Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: 338 Whisper on order

Boolit Buddy

338 Whisper on order

I called SSK today and placed an order for a stainless 18" T Contender barrel in 338 Whisper-7mmBR. However, it will 4-6 weeks before its get here. I guess it will be my mid-to-late summer fun project. Anyone here already shooting this puppy?

Boolit Bub
    Is this barrel for the Encore or Contender? I thought they would not chamber the 338 WH in a Contender. For the subsonic loads it would be no problem, but for the heavy loads it would have the same problems as a 308 winchester... too large a case head and too much pressure.

captainkirk

PS Best of luck with this one, if I ever got back into the ss pistols this would be one cartridge I would be interested in.

Boolit Buddy
    It is for a Contender. Got it in writing.

Boolit Master
    Sounds pretty neat. Are you getting a can for it?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    I am not getting a can for it right now, but I did ask whether retro-fit of a can would be a problem down the road. Mr. Jones replied that it would not be a problem. The paper work sounds like a hassle. Anyone on the forum from the Austin area already done it?

Boolit Buddy
    Placed order back in May; still waiting on my SSK barrel. Trying to be patient, but its getting more difficult by the day

Paperwork for a can is pretty straight forward. Find a class 3 dealer or check the atf website for the paperwork required. It's all simple stuff. Fingerprint card to be done by your local police chief, couple forms about citizenship and the actual transfer form.

I've wanted a whisper for a while.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Cost????

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't order a can, but the SSK folks said I could add one later. I am just waiting on the barrel, base, and rings. I have had a bad morning so I better just stop thinking about it.

Boolit Master

I just bought a encore receiver in SS just to shoot the 300 whisper. You will have to let me know how the 338 shoots. I know I can get the 300 whisper barrels from TC and they are in stock, I will place my order for one next week when I pay for my new S&W 500.

Boolit Bub
    Any update on the 338 Whisper?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    I am not getting a can for it right now, but I did ask whether retro-fit of a can would be a problem down the road. Mr. Jones replied that it would not be a problem. The paper work sounds like a hassle. Anyone on the forum from the Austin area already done it?
    If you do decide to get a can for it, a member here Hotguns, owns a company called Bailey Signature Firearms, and is a SOT. He makes some of the best suppressors out there, and makes them custom to your specs. In a sound test, with the state police, His suppressor beat all factory cans at the test, including a .22lr, and his is on a .300 whisper! His machining is top-notch.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 18" Contender Custom barrel (1 in 8) that is threaded. Would be neat to get a can for it.

I normally use 680 with the 314299 but may try AA#2 with light charges to make it quieter.

Boolit Buddy
    I should have posted an update months ago. I finally did get the SSK barrel but I have been busy with work and shooting other rifles and handguns. The 338 whisper project sort of just got bought on the backburner . Last week I put the barrel on the contender frame and loaded 20 rounds of Hornady 250 gr. RN and 8.4 gr. of HP38. It shot okay at 50 yards after I got it sighted in, but at 100 the groups opened up and were way low. If I get to shoot this weekend, I will try 9.4 gr. That should still be in the 1000 fps neighborhood. If that does well, I will post photos of the rig and the target(s). If I can get it (and me) to shoot this combo well enough I will turn to cast bullets. I ordered some 250 gr. LFN-GC bullets from Montana Bullet Works shortly after I placed the order for the barrel and began the waiting game. They have just been sitting there all this time.

Boolit Buddy
    geez. I can't seem to type or spell once I get home from the office. Getting old s****!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    I should have posted an update months ago. I finally did get the SSK barrel but I have been busy with work and shooting other rifles and handguns. The 338 whisper project sort of just got bought on the backburner . Last week I put the barrel on the contender frame and loaded 20 rounds of Hornady 250 gr. RN and 8.4 gr. of HP38. It shot okay at 50 yards after I got it sighted in, but at 100 the groups opened up and were way low. If I get to shoot this weekend, I will try 9.4 gr. That should still be in the 1000 fps neighborhood. If that does well, I will post photos of the rig and the target(s). If I can get it (and me) to shoot this combo well enough I will turn to cast bullets. I ordered some 250 gr. LFN-GC bullets from Montana Bullet Works shortly after I placed the order for the barrel and began the waiting game. They have just been sitting there all this time.
    No problem, glad to hear you are shooting. That is more than I can say for myself.

I look forward to seeing photos of your rig.

Kirk

Boolit Buddy

Talking Short range report

Since lots of folks are sighting in their rifles for the beginning of deer season, the range was really crowded last Sunday. I started out on the pistol range and almost skipped shooting on the rifle range. Only a 50-yard slot was available. Below are the targets. On the right target I held at 6 o'clock and the other was a bullseye hold. The recipe was 9.6 gr. of HP38, Hornady 240 gr. JRN, and Fed. Sm Rifle Primers. Recoil was quite mild. It will be interesting to see how low this will shoot at 100 yards the next time out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	26382

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	028.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	26383
    Once I use up this one box of jacketed bullets, I will turn to the cast boolits that I have on hand.

P.S. I came home with a Baby Sharps in 45 Long Colt today. Life is good.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the update and the pics. Looks like a nice rig.

The bullets look pretty long sticking out of those cases...

captainkirk