Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Another Lube Idea

Another Lube Idea

With the wealth of knowledge here, this has probably been covered... but I will venture on, having not found this possible alternative yet.

This past week, I spent quite a bit of time at one of our plants, where we make gearing. During a tour I encountered the smell that was unmistakeable, I smelled liquid alox. Never paid attention before, but now that I am casting, my nose perked up and the search was on. Turns out that the fininished product is coated in this black alox for long term storage. Its like a semi tacky black wax when dry. Smells just like LLA.

Anyone tried anything like this stuff?
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Maybe if you could find out what it is called???
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Moderator Emeritus

Cosmoline it sounds like to me, I have no idea if it's the same as alox, others here will know. I have often wondered this myself, being a retired machinist I have dealt with literally tons of cosmoline over the years.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Buddy
    It could have similar ingrediants namely calcium soap but probably is not LLA. LPS3 also smells like LLA and even looks like LLA. So does some auto rustproofing sprays I've seen/smelled. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work...and was tempted to try LPS3 since I have a gallon jug of the stuff. But not willing to be the guinea pig though...

Moderator Emeritus

Alox 606-70 or 606-55 are pretty common industrial rust/ corrosion preventatives and are the base for LLA.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    As anyone on here will tell you. Just about everything has been used as lube. And it just about always works for one type of load or another. And everything has been tried for flux. And it just about always works.

Of course, I don't know why anyone would want to look for an alternative to LLA, since Lar45 has 32ounce Jugs of Liquid XLOX (Same thing as Alox) for like $10. Thats the best deal going in my opinion. As I dilute it 60/40 with Mineral Spirits anyways.

If you do the math thats about 50 ounces of LLA for about $15.

Did I mention that stuff works just fine on non-Tumble Lube boolits too. Lots of people here have used it with success.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    As I dilute it 60/40 with Mineral Spirits anyways.

If you do the math thats about 50 ounces of LLA for about $15.

Did I mention that stuff works just fine on non-Tumble Lube boolits too. Lots of people here have used it with success.

I'm with you there brother. The old lubrisizer collects dust as I use xlox for everything that is to be shot under 1200fps.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I'm with you there brother. The old lubrisizer collects dust as I use xlox for everything that is to be shot under 1200fps.
    Does that mean you don't need it anymore??? I'll PM you my shipping address

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Add me to the club--except my lubesizer doesn't really collect dust. I do use it for all my long gun boolits and others. But I have a fair number of TL moulds, which (un)surprisingly churn out some of my absolute best and most accurate boolits.

I also use the tumble-lube mix for traditional lube-grooved boolits as well, and with great success. I cut my LLA in half with JPW that I've put on the griddle and "cooked off" the distillates (or as much as I can). In it goes with the LLA and then I add about ten percent odorless mineral spirits.

Great stuff. Once I got my "technique" down, I have had zero problems with my seating dies getting "gunked up," and I have very little smoke, no leading and a nice clean, shiny bore.