RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 92 Puma in 45 Colt

Boolit Mold

92 Puma in 45 Colt

Ok, I posted a thread on the same rifle in 44-40, but as it turns out, for CAS you want your levergun to be the same caliber as your sixguns, so, I exchanged it for one in 45 colt. As such, I figured to just start another thread, and I cant find the other one anyway.

Can anybody make a suggestion for a .45 caliber bullet that will shoot in both my Ruger old model Vaqueros, and my new 1892 Puma? Going to be shooting smokless only, if it matters.

Thanks, Gregg

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you want something like the old classic, Lyman 454191. I think RCBS makes a mold for a RNFP bullet that's lighter weight though, specifically intended for CAS shooters.

Mike

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Gregg, I shoot CAS with the 45 Colt and have 2 92's in that caliber. If you are going to be a "GAMER" and go for the fast time then you will want a 200 gr range bullet. It does not deliver recoil like the 250's. I shoot Frontier Cartridge and full cases of BP so I shoot the the 250's. Do you cast or are you buying your bullets? Go to the Whyte Leather.com site and see what Mark aka Springfield Slim sells for the CAS crowd. He's a forum member and nice guy. You will have to decide in which direction you want to go before you settle on bullets. Try both and then make up your mind. Later David AKA Fairshake aka Cajun Shooter
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Banned

ha: go for the 160.
    and 4.5 grs of clays. if your gonna try and play with the small guns.
    otherwise a good 200 RNFP will do.

Boolit Mold

Puma 92 in 45 Colt

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Gregg, I shoot CAS with the 45 Colt and have 2 92's in that caliber. If you are going to be a "GAMER" and go for the fast time then you will want a 200 gr range bullet. It does not deliver recoil like the 250's. I shoot Frontier Cartridge and full cases of BP so I shoot the the 250's. Do you cast or are you buying your bullets? Go to the Whyte Leather.com site and see what Mark aka Springfield Slim sells for the CAS crowd. He's a forum member and nice guy. You will have to decide in which direction you want to go before you settle on bullets. Try both and then make up your mind. Later David AKA Fairshake aka Cajun Shooter
    I'm gonna be casting my own, though it seems the more I talk to the locals that are helping me get started, the more I'm hearing "buy bullets" instead of talk of casting. Honestly, the only folks I know that are avid boolit casters are the guys I compete with in the single shot world.

I'll research that lyman boolit some more though, got lots and lots of ww's laying around in ingots just waiting to be moulded into remorseless fast moving pieces of cast goodness.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how I make out.

Gregg

Gregg,

It's been my experience that most CAS shooters aren't really shooters at all; most are just blowhards that like to play dressup and talk about all the money they spent, then go brag to the other accountants in their office that they're a "cowboy".

Doing something for themselves really doesn't occur to most of these type of folks, and very few will ever load their own ammo, unless it becomes a financial necessity.

As for myself and my shootin' buddy that I cast and load for, (he reloads too, but I have more free time, and take care of our CAS ammo) we're using the Lee 255 gr. RNFP. It works just fine in all of our guns. I'm just melting down range lead, so alloy varies.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg877 View Post
    Ok, I posted a thread on the same rifle in 44-40, but as it turns out, for CAS you want your levergun to be the same caliber as your sixguns, so, I exchanged it for one in 45 colt. As such, I figured to just start another thread, and I cant find the other one anyway.

Can anybody make a suggestion for a .45 caliber bullet that will shoot in both my Ruger old model Vaqueros, and my new 1892 Puma? Going to be shooting smokless only, if it matters.

Thanks, Gregg
    I do not shoot CAS , but I cast and load Lee

90358 MOLD_DC_452-255-RF

for my .45 LC Puma and S&W M25-5 .

God bless
    Wyr

Boolit Master
    I use my 45 Colt guns for several things like hunting, pliking and SASS shoots. I use different bullets for all of these different uses. One thing is for sure you go through a lot of bullets at SASS shoots. Because of that and to save time casting I bought a lee 200 gr RNFP six cavity mold. This mold makes lots of bullets fairly fast and I do not size them and lube them with LLA. They are accurate enough out of both rifle and pistol with 6gr of Red Dot powder to hit your typical SASS target with ease. Also recoil is less so times are faster.

