Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: LLF swaging dies

Boolit Bub

LLF swaging dies

Does anyone have any information about these dies? They are stamped LLF. They are seating die and point forming die with extractor rod, they fit a rock chucker press. I got them several years ago from a gentleman that said he purchased them from the Oregon School For The Blind. They had used them to generate revenue for the school by having the students make bullets and sell them.
    I have used them and they are good dies and easy to work, just some history and a look at some old equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0021.jpg   DSC_0022.jpg   DSC_a0023.jpg   DSC_0025.jpg  

Boolit Master
    phil218b,

Louis L. Franzen started the LLF Die Shop up in Eugene, OR at least as early as 1962 and the shop ran until 1992 or so. I can't find my copy of Rediscover Swaging by Corbin, but if I recall, he goes over all the early diemakers. Your die set cost $125 in 1990, the last time they were mentioned in the Handloader's Digest.

Oregon seems to be some kind of nurturing ground for a lot of bullet die makers, reamer grinders, reboring and relining shops and other small shooting-sports-related business enterprises. I didn't know the School for the Blind made bullets as well, but more power to them!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info, I was told by the fellow I got them from that they quit making bullets at the school in the 70's. I have 5 sets of different calibers and some additional peices. It is fun to set them up and form bullets, as they still make a pretty good projectile. So just for kicks, I got the box of dies an A2 press with extra ram and 2 H&G 38 molds and 4 SAS die sets for100.00 about 6 years ago. I am cleaning up the shop and playing with some of the stuff I forgot I had. Seems like a good thing to do during a Global Warming wet cold April and May in Oregon.

Boolit Master
    Wow, what a haul! And for $100, too. I'm envious.