Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 7mm to 270 with a lee push through ?

Moderator Emeritus

7mm to 270 with a lee push through ?

A friend wants to shoot heavy bullets in a 6.8 SPC with a suppressor but cant find anything over 150 gr in 270. Could I run 165 or 175 gr 7mm bullets through a Lee push through sizer to get 270s? Will the core separate from the jackets by doing this or will it work acceptably?
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

I've got a box of the old Speer 270 170gr RN if he wants to try those. I don't have any plans for them. Long time discontinued but you still see a box turn up from time to time at the gun shows.

Nosler used to sell a 160 gr Partition for the 270. Don't know whether they still do. I have a box of those, too.

-ktw

Banned
    I doubt at the low speeds needed for a suppressor that will happen. I'm trying to figure out how he's going to load that very long bullet in the 6.8. It's going to be seated deep, very deep. Wondering too what twist his rifle has.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    A friend wants to shoot heavy bullets in a 6.8 SPC with a suppressor but cant find anything over 150 gr in 270. Could I run 165 or 175 gr 7mm bullets through a Lee push through sizer to get 270s? Will the core separate from the jackets by doing this or will it work acceptably?
    I have done it, and it works fine - especially with bonded bullets. I used a "two-step" draw die, as canting can be a problem if the bullet isn't properly aligned before the drawing takes place:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33520

However, if your friend is going to shoot subsonic loads, he'll be much better off using cast boolits.
    Cap'n Morgan

Moderator Emeritus

barrel is 1:11 twist. I gave him the option of getting the RCBS 150gr mold and he may go that route. I got to looking at stabilizing bullets and it looks like even the 150gr may be on the ragged edge of stable. The 135gr SMK may be the best fit for a jacketed subsonic.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

barrel is 1:11 twist. I gave him the option of getting the RCBS 150gr mold and he may go that route. I got to looking at stabilizing bullets and it looks like even the 150gr may be on the ragged edge of stable. The 135gr SMK may be the best fit for a jacketed subsonic.
    I could send some RCBS 270-150-SP to test.

Hornady makes a 150 grain round nose. The round nose and flat base would make it the easiest to stabilize. It's one of the most accurate 100 yard bullet I've shot in my 270 Win. I loaded some up one year for bear in heavy woods. I sent some of my cast RCBS 270-150-SP to a fellow to try in his 6.8 AR but haven't heard how they shot. That's a single shot load proposition. That bullet has a very high B.C. And should make a dandy sub sonic load. I've also a Lyman 122 grain Loverin that would be accurate I'm sure. And loadable to magazine length.

Banned

I was worried that it may have been an 11 twist. That's one of the later ones. The earlier 6.8's had much faster twists and because of a few different types of ammunition out there (some being ragged edge hot) there were pressure issues. Thus the 11 twist to help eliminate some of the pressure.

Joe