fired in the same revolver do feel 'weak' by comparison, naturally.

Anyway, my main problem reloading .25ACP is ACCURATE measurement of the Small Propellant charges (Bullseye = 1.3 to 1.4 Grains) even with a Balance Beam Scale; as its resolution is only 0.1 grain as Marked.
    Doing Load Development trying to hold 0.01 grain accuracy repeatably is a problem.

At least in the Lengthened cases the total charge weight gets up to where 0.1 grain accuracy is 'good enough'.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-10-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: correct typo. errors.

In Remembrance

Yes, old thread, but.... I'm still pursuing this.
    Kywoodwrkr has sent me a prototype dial plate and pins. Hope to be able to make that work. I'll use an extra small charge bar. However, now comes the subject of the powder funnel. Ideas?

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    RE: Powder "Funnel" problem.
    I use an RCBS balance bean Type Powder Weighting 'scale' to measure my Charges an it has a Pan with a spout formed into it. Since I am loading on single stage press I don't experience the problems of high production progressive press Systems.

That being said:
    Since I guess the Primed Case is placed in the progressive press then rotated into position to receive the powder Dispensed by an automatic measure device; the 'funnel' would need to be attached to the powder measure and the 'spout' positioned over the Center of the Case to be charged. Is therer a mechanical Linkage that moves the spout into the case mouth while the powder is flowing into the case? Or is the Spout fixed and the case raised to surround the spout?

Conceptually the 'funnel' needs to have a spout ID that is smaller than the case mouth ID by a Margin, probably more than the 'funnel' material thickness so the powder stream is smaller than the Case ID to limit the amount of spillage that may occur from slight misalignment.
    The Small weight of charge is very sensitive to any 'spillage' due to the relative weight of charge.
    A single piece of many powders is a significant weight compared ot a 1.00 grain intended charge weight.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post
    Yes, old thread, but.... I'm still pursuing this.
    Kywoodwrkr has sent me a prototype dial plate and pins. Hope to be able to make that work. I'll use an extra small charge bar. However, now comes the subject of the powder funnel. Ideas?
    It has been a long time since I had a 550B, but what about getting a .25 cal rifle powder die and turning it down on a lathe to resemble a Lyman M-die?

Robert

Boolit Master

If you just need the powder funnel, you can use the Lee Auto Disk. Of course you will need the Lee die for powder. But Lee auto disk works very well on a 550. For small charges associated with 25 acp you will probably need the discontinued micro disk, but it is available from aftermarketers.

In Remembrance

I am adding this tread to my references regarding my 25 acp project.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Bub
    Hi There

I know this is an old thread but just like the topic starter I want to load 25 acp on my Dillon 550. What I’m looking for is the following:
    - either a drawing of the shellplate so I can let a milling company make it (I know one that takes small milling jobs);
    - Someone who wants to sell it it and ship it to me (I live in Europe, EliteAmmunition produces one but doesn’t want to ship outside the US, they are quite formal about it);

This is purely for recreational shooting, here in Europe you can easily find curious little guns in this caliber, often well made but very old. Museum category. I don’t mind handling small components. I mind more using a progressive press than single staging it.

send me a PM if you can help.

Thanks!

Boolit Master

I use a LEE turret press to load 25ACP, a little slower but I don’t need a new of them!

Boolit Bub
    That’s a viable option, thanks.
    If the custom shellplate is too expensive then that is wat I may do. Then again I hoped I could stick to the few presses I already have. Buying an extra press just for my 25acp is a bit overkill.

Thanks for your input

Boolit Buddy

I can help with this project, PM sent. Avoid Elite, buggerem

Boolit Master
    Dillon actually made a .25acp shell plate. It was shell plate i in the chart that came with my loader. I'm sure there are a few floating around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12