Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cost of getting set up?

Boolit Master

Cost of getting set up?

I searched this forum for a "Cost" thread, and didn't really find a definitive answer. So, what does it cost to get set up to swage for .223 using spent .22 rimfire cases for jackets? Are presses available used? Any brands to avoid?
    BD

Boolit Master

Blackmon will sell you his press and a 3 die set for $520. His conversion for a RockChucker and 3 dies $465. The derimmer is $75. And you'll need a core mold ($95) or lead wire and a cutter. If you shoot thousands of rounds each year and have the time, go for it. If you only shoot hundreds a year, keep buying your J-word bullets !

Boolit Grand Master
    The last time I looked, the Corbin set like I use was right around $800.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

For everything I got the bill was $849+ S&H but those are last year prices...and I just got my dies in and just started making bullets.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the answers. When I'm at home in Maine I'm spending about $300/year on .223 condoms. Now I at least have the info to make the decision. Time is the other issue, as I'm not retired and may never be. How many 55 grainers can a guy make on a long Saturday afternoon using cast cores and .22 rimfire for jackets? (assuming the cores are all cast in advance).

BD

I plan on swaging like I reload.....gets alot more done and fewer handling steps. think 1,000+ on these production runs. break these down into days though for me as I have large chunks of time when I'm not at work or in class or needing to study.

Weekend 1 cast cores

few nights a week derim/make jackets while enjoying a beer after work (not 2...just 1) If you have the press set up all the time its nothing to just do 100 or so or more a few times.

Weekend 2 swage/uniform cores while cases are annealing

weekend 3 seat cores

end of the month Point form and whalla you got 1,000+ jackets bullets. just clean them up and your done In theory...practice may not give these results lol
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    If I have the cores ready to go, I can get about 150 or so done in a hour. Depends how big of a lot you want to make at a time. If your want a lot do what wonderwolf says and brake up the operations. Do all cores, all core seating, and then all point forming. This will also give you more bullets that are consistant since you didn't move the dies until it is time for the next operation.

Boolit Buddy
    I have always figured I can make 100 22LR rimfire bullets an hour if I make batches of at least 500. Large batches cut down on die change-over time. I have multiple top punch holders so I do not have to re-adjust each time.
    Have fun.
    Joe