MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: A little info please

Smile A little info please

I am fairly new to tis site and have already found "alot" of good info from members however after finding this foum I find myself very interested about what is needed to start swaging my own ! After a visit to the Corbin site it seems that I have more questions than answers . For instance I understand that you need the press , that's a given but do you need a seperate $800.00 - $1200.00 set of dies for each caliber/bullet type or do you just change punches ? any info you could supply would be greatly apreciated . Hopefylly this will not be as atractive as it seems now as my loving wife already considers herself to be a shooters/reloading widow thanks in advance! Blaser.

Boolit Buddy
    Download and read though the book stuff off two Corbin brothers sites. See if you can track down a copy of Discovering Swaging, by one or both of them.

You need a different set of dies for each caliber. Within each caliber, you can mix and match base punches and nose forming punches to create different shapes (the punches have to be a good fit to the Swaging die) and by varying the amount of material used in the core, you control the weight of the bullet (jacket weight, plus core weight= bullet weight).

Yup. Stuck paying what the guys making them ask, unless you want to make them yourself.

Cheers
    Trev

Blazer,
    When I purchased my sets of dies from Corbins, I asked quite a few questions on the manufacture of the dies. I got a tour of the shop. From what I have observed, there is not much that is automated. That in itself is why they are not cheap. The honeing of the die is done on a machine, by hand, a little at a time until the correct diameter is reached.
    I thought they were mighty expensive until I realized what actually went into making them.
    I purchase a lathe and have made an external punch, and it took me a while to make it. In part because I was getting to know the lathe.

With a die set, there is the core swage die, which is used to give the core a nice shape, as well as help control weight. (one three piece set.)

Then there is the core seat die. This is used to seat the core into the jacket, for jacketed bullets. (Another 3 piece set.)

And finally the point forming die set. This set forms the point of the bullet and also expands the bullet up to final diameter. This is another three piece set.

If you want to form the lead tips, it is a two piece set because you use the external punch that was used in the point forming process.

So, one set for making jacketed bullets is nine to eleven separate parts.

To change from a pointed bullet to a round nose, just requires a point forming set of two dies. ( they normally make a three die set though.)

The good thing is that this stuff lasts a long time,... Unless you do what I did and try to compress a material more than what it will... I ruined a 50.00 external punch within fifteen minutes of receiving it... I initially thought there was something wrong with the material. After conversing with Dave Corbin, I realized that it wasn't anything on his end that caused the failure of the die. I did let him know that also.
    I have to say, he has been quite helpful with my learning how to swage bullets.

It is quite a bit of fun, and for me, relaxing.

Boolit Bub
    When we say a new set of dies for each caliber, we mean .356" diameter.

You can use that same set for 9x19, .380, .357 Sig, etc.

Andy

Vendor Sponsor

Corbin's stuff is top notch for sure and wish I could afford them but for making pistol bullets, dies from CH Tool and Die, about $140 shipped will get you started making bullets as good as factory. You can use a standard strong reloading press as well. I have said it several times but I went from having no equipment to making alot of .429 bullets for less then $400 all total. That even included a good $125 press.

Search the sight a liitle as you said a lot of good info. It doesn't have to cost allot to get started in this fun hobby.

Good luck.

BT Sniper
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/