RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: not a good day guys!

Banned

not a good day guys!

did some casting today and when i was done i set some ingots in the pot to melt and went to town and came back a hour later and my pole barn was burned to the ground. All my reloading gear casting gear brass bullets (probably close to a million cast bullets) powder primers everything. Not feeling to swift right now. My own fault and probably alot of the blame goes to my terrible housekeeping but the wife and i quit figureing at 30000 bucks and that isnt even figureing what the ammo would cost to buy it at the store, thats what it cost me loading it. You have no clue how much time there was invested let alone money! The loss sucks but the worse part is alot of that stuff you just cant replace right now. Like primers! Looks like Lloyd isnt doing much shooting this summer!

Boolit Master

OUCH !!

That is one of my greastest fears

Sorry to here , just glad you are ok

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Lloyd, I'm terribly sorry to hear of your loss. Not only is the monetary loss a trajedy but also the time invested in all that you lost. I'd be willing to bet if you post the calibers that you shoot you'd find yourself getting donations from the members here...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Banned

Ray it would be easier for me to post the calibers i dont load. the tough ones are the linebaughs the beowulf and others like that that are hard to find or very expensive. 6 dillon presses and probably 15000 rounds of loaded 223s 5000 308s 5000 762x39 and conservitively 20000 rounds of 45acp along with bucket fulls of other ammo. The metal in the barn is on the ground but it is just covered with holes. By the time the fire dept showed up it was allready to late and i came about the same time and told them to just let it burn and stand back. there was cooked off ammo all over the yard.

Boolit Master
    ok , lets look at the bright side, you like to cast and there is a lot of lead there at the base of the barn, may not be the cleanest alloy ever cast, but its not likely it went anywhere.
    really sorry to hear.
    dare i ask, insurance ??
    mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Man Loyd thats one of the worst things that I live in fear of.
    I am truly sorry for you.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

I am so sorry to hear this. Do you know what actually caused the fire? I mean was it the lead pot that faulted or the circuit it was plugged into? I guess it is probably hard to tell at this point.

Marc

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear it. I don't know if anything that goes through a fire like that is still useable when it's cleaned up. Probably what lead you can find, but I'm not sure about the heavy stuff like loading press's. If you find a lead tester, send it back and I'll fix it and return it (I know it can be fixed!!). Can brass be rehardened and used??

Boolit Master
    Lloyd:

Terrible loss !

I have several "new in box" duplicates of some of the old LEE 6-cavity Group Buys that I know you were in on ! Once you start setting up again they are yours !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy

Sorry dude.

Don't forget to tell the insurance company about the Stratavarious and piccasos you keep by the reloading bench

The dillons may be salvagable. Replace some plastic parts.
    The lead is still there.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master

Sorry for your loss, Lloyd. I hope we all can come to your rescue in some way!!

Doug

WOW!! I'm a "newbie" here but I see your name everywhere there's a new mould being discussed or proposed. You must have had just about every boolit mould known to man and the loss of a collection like that must be devastating...

We've gotta keep guys like you "in the loop" and I join in with others in saying anything you need to keep you shooting this summer requires that you just tell us what we can do.

Maybe you can't get back the labor you've put into all those loaded rounds, but much of what you lost could be replaceable with time and I'll bet you'd have a lot of help from this board....

You have our prayers and best wishes..... I'm so glad neither you or your wife were injured....
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master

Lloyd,

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. That really sucks wind. Were your molds iron by chance? Seems like they may be salvagable if they didn't get cooled too fast by water. Obviously you probably don't care to talk about it right now, but let us know if we can help you get back in business.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Lloyd, Sorry to hear that devastated probably does'nt cover how your feeling. All I can say is hang in there and I'll be prayin for ya. FB

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. What a gut wrenching loss. I don't know much about it, but how would insurance handle this? Assuming you have some sort of insurance for the property. I also assume that your weapons were not in the workshop? I typically only have weapons in garage when I am doing some sort of work on them.

I know how how bad it is losing something you are passionate about. A few years ago I came home from work to find my motorcycle had been stolen. I remember turning the corner and seeing the bike gone - my heart skipped a beat and I just felt hollow inside. The feeling of helplessness and knowing that the bike would never be recovered really made me mad. I had put so much work and time into that bike just to have some scumbag steal it. It was most likely parted out or shipped overseas as it was never recovered. Nonetheless, I feel your pain. No worries, you'll be back on your feet before long.

My deepest sympathies. I can not imagine how it feels to loose it all and I know words are poor comfort in these times but better days will come.

Boolit Grand Master

Lloyd, how much will your insurance cover? Especially if no specific cause is found? Yeah, the lead may be recoverable, melt it and all the junk floats. That's little comfort given the amount of shooting you have been doing and the help you have consistently offered us here. My prayers are with you.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Bummer, Lloyd. Sorry to hear that.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Lloyd that really sucks. Glad no one was hurt but I can't imagine how you feel cause I have the empty hole in the stomach just thinking about it. Now I know why my wife is always griping at me to make sure I turned of all of my casting stuff when I come out of the basement.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of items and help from folks on this forum. Would the steel/iron dies be salvagable?

Take care and let us know what we can do!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Man I'm at a loss for words, just glad you are aright. Sorry for your misfortune. John

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast