Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Sure was a LONG sucker!

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

Sure was a LONG sucker!

Shooting my 2 recently acquired Yugo Mausers (24 and 24/47) I decided to try some cast.

I have a big long 8mm mold. Similar to the 8mm Maximum and 8mm Karibiner on midsouth but I swear it is more of a blunt design. I could be wrong. It was designed by Rick Tunnell (our own Buckshot) but I don't remember how I got involved in the group buy if there was a group buy, or if I got it from midsouth directly. I don't think it was here, it was before I joined here. Single cavity. Probably got it about 4 years ago.

And STILL it fills up the throats- seated 1/2 way down the neck- the minimum I'd go and still ensure proper neck tension- no resistance to seating. WAY to long to work in the mag.

Tried 17.5 gr of 2400 and 28 gr of 4895. Despite the very heavy bullet, both were quite mild.

The stumper was, it didnt' shoot even as well as the 170 gr FN despite being closer to the rifling. Must be a weight to twist factor coming into play I guess. Still it shot pretty well.

Will have to work up the load a bit more.

Tried 17.5 gr of 2400 and 28 gr of 4895. Despite the very heavy bullet, both were quite mild.
    I have found that boolit weight has little effect on the 'intensity' of the load. They feel the same as lighter boolits.

A curious thing though, for testing I use the same load in my 303 Brit as for the hornet. The 'intensity' is quite different! It surprized me how more 'thump' one gets from a bigger bore and heavier boolit from the same amount of powder.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Smile

Seating way out toward the rifling doesn't always make it shoot better. If the boolit fits closely in the "freebore" section, it can shoot very well with a long travel to the rifling. No different from shooting a revolver in that respect.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

In Remebrance

Yup, I think Buckshot did at least 2 8mm moulds. I have one that's supposed to be around 215 gr IIRC, real shallow lubes grooves. Shoots great though.

Super Moderator

............See: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55472

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Thanks, I saw that. I will be upping that 4895 charge.