WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: No.1 in 405 Win.

Boolit Mold

No.1 in 405 Win.

New to this forum , so forgive me if this has been covered .
    Have a Ruger No.1 in 405 Win. and was wondering if anybody else loaded for it .
    Just looking to compare notes .
    Thanks , Steve

Le Loup Solitaire

405 wcf

Hi and welcome to the forum. I load the 405 for a winchester 1895 rifle using Lyman mold #312263 which is still carried by Midway. It drops bullets measuring .413 which is about right for the old 95. It weighs around 300 grs depending on the alloy used. I shoot it as-cast and lubed with NRA 50/50 formula. I have used IMR 4895 and 4064 powder...45 grains of either gives around 1700 fps which is not too bad recoil-wise. You can go up to around 2250 fps which is the old factory velocity listing. In my 95 with a curved buttplate that kind of load kicks like a blue mule and is not very enjoyable. For hunting purposes with that kind of load in the 405 you can totally flatten anything in the western hemisphere. In your rifle you would not need a crimp and that would prolong case life. Cases are currently made and sold by Hornady, for around $45. for 50, the best price I've seen is in either Midsouth Shooters Supply or Midway. I also on one occasion tried making cases out of 30-40 Krag cases by annealing them and fireforming (blowing them out) with 10 grains of Red Dot and wadded up kleenex tissue over the powder. It worked but the cases were 1/4" short. They worked ok, but then the factory cases once again became available so I stopped doing that. The 405 is a practical and fun round...it was once touted as the most powerful lever action round and I'm sure that is just as potent in the single shot. Good luck/shooting. LLS

Boolit Master

No, but it's one I sure have thought about a lot! Good luck, I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Doug

Boolit Mold
    LLS , Thanks . I haven't tried the 4895 or the 4064 yet . Been working with 3031 from 1700 fps. to 2000 fps. Best group so far was at around 1900 fps. with 1.75"@ 100yds .
    Got the rifle , 2000 cast (300gr.) , 2 boxes of Hornady jacketed (300gr.) and 60 pieces of brass cheaper than I could have bought the rifle alone .
    Thought about trying black in it but haven't gotten to that yet .

Doug , what part of WI. are you from ? I'm near GB.

Thanks , Steve