WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCE .224 jacket maker die arrived.

I made about 1k jackets tonight with my fairly new jacket making dies. Curious about the long term effect of the primer compound on the stem, as well as running unlubed cases through the die. I lubed about every other case and they seemed to all go through ok. rigged up a lee bullet hopper and that really sped up the process not having to pluck two finished cases every other stroke. Since the other form dies take care of the final jacket dimensions I'm wondering just how many usable cases Corbins jacket maker will make.

My firearms project blog

Old War Horse

Thumbs up Hopeful

WW...

I replaced my "stem" as you call it, aka the punch that goes inside of the empty .22 RF cases, with one made of solid tungsten carbide. As you seem to have noticed the priming compound residue is QUITE abrasive. I.E. it's like running that punch into sand. I'm fairly certain you'll see some wear fairly soon.

I was lucky, and was able to make my punch, years ago, from solid carbide. You may well have to find a local source to replace that punch from time to time.

Keep lubing the cases, the die needs it. Also as a reminder, keep your empties as clean and free of grit as you .possibly. can. It'll save having to replace the drawing die that irons off the rims, as often. I've also been known to tumble the cases clean after annealing and before running thru the drawing die. In this situation, clean is _very_ good.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Curious about the long term effect of the primer compound on the stem, as well as running unlubed cases through the die. I lubed about every other case and they seemed to all go through ok.
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master

I've noticed that the Remington cases clean up inside better with the Dawn and boiling water than the Federal and Winchester cases. Less/different priming compound ? I do wipe any residue off every few strokes. My "hopper" is a yogurt cup with appropriate hole punched in it ! Holds about 350 derimmed cases, about all I do at a time anyway.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone considered having their dies and punches TiN coated by CH-4D? The cost is reasonable, and they should last significantly longer. Alternately, hard chrome might be worth considering.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

A hard coat on at least the internal punch sounds good, anything to resist the abrasion. I realize that my carbide punch would be seriously expensive for the ordinary jobber. I was lucky I was able to grind my own.

Jim
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    I have worn out 2 punches since I got my set 5 years ago. Corbin sells just the punch that screws into the base for $6. I just bought a bunch of them to get me though.

I didn't think about getting it coated by CH though, that just might help. How thick is the coating they put on?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    I have worn out 2 punches since I got my set 5 years ago. Corbin sells just the punch that screws into the base for $6. I just bought a bunch of them to get me though.

I didn't think about getting it coated by CH though, that just might help. How thick is the coating they put on?
    "Titanium Nitride coatings have been used in industry for many years, primarily to extend the life of carbide tools. It has not been useful in reloading until recent advances in technology permitted TiN coating a die without softening the steel of the die itself. A TiN coated sizer in 308 Win showed no measurable wear after sizing 50,000 rounds. Although Titanium Nitride is harder than Carbide & has a lower coefficient of friction it does not eliminate the need for lubricant when full-length sizing cases. It does reduce sizing effort considerably and minimize the lubricant required.

* TiN coated dies will live longer and require less force to operate than any die available on planet Earth ! Price is for 7/8-14 dies. Call for quote on larger sizes.
    * TiN coated expander balls work smoother and eliminate the need for lubricating the inside of the case neck. Available in 17 to 45cal.
    * If you ever manage to wear out your TiN coated die, we will replace it at NO CHARGE to you ! All we ask is that you tell us how many rounds you?ve loaded with it.

TiN coating other manufacturer's dies; can be done, and is usually successful, however we have no control over the material or heat treatment of these dies and cannot guarantee the results. Any coating of any part nit mfg. by us is done entirely at the customer's risk."

I reckon you'd have to contact them and ask about that.

http://www.ch4d.com/
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    ETG,

Just curious, how long have you been waiting for your dies? I know the Corbin's are backed up too, so I was wondering how far behind Dr. Blackmon is.

Thanks,
    Dan
    My 223 swaging dies and press came today Wait was about 2 to 2 1/2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    WW...

I replaced my "stem" as you call it, aka the punch that goes inside of the empty .22 RF cases, with one made of solid tungsten carbide. As you seem to have noticed the priming compound residue is QUITE abrasive. I.E. it's like running that punch into sand. I'm fairly certain you'll see some wear fairly soon.

I was lucky, and was able to make my punch, years ago, from solid carbide. You may well have to find a local source to replace that punch from time to time.

Keep lubing the cases, the die needs it. Also as a reminder, keep your empties as clean and free of grit as you .possibly. can. It'll save having to replace the drawing die that irons off the rims, as often. I've also been known to tumble the cases clean after annealing and before running thru the drawing die. In this situation, clean is _very_ good.

Jim
    Looking at the stem its a really really REALLY simple lathe project. I can turn a few extras out in a day. (I only have 1" drill rod on had LOL)
    My firearms project blog

I have to save up money for the press and dies. For now I will have to get by with my Rockchucker and CH4D dies for 10mm.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12