Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCE .224 jacket maker die arrived.

RCE .224 jacket maker die arrived.

Now I have to save up for the Walnut Hill press.

Looks fairly easy to work with. The threaded die goes in the top of the press and the punch screws into the ram. Case is lubed then placed on the punch and firmly but slowly raised through the die. The rod laying down is to push out a broken jacket. Six jackets were included as examples. Three brass colored ones are .22LR and the longer nickel ones I think are .22WMR. The short ones are .715" long and the others are .810" long. The instructions state the .22LR cases will draw out to .700" or so and will make about a 50gr OT bullet or 55gr SP.

I haven't figured out what the one on the left is for yet. The directions aren't clear and their are no pictures or diagrams. It seems to be the core seating punch but the attachment method to the press baffles me.

This end is internally threaded.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Mold
    So, what is the average cost for this stuff.

Just got here, and been wondering how to get started.

$75 shipped. The swaging dies will run little less than $500. The Walnut Hill press will run $350.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Buddy
    if you are going to buy a walnut hill press you should order it now,it could be 6 months or more before you see it

Dammit.

Live generously.

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

As I understand you, this is a jacket making kit correct? A kit to make jackets from .22 RF cases...

If this assumption on my part is correct the punch on the left is what will go up inside of the empty cases and be attached to ram of your press. Than you'd ease the empty case up into the drawing die to iron off the rim of the case. What I can't figure is how it attaches to the ram of the press. You mention a Walnut Hill Press. I've been out of the Reloading Game for a long time, but I'm assuming that the internal threads would have to used in a fashion to attach to the press.

What I don't see is the jacket removal system, from the punch, once you get the priming rim ironed off.

I'd suggest contacting the die makers and ask them...

Good Luck,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post

I haven't figured out what the one on the left is for yet. The directions aren't clear and their are no pictures or diagrams. It seems to be the core seating punch but the attachment method to the press baffles me.
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

You have everything you need with this die set, but it's a set for the RCE WH Swage press.
    The punch is for the top punch holder.

Here are instructions for the other Corbin's dies. The principle is the same.

http://www.corbins.com/rfjm.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    As I understand you, this is a jacket making kit correct? A kit to make jackets from .22 RF cases...
    Yes, it's the jacket making die to make .224 jackets with .22 rimfire cases.

If this assumption on my part is correct the punch on the left is what will go up inside of the empty cases and be attached to ram of your press. Than you'd ease the empty case up into the drawing die to iron off the rim of the case.
    No. The large, dark piece threads onto the ram and the punch that is already in that is the punch that is used to push the casing into the die.

What I don't see is the jacket removal system, from the punch, once you get the priming rim ironed off.
    It's a pass through die. You put the casing on the punch, raise it in the die, lower the ram, put another case on the punch, raise it up and repeat. Jackets are pushed up from underneath and exit the top of the die. No jacket removal system is needed.

Live generously.

Boolit Master

.22 derimming dies are also available that work in a regular press - I use a set of Blackmon dies , but use 'em in the Corbin press with the reloading adapter mostly 'cause it's so much better leverage wise - but I've used 'em in several single stage reloading presses and had no trouble either

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    .22 derimming dies are also available that work in a regular press - I use a set of Blackmon dies , but use 'em in the Corbin press with the reloading adapter mostly 'cause it's so much better leverage wise - but I've used 'em in several single stage reloading presses and had no trouble either
    Are Blackmon dies still available? I googled it but no results.

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

Freakshow, that clears things up quite a bit, thank you... I didn't realize the setup was intended for pass thru...

Jim
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I have some stuff like that,would take only about $100.00 to get both pieces!
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

Boolit Master

Larry Blackmon(Bullet Swaging Supply, Inc.) has no website - call him at 318-387-7257 or write BSSI, 303 McMillan Road, West Monroe, LA 71291

Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    Are Blackmon dies still available? I googled it but no results.
    I just got my derimming die from Larry (works great). Waiting on the rest of the dies. He has been rearranging his shop and is running behind.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Larry Blackmon(Bullet Swaging Supply, Inc.) has no website - call him at 318-387-7257 or write BSSI, 303 McMillan Road, West Monroe, LA 71291
    Or

Bullet Swaging Supply, Inc.
    PO Box 1056
    West Monroe, LA 71291
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional

Boolit Master
    ETG,

Just curious, how long have you been waiting for your dies? I know the Corbin's are backed up too, so I was wondering how far behind Dr. Blackmon is.

Thanks,
    Dan

Boolit Master
    ETG,

Just curious, how long have you been waiting for your dies? I know the Corbin's are backed up too, so I was wondering how far behind Dr. Blackmon is.

Thanks,
    Dan

That thing on the left is a core seat die for the 3 die set.

I just got my WH press up and running today with the dies from Richard. If you have any other Q's let me know....I'm learning as I go. I got a jacket maker as well.
    My firearms project blog

I have only been waiting maybe two months. He has everything except one punch and a core swage die. I ask him to go on and send me the derimming die so I could make the jackets while waiting on the other dies and press. Derimming die arrived in about a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast