Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How much interest in a MiHec bulit Magma design 9mm 147gr. FP BB 6 cavity mold.

Boolit Buddy

How much interest in a MiHec bulit Magma design 9mm 147gr. FP BB 6 cavity mold.

Updated 5/30/09:

45 2.1 has drawn the final design for the group buy.

The mold will be a MiHec 9mm 147gr. FP BB (solid point), aluminum six cavity mold.

The mold will use Lee six cavity mold handles.

You will have a choice in as cast bullet diameters, .357" or .359".

I have started a unofficial list of people that would be in on the MiHec built 9mm 147gr. FP BB 6 cavity group buy mold.

This list is only to help MiHec keep track of the people interested in this group buy.

If I have you on the list and you are not interested let me know, I will remove you from the list.

If you want in on this group buy, post in this thread and how many molds you would like.

We will need the minimum of 20 molds for this group buy to happen.

This will run until MiHec is read to make the mold.

I am not a Honcho.

MiHec will be the Honcho, you will contact him when he is ready.

Thank you,

WCK
    Last edited by Windy City Kid; 06-28-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: update

I have the Lyman 2 cavity mold in 147 gr FP and like it. I also have the Lee 6 cavity 140gr SWC mold in .358 which I size to .356 and my 9mm's love them as well. Like to use Power Pistol in that weight range. Can really crank out the boolits with a 6 cavity.
    I would be in for the 6 cavity in .356 or .358.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you want a bevel base or flat base or GC? The one on the web site is a bb, not a design that most like.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    It would be a bevel base bullet design. The bevel base bullet loads much easier in a 9mm. Heavy flat base bullets tend to bulge cases when seating the bullets deep in 9mm cases.

If you are worried about running the bullets through a Lyman/RCBS sizer and getting lube on the base of the bullet, I think Buckshot makes sizer dies with a center pin that will fit bevel base bullets.

I use a Star sizer so I don't have a problem with lube on the base of the bullet.

I am not much on bevel base. I will be on the fence waiting.

Boolit Master
    that nose looks a little longer than the lyman 147 gr rn fn bb. is it? do you have any of the bullets on hand like what you want this mold to cast? i would be in for one. i to like the bb and have never found them to lead any different than fb. i use a star sizer.

I dont have much time loading 9mm. I prefer flat base for all my 45acp. I too size in a Star and taper crimp when loading. I didnt think it would be much different with 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 686 View Post
    that nose looks a little longer than the lyman 147 gr rn fn bb. is it? do you have any of the bullets on hand like what you want this mold to cast? i would be in for one. i to like the bb and have never found them to lead any different than fb. i use a star sizer.
    I would think the Magma147 gr bullet is a little longer than the Lyman. The Lyman 147 gr. is a RNFP BB and the Magma is a 147 gr. FP BB. The Lyman has a fatter nose. The Magma 147 gr. allows you to load the bullets to a longer OAL, because of it thinner nose. You want to load a 9mm bullet to almost touch the barrel throat and you want to try not to seat the bullet to deep, so you can keep the chamber presure down. I think the Magma 147 gr. is a better bullet design than the Lyman.

The Magma 9mm 147 gr FP BB bullet design is what almost all commercial casters use.

This is the most accurate 9mm bullet I have ever shot.

Yes I have some 147 gr. bullets that I would like the mold to cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    I dont have much time loading 9mm. I prefer flat base for all my 45acp. I too size in a Star and taper crimp when loading. I didnt think it would be much different with 9mm.
    The 45 acp is a very easy cartridge to load for, I load the Lyman # 452460 for the 45 acp, it a plain base bullet.

The 9mm is a much more difficult cartridge to load for. The reason why is the 9mm is a tappered case. If you load the bullets to deep or you have thick cases they won't chamber, this is exspecially true if you have to go with a bigger diameter like .357 or .358.

Reloading for 9mm and getting them to shoot good with out leading is two different things.

I like flat base bullets in every other cartridge but 9mm.

The bevel base bullet is a better design in a 9mm.

Im game to try

Thumbs up

I shoot with the Windy City Kid and use his 147gr 9mm loads. Accuracy is terrific. Because of the low velocity of the 147gr bullet leading is not a problem.

Please count me in on the mold buy.

A J

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by putteral View Post
    I also have the Lee 6 cavity 140gr SWC mold in .358 which I size to .356 and my 9mm's love them as well. .

I've been using the Lee 125gr round nose and my 9MM loves them as well. I had mixed results loading them as cast with no sizing and using the Lee Factory Crimp die to put a gently squeeze on the boolit inside the case. Worked fine in my Taurus but were a little reluctant in my P-38. The ones I sized to .356 ran without a single hick-up.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Kid View Post
    I don't know how to draw bullet designs, I was hoping someone here could post a drawing of the bullet.
    If you want me to draw this, PM me and i'll give you my address so you can send me some samples to measure.

Boolit Mold
    I'd be in for one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    If you want me to draw this, PM me and i'll give you my address so you can send me some samples to measure.
    45 2.1,

PM sent.

I will send the sample bullets when I get your address. Thank you for offering to draw the bullet design.

WCK

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    A couple of things to look at:
    First WCK's boolit at 154 gr.
    Second, an altered version at 153 gr. solid,
    142 gr. HP.
    The weights are what they figure out to. Alloy makes a big weight difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Magma Heavy 9.JPG   Magma Heavy Mod HP.JPG  

Boolit Master
    It needs a crimp groove and should cast .359"....

Boolit Buddy
    It needs a crimp groove and should cast .359"....
    I'll second that!
    Mark Wilson

Land of Enchantment

Wake up and smell the Coffee.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    A couple of things to look at:
    First WCK's boolit at 154 gr.
    Second, an altered version at 153 gr. solid,
    142 gr. HP.
    The weights are what they figure out to. Alloy makes a big weight difference.
    Thank you 45 2.1 for drawing the bullet design.

I have a couple thoughts and ideas for this bullet design.

(1) I would like stay with the basic original design, but with 45 2.1's second design lube groove. I like the altered version's lube groove, this would drop the weight into the high 140's and also give us a deeper lube groove so it could be sized down to .356.

(2) I would like to stay with the first designs bevel base, it works very well in a 9mm. It makes it load much easier in a 9mm because of it seating depth.

(3) I do agree it should cast .359.

(4) I do agree it needs a crimp groove if it is going to be a duel purpose bullet, But the duel purpose I am thinking of is to have a bullet that works well in a 9mm and a .38/.357 cowboy rifle, (Marlin 1894, Uberti 1866 & 1873, Rossi 92), that being said I think the crimp groove should be .400" from the front of the bullet to give us a 38spl. max OAL 1.555".

This bullet design would be similar to the .38 Snakebite bullet, but it would be a duel purpose smokeless powder bullet that is for a 9mm or .38 caliber.

It could be loaded in a .38 spl. case and shot in a .38 spl. revolver or a .38 spl./.357 mag. rifle. It could be shot in a .38 super or a 9mm. So I guess it would be a multi purpose bullet and work well in all of them.

Here is a link to the .38 Snakebite bullet:

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.a...0-6d4ee38b0030

So let me know what you guys think.
    Last edited by Windy City Kid; 05-08-2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: link did't work

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Kid View Post
    Thank you 45 2.1 for drawing the bullet design.

I have a couple thoughts and ideas for this bullet design.

(1) I would like stay with the basic original design, but with 45 2.1's second design lube groove. I like the altered version's lube groove, this would drop the weight into the high 140's and also give us a deeper lube groove so it could be sized down to .356.

(2) I would like to stay with the first designs bevel base, it works very well in a 9mm. It makes it load much easier in a 9mm because of it seating depth.

(3) I do agree it should cast .359.

(4) I do agree it needs a crimp groove if it is going to be a duel purpose bullet, But the duel purpose I am thinking of is to have a bullet that works well in a 9mm and a .38/.357 cowboy rifle, (Marlin 1894, Uberti 1866 & 1873, Rossi 92), that being said I think the crimp groove should be .400" from the front of the bullet to give us a 38spl. max OAL 1.555".

This bullet design would be similar to the .38 Snakebite bullet, but it would be a duel purpose smokeless powder bullet that is for a 9mm or .38 caliber.

It could be loaded in a .38 spl. case and shot in a .38 spl. revolver or a .38 spl./.357 mag. rifle. It could be shot in a .38 super or a 9mm. So I guess it would be a multi purpose bullet and work well in all of them.

Here is a link to the .38 Snakebite bullet:

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.a...0-6d4ee38b0030

So let me know what you guys think.
    Honest, I was kidding about the crimp groove, but if your serious then so am I.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast