Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: H&R single shot rifle barrell hanger thingo

Boolit Master

H&R single shot rifle barrell hanger thingo

Hopefull just a quick and esay Question.
    Think I have finally found a H&R with a 30-30 barrell.

The forearm is the long one type with the hanger off the barrell near the muzzle.

Is this better / easier to tune for accuracy?? Etc.

Or no difference /Good bad or ugly?? arrangement.
    Any help /insight appreciated.

Or should I just wait for normal type one???

Is an sb1 action from what I can gather with a .410 30/30 factory job.

Any help muchly appreciated.
    Bruce
    (novice apprentice with these there contraptions)

Boolit Master
    You can always order a new fore end from H&R

Boolit Master
    yeah thanks Nick

Boolit Buddy
    I've never had one with the mannlicher style forearm so can't say how well they shoot but if you ask on Graybeards board you will find some folks that have them and can help you out. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0

I think that the SB1 limits you in which calibers can be added later. I think that the SB2 is required for the higher pressure cartridges. I think that they both look the same, but are made of different materials or have different heat treat. You might want to check with NEF (H&R) about that. You might want to bring that up when discussing the price you are willing to pay for the gun. The SB2 is not that expensive new.

The forearms are easy to change. They are an off the shelf item.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    If you want to buy it on it's own merits, do it. I wouldn't buy it looking to add other barrels or get exotic with it. Pretty sure it'll prolly shoot minute of deer at least for a couple of shots. With the full length wood, it might be touchy getting real good accuracy, especially without a whole lot of tinkering.

Me thinks it would make a real fun like knock around and survival gun.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Well I 've just bought it and have to wait to get it to see how it goes.
    May take a while
    Could find nothing on grey beards forum "yet" about the mannlicher style forearm but there is lots of info there as well as here to find
    I won't be needing extra barrells for it .
    Its sole purpose in life will be for travelling so a snake/small feathery/ furry eating criiter gun plus the 30-30 for anything bigger will I think about do the job when the situation arises.
    Not really full on hunting but a poke at something when the opertunity arises
    See how it shapes up in the end.
    As long as I can get the 1st couple of shots away where I want 'em the rest is pretty well accademic.
    thanks for the help.
    Much appreciated.
    Heres a samall pic of it.
    the handger screw/lug thing it right up near the end.

Bruce

If you get piffed at the forend, sell it to me! Or trade?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I owned a H&R that was chambered to 22 Hornet and sported the Mannlicher forend. To my surprise it shot much better than I had been led to expect. Very well indeed with LIL GUN as a propellant. Don't under rate the old 30.30. It is certainly not a 30.06 or even a 303 but is certainly adequate for the game in Australia with the exception of your Water Buffalo. You are right! I like the venerable 30.30 and own five of them. A Savage model 170 pump, Winchester 1894, Marlin 336, Single Shot Savage Model 219 and a Stevens Model 325. Yes the 30.30 does have lmitations. If you plan on picking a fight with a Buff you had better be able to pick your shot and also have a tree that is easy to climb within close range. I reckon that the same applies to a 303 however. I have never owned a Martini that was chambered for 30.30 but did own one that was rechambered for the 32 Winchester Special. The recoil fom that flea weight little devil would suck the snot right out of your nose. I later owned an Egyptian Calvary Carbine that was evidently originally chambered for 303 and carried the Citadel Brand. Unfortunately it was still in the original preservative and I became disabled and was forced to sell it before I was able to fire it.
    I could rable on for several ore pages about the 30.30 but had better shut my yap for tonight. Enjoy yourself! Neil

Moderator Emeritus
    Bruce, I had one of those several years back when they were only H & R. Mine was in .22 Hornet and I shot it in several timed fire events were we warmed up that barrel somewhat; no problems with accuracy but I don't know where the barrel hanger thingo was positioned.

BTW keep your eyes on the horizon, the Pony Express is on the way and should be there in a couple of days. Refer to your PM's for details.

