RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rolling Block strenght

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    My Remington Rolling block #5 type 1905 or 1910 is big.
    My Rolling block #4 made in 1896 is small.

The #5 has 500% of the metal in cross section of the #4

How strong is a rolling block?
    How long is a string?
    That is comparing apples and oranges. A #4 Rolling Block has simply the same design, but nothing else even close to a #5 or a #1 Rolling Block. The #4 is really only safe enough for .22RF, whereas the #1 and #5 were chambered in dozens of large old CF black powder calibers.

Vendor Sponsor

Originally Posted by Clark
    My Remington Rolling block #5 type 1905 or 1910 is big.
    My Rolling block #4 made in 1896 is small.

The #5 has 500% of the metal in cross section of the #4

How strong is a rolling block?
    How long is a string?

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    That is comparing apples and oranges. A #4 Rolling Block has simply the same design, but nothing else even close to a #5 or a #1 Rolling Block. The #4 is really only safe enough for .22RF, whereas the #1 and #5 were chambered in dozens of large old CF black powder calibers.
    I think that is the point Clark is making too. At least that is how I read it.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    This Reply has nothing to do with weather You want to rechambler or Rebarrel. many of the rolling Blocks, Sweedish and Danish were purchased By Bannerman & Son. and Were rechambered. . Before doing anything Bannerman reamed The Sweedish to 50/70, and The Danish were Reamed out to 45/70. . I have a Danish that Has been Reamed out for 45/70. I shoot it with Reduced smokeless Loads. It was originally 11.7x51R danish
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    The Danes converted to smokeless and jacketed in 1896. They kept barrel and thus caliber only new thing on the rifles was a centerfire block.
    Interestingly there was Original US/Remington and Danish (Krupps steel) made actions and the US made ones is of way poorer steel.
    That ment 2 different loads was made where the reduced one had a chisel mark across the case bottom.
    The Danish ones (M67/96) was rated to 1600bar~23200psi and the US ones (M67/97) was rated to 1200bar~17400psi
    The Swedish loaded 8x58RD was also only rated at 1600bar~23200psi.

One of my Rolling blocks was a Spanish 7 mm Mauser carbine. The gunsmith I had that converted it to 50-90 was trained out of Colorado and had no issue with the conversion. No trouble with the case length and loading/unloading and it worked fine. Only problem was that it used a too light barrel and weighed maybe 8-9 pounds and kicked like a mule, even with the stock I put on it. He did claim he replaced the block pin with a good high grade steel pin, not case hardened but tempered.

DEP

I believe Frank DeHaas stated the #1 Rolling Block was good for under 30,000 psi. So stronger than a Trapdoor, but weaker than most other major single shot rifles.

Banned

i love the rolling block action, but personally, no thanx on those old rollers, i prefer modern steel, a good build and DSTs. i'd rather just buy a pedersoli and rest easy, and i have done so 5 times so far, for both .45-70 and .40-65 cartridges.

I'm just the opposite rfd! I love Rollers, but would always choose an original, even if building up a gun. I've got two barreled actions here now awaiting my time to build them up. One will be a .40-65 pistol gripped deluxe BPCR rifle style, and the other will be done in the factory Schuetzen Match rifle style, and .32-40 half octagon. I love the Remington built Rolling Blocks. They're plenty strong enough for the old straight walled BP cartridges.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123