RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of ditching 38/357

Boolit Buddy

Thinking of ditching 38/357

I am thinking of getting rid of all my 38/357 stuff. I do not even own a 357 anymore. I got a model 60 S&W as a carry piece but I do reload for it. My other carry gun is an S&W M&P 40 and I shoot 44 spl/mag for target shooting.

I have bullets, molds, dies, brass and other stuff. My question, should I just push it to the back of the reloading bench just in case or sell it? I purchased a Model 19 about 7 months ago, kept it 3 months never shot it and sold it. I don't think I will get another 357 (famous last words, huh?)

I am thinking of what I could buy with the money!!!!Malcolm

I'm interested in the dies if you decide to sell.
    NRA Life Member

Keep it!!

A year and half ago when brass recyclers were paying top dollar, I recycled 3 five gallon bucket fulls of odd range brass I accumlulated over the years. One bucket was 9mm "junk" consisting odd makers, foriegn, and military. I withheld a 50 cal ammo can full for my use.

Another was full of 223. I sold the rifle years before and thought I would never get another. Just before the election, I was able to get another AR-15 M4.

I wish had all of the brass now!!!

Good thing I kept my dies and primers!

Boolit Master

The real question isn't what amount of money you'll make by selling the stuff. What you should do is take a guess on what it will cost to replace that gear several years down the road. Please don't ask why I make that suggestion. Suffice it to say, IMHO, you should store the stuff a while longer.

Boolit Master

Just send it all to me, I will hold it for you. When you want it back just PM me, I will send it back.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Put it on the back of the shelf and leave it, you will need it again.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Moderator Emeritus

Keep it! There is no such thing as too many dies, moulds, brass, etc. Trust me, you will eventually get another 38/357 and kick yourself for not keeping your reloading gear for it. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. A master enabler told me this, right Ken??
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

Keep it!

You'll never know when you want to cast & load, or need to for that caliber.
    I love big bore revolvers, but am set up for .38 SPL/.357 magnum simply because it's fun and there are so many guns in those calibers out there.
    Casting and reloading equiopment and loaded ammo in those calibers are like money in the bank.
    If the SHTF, you're good to go. There's nothing worse than backing yourself into a corner you can't get out of.
    With my casting setup, and reloading dies, I'm only a few hours away from producing whatever I need...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Keep it!!!!!!! Unless you need the money real bad I think you should keep it. Been there done that before. I’ve got stuff for calibers that I don’t have anymore. I used to sell or trade stuff off that I didn’t use but it seemed that sooner or later I would wind up buying the same stuff again on down the road. I hardly ever trade or sell a firearm anymore too. Actually I haven’t gotten rid of a firearm in years.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Last year I took a hard look at my mold storage box and realized I had molds I hadn't used in year or had duplicate's of several molds.

In a case like this a little thinning of the herd is a good thing!

I'll suggest you take a good look at the molds you have decide which ones will do double duty for the 38 and move on from there.

The dies can always work for the special so keep those, as for brass I guess it depends on how much you have and how much storage spacwe you got. For 200 case's I think I'd clean and then vacuum pack in a freezer storage bag for the future.

Same thing with powder most can be used for several different pistol calibers, so keep it unless it's a large amount.

Banned
    I would keep it all if I were you, but if you sell the bullets, molds, brass I being new to this I would be interested in these items if you do part with them pending on the type of mold.

Boolit Master
    I got rid of my S&W 9mm back in the 80s, but kept the brass. I have since picked up 9mm (as well as all other calibers) brass over the years. The other day I counted the 9mm brass, there is now over 2,000 cases. But, I will not get rid of it or other brass, dies and molds for guns I no longer have, in today's climate of uncertainty, one just never knows.

Boolit Master
    Speaking from personal experience, never sell either a gun or anything reloading related.

Nah...get rid of it all, it's just cluttering up your reloading bench.........By the way, I'll take the molds off your hands.
    Honestly, never sell that stuff, three years from now you'll find a really nice 357 revolver and need it all back. I have regreted every mold I've ever sold at some point and time.
    It is time for the taxpayers in this country to impose term limits at the ballot box. Vote all encumbents out every election, no matter which party. It is time they remember who they work for and who pays the bills.

Boolit Master
    You'll wish you had it down the line. Keep it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Bub
    KEEP IT! I own dies and moulds for guns I don't own. I admit some of these items are for guns I have owned and might get another one someday and some are for guns I desire to own and some stuff is for guns I have no interest in but might someday. Clean your stuff up and preserve it for storage so when the bug bites you again you will be able to justify your purchase since you have all the reloading gear.

Boolit Master

I'd say keep it or try to trade it for something else. Always good to have some trading stock around. FB

I have been reloading for 51 years and I still have every set of dies, every loading tool and every bullet mold I purchased to us.

Now, I have had some stuff come my way, that I took on trade which I had no intention of keeping. I consider that stuff "trading stock" and I get rid of it when it is to my advantage to do so.

But my stuff? That I keep! ONe never knows what he will need and when he will need it.

In Remembrance

The surest way for me to come across a gun deal I just can't pass up is to sell the dies, moulds, and brass. Murphy's Law dictates it.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like have a good excu....I mean , need for a little lever action in 357.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast