Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Favorite 44mag load

Favorite 44mag load

Just wondering what is everyones favorite 44 mag loads are? I`m looking for a good powder for a mag load. I`ll be shooting 240gr RCBS SWC [flat base] in my S&W 629 classic. The bullets will be wheel wieght mixture, and lubed with Felix lube. I`m looking for a Clean powder, thats not temp sensitive, Accurate, and good for cast bullets.
    I`ll be target shooting, and hunting with them.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

It's hard to beat WC820. I bought lots of the "old" stuff that is the burn rate of H110. It measures like water, burns clean and shoots welll in everything that I have tried it in. In addition, it is much less than a canister grade powder.

Keep in mind that it is a surplus powder and different lots have different charge requirements. However, after initial tests, you are "good to go".

I normally use the Lyman Keith 429421 with 23.0 grs (23.0 gives 1200 and 24.0 gives 1300 out of my revolver - 8 3/8" S&W).

Dale53

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I shoot 7.0 gr. Green Dot with either the RCBS 240 GC or RCBS 250 KT plain base. This load is good for 920 fps, (6") 950 fps, (8 3/8") or 1200 fps (24".) Accuracy is very good, leading non-existent, and recoil and muzzle blast quite tolerable. For proper feeding in my Marlin Cowboy rifle I trim cases to .010" shorter than "trim to" length when using the 250 Keith. The 240 GC feeds just fine in factory length cases.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorites:
    Bluedot for midrange, Lil'Gun, H-110, WW-296, WC 820 for full tilt.

Boolit Bub
    RCBS 250 KTH, WW alloy, LBT blue or home made moly lube. 7 1/2" OM SBH
    Light load- 6.5 grs Tite Group, WLP, *- case, 901 fps
    Mid range- 10.0 grs Power Pistol, WLP, *- case, 1138 fps
    Top end - 24.0 grs H4227, WLP, *- case, 1393 fps
    All of the above give extreme spreads of less than 30.

Boolit Buddy
    I have started using an RCBS 250gn K, FWFL, sized .431 behind 19 gns of 2400 in my SRH. It shoots to about 1.5 " at 50m.

Boolit Bub
    Greetings, Gentlemen,

Using same old load since 1950's. Never seen any reason to change.
    Lyman 429421, cast wheel weights/ 10 - 15% high speed babbit, 22 gr. 2400, for a little over 1500 fps from 7 1/2" barrel. Redhawk, of course.
    Regards, Ralph.
    Boy, I love these old guns.....

Boolit Bub
    RCBS 250 K. Weighs 258 grs from AC WW's, Felix lube, sized .431.
    S&W 629 4"
    17.8 grs 2400, standard primer, 1145 fps.
    I used to use 18.5 grs 2400 at 1180 fps, but the 17.8 load seems to group a little tighter and rounder at 25 yds.

Gary

Boolit Master
    What RalphH said no babbit, just #2 alloy.

Moderator Emeritus

The small cavity in the rotor of my old Ohaus measure drops 20.7 gr. of 2400 when the adj. screw is backed out to the bottom. I tried that load with a 263 gr. Kieth bullet (Saeco version) and it shot as well as heavier or lighter loads, so that's become "my load" sort of by default, and due to the idiosyncracy of my measure. 2400 does leave a little unburned powder, but it's the most consistent and reliable load I've ever used in my gun, so it's "the load" for that one. Standard primers, too.

Thanks for the replies

I want to thank everyone for their replies. I didn`t mention the powders I have used, and am using right now, so I can here from you guys. I started off with 2400 around 25yrs ago, then went to H110, then Blue Dot, now someone gave me a 5lb can of winchester 571 which is discontinued; but is the same as HS-7. I can`t remember why I stopped using the 2400; but I think I just wanted to use less powder? Blue Dot Has worked fair for me; but I heard it was temp sensitive? I`ll be running out of the W571 soon, and I think I will go back to the 2400 being that is the "ol standard". If I remember right I used to get good groups with it out of my old Blackhawk. My thought was; does cast bullets like a faster powder?
    Keep the replies coming.
    Thank you

Boolit Grand Master
    Cast boolits like ALL powders!

I've heard that same story about Bluedot being temperature sensitive, but I've not seen it in my use.

When I started handloading for .44 magnum some 30+ years ago, 2400 was THE powder to use. It was very accurate in my Ruger SBH, and the unburned (or partially burned) powder didn't bother me. I then began using it in a S&W model 28 .357, and that unburned powder actually tied the gun up. It would work it's way under the ejector ring and keep the cylinder from latching. I began using H-110 for all my magnum handguns and never bought 2400 again.