Best of luck and hope it shoots well for you,
    John
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

On Greybeard there is a list of serial numbers to give you an idea of when it was made. Looks like you may have a newer action and 410 barrel with an older 30-30 barrel.
    I had an old Topper combo, 20ga/30-30 that I sold to my friend.
    He used a load that was discussed on another thread from an IMR pamplet that proved to be was too hot. 35grs. of 3031 was listed in 1995, 2002? listed 31.5 max.
    So doulbe check your load data with the powder man. web-sites.
    He slighty damaged the receiver around the firing pin hole.
    The older guns had iron receivers, then they went to steel. Now the SB1 is steel, the SB2
    is heat treated steel. SB1 is shotgun or muzzleloader only.
    These guns can shoot very well are are usually easy to load for. Enjoy.

Boolit Master
    Thanks leadman the serial number NF 22-----8 so according to the greybeards site be a '91 model.
    Think I'll be using ADI 2207 with the 30-30. That way I can also use the powder in my K-hornet.(hoping both will like it)
    If I load the .410 I could use 2205 then in the hornet as well.
    Hmmm.If I leave the jacketed bullets out I could use 1 less powder.

Cast bullet powder don't know yet maybe try ADI trail boss ??

Any way thankss for the heads up on the 3031 pwder. I'll be weighing my charges for the makers data till I find what it likes then make a dipper for it.

Big John!!!
    I went to the post office and low and behold it had a yellow pic up tag in it..!!!

Ghee thats super quick mail...you got friends in the know or something???
    Thanks...I really mean thats..Perfect for what I want and all in near new condition..much better than I had even hoped for!!!

Thanks heaps.

Off to Cairns soon to pic up some shooting supplies and other stuff.
    So I'll have to find some shells and j projectiles. thinking of a pointy bullet that will open up and work well for pigs and still go down range with out falling of the page after 150 ydrs, Anysuggestions?? plenty for higher speed 308's but I can't seem to find anything on 30-30 velocities!!! Nosler ballistic tips 125 grs suppose to work at sub velocities even but I don't know if they would just go splat on a pig and make'em angry or not.
    Anyone had success with pointy stuff. Don't know how much those leverlution ammo is or pojo's but I think they'll be dear enough not to shoot off at paper anyways. Cheap baststard aint I!!!

Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    Barra,

The really spiffy thing about these old tip-up pot irons is that you needn't concern yourself about bullet nose shape. I've been shooting Lyman 311299's designed for .303 Brit. in the early 1900's in my Topper 158 with 11 gr. of Unique with happy results. At 50 yds I'm plopping ten into about 6-6 1/2". Now I know that the standard internet group report is supposed to be 4mm fifty shot groups offhand at 455 meters in a 50 KPH sidewind, but in my dotage I just can't do that anymore. On the other hand, where I hunt it's very, very brushy so a long shot at a deer is around fifty to sixty feet. So any rifle as handy and quick as a Topper and puts bullets within three inches of point of aim is going to put venison in the freezer if the driver is actually awake when he jer.......pulls the trigger.
    Back to bullet shapes. I bought a gallon paint can full of mixed .30 cal j-word bullets at a garage sale some years back for five bucks. There are about fifteen pounds of 'em. Several dozen are 165 gr spire points of unknown origin. They will go into 4" at 50 yds and at 1800 + fps are deadly and pleasant to shoot.

There's a bunch of pointy bullets and bunches of round nosed ones including a handful of 220 grainers that will be interesting to shoot.

I'm even considering loading a handful of 130 gr cast boolits over black powder just to make a mess and annoy people at the range. It'll be fun to see how it feels and if they make it all the way to 50 yards, too.

I feel like a kid with a new toy.

Wait! I AM a kid with a new toy.

Gerry N.

Boolit Grand Master

The 125 gr. Nosler BT is a good deer bullet, but if you are talking wild pig you may want something a little stouter. I use the 125gr BT in my 300Whisper at about 2,100fps and it leaves about a 2 to 3 inch exit hole on a deer.
    THe 165gr. bullets shoot real well in a single shot with good trajectory. This should give you a 200 yard range without too much problem.
    I also shoot the RCBS 150-SP in several of my 30 calibers that gives a trajectory usable to 150 yards.