Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: long oal loads in 44 redhawk?

long oal loads in 44 redhawk?

Has anyone played with long oal 44 mag. I just started experamenting with this, and thought one could substancially increase case capacity by seating boolits long. Im using TL boolits so I have plenty of crimp grooves, and lil gun, h110, and maybe 4227. Ill crono some time this week and report back, but in the mean time, I could use some feedback.
    "Give to caesar what is caesar's, and give to God what is God's." The Christ

SOOOOO, I shot my crono. Well, my brother in laws crono anyway. Thank God it was a cheap one. Didnt get much info on it before that. Thats what I get for boroing equipment. Happens every time.

anachronism
    At least it wasn't your chrono. If you shop hard enough, you'll find 44 moulds with 2 crimping grooves, made for just this purpose (original post, not chrono termination).

Boolit Grand Master
    It only makes sense to seat as long as possible if you are looking for maximum velocity using slow burning powders.

Redhawks are incredibly strong, but don't let that get you into trouble.

Check frequently for boolit movement caused by recoil, when you're loading that long it doesn't take much forward creep to tie up the gun.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    TL boolits ....... good as they are .......... aren't for heavy loads.

I would go the double crimp groove route ......... the least expensive is the Lee 310 gr. GC

Three 44s

Yeah, I wasnt planning on stickin with the TLs, I just wanted to see what I could get out of them, and the buy something with a GC.

Boolit Master
    if you look around you will find longer loads listed in books.

yes my loads are long.

the group by molds are triple groove.....

mike
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

rufracer I've got a couple different 44 mag molds will be glad to shoot you a few of each i have cast to try if you like.

rufracer,
    Virtually all of my Super Redhawk loads are nearly as long as the cylinder (1.750COL). The SRH cylinder is the same length as the Redhawks (1.800"). The LEE 310gr GC is a super mould. For carry in the woods, I cast them soft ahead of 20.0 gr of H4227. In my custom 5.5" barreled SRH, I am getting around 1200fps. Incidentally, since Hodgdons bought out the IMR powder company, they have discontinued their H4227 and now only have IMR 4227. I really liked the H4227 as it was one of their "extreme" powders and, as advertised, it was insensitive to the Temperature extremes here in Montana. I also like the 300gr Sierra soft point ahead of 21.0 gr of H4227. This load is a real winner. I also have some custom cast wide flat nosed .430" dia bullets that have the cannelure further back creating a long nose section. They weigh in at 347grains. Also driven by 20.0gr of H4227, I am getting around 1100+fps. These are heavy recoiling loads and are miserable in a Redhawk. They are tolerable in the SRH with its rubber grip.
    Hope this helps.
    Bill
    Montana Territory
    Last edited by bearmn56; 05-18-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling errors

The RCBS 300g GC mold gives an old of 1.70 in the only groove. (top 2 pics) These scoot @ 1300fp with 21.4g of H110 through 6 1/2" barrel

NEI 320g pb gives 1.75 in the low groove; nice mold, big lube groove and 2 big driving bands(bottom pic).

RCBS

NEI: (and yes i culled the one in the front row with a crater in it)