"It's been my experience that most CAS shooters aren't really shooters at all; most are just blowhards that like to play dressup and talk about all the money they spent, then go brag to the other accountants in their office that they're a "cowboy".

Doing something for themselves really doesn't occur to most of these type of folks, and very few will ever load their own ammo, unless it becomes a financial necessity."

What a load of absolute crap! every shooter I shoot cas with reloads their own ammo,and many of them cast their own.
    sheesh

as to the rifle loads,the lighter you go bullet-wise,the less the brass seals in the chamber and the more smoke in your face near the bolt area.At least that's the way it is with my Rossi in 45 colt.Heavier bullets work better,but you do get more recoil,although soft-shooting powder like Trail Boss can help there.

what is more important is to have the action working slick and smoothe,imho.

Quote Originally Posted by spurrit View Post
    Gregg,

It's been my experience that most CAS shooters aren't really shooters at all; most are just blowhards that like to play dressup and talk about all the money they spent, then go brag to the other accountants in their office that they're a "cowboy".

Doing something for themselves really doesn't occur to most of these type of folks, and very few will ever load their own ammo, unless it becomes a financial necessity.

As for myself and my shootin' buddy that I cast and load for, (he reloads too, but I have more free time, and take care of our CAS ammo) we're using the Lee 255 gr. RNFP. It works just fine in all of our guns. I'm just melting down range lead, so alloy varies.
    My range, or yours. Standard SASS stages. Like I do every week, I'll use my boolits in my loads. I will beat your times on every stage -- you can use whatever gunz you want. At the end of that competition, out of shame, you will apologize to this board for your stupid remarks. That's right, I'm callin' you out, Sidewinder.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    My range, or yours. Standard SASS stages. Like I do every week, I'll use my boolits in my loads. I will beat your times on every stage -- you can use whatever gunz you want. At the end of that competition, out of shame, you will apologize to this board for your stupid remarks. That's right, I'm callin' you out, Sidewinder.
    That would carry a helluva lot more weight if I knew where your range was. In any event, as I'm still recovering from having my spine fused, it's a non issue.

You have neither the right nor the ability to make me apologise for anything, "Sidewinder". You sound like Louis L'Amour just threw up. Go back to practicing quick draw in your undies in front of the mirror.

Moderator Emeritus

Lets not get carried away with this guys.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Buddy
    The 200 grain RFN with 6 grains of RedDot was a good suggestion. It's just the load I developed for my son's .45 Colt Rossi '92 clone and Colts. It provides very good 75 accuracy, above and beyond what you'll normally see in the majority of SASS matches. I have three other boolits I use in my .45 Colts, Henry and 1873... they are a 160 BigLube™ FN, a LBT 185WFN and a 225gr TC. Best accuracy for CAS type loads for the 1873 have been with the 225gr truncated cone out an RCBS 45-CAV-225 two cavity mold. It's crimp goove is idealy placed for overall length for operation thru either the 1873 or a Rossi '92 clone. Feeds reliably in either rifle.

spurrit, I don't know where you shoot, but I'm glad I don't. I know lots of folks in SASS, some of the finest I've met... whether they load their own, buy their ammo or even have more money than any three folks here. Even some that like to show off their toys. I can however, think of VERY few of them that would go on a public forum and make a statement about your sacred cow such as you just did. Some of them, regardless of whether they are poor, rich, cast, load or buy their ammo are VERY good shooters, some are very knowledgeable about guns, loads... and yep, costumin'. Others are just folks learning about shooting, and happened to run into a game that is competitor friendly, family oriented, and just plain down to earth fun.

Some have maybe even tried other shooting games; and likely found opinionated, cliquish, rude folks in them. I won't say that CAS doesn't have it's share of rude, opinionated and yes, even cliquish folks. But, I will say they are far fewer and much, much farther between. If I had to... I'd guess they're concentrated in your neck of the woods... they tend to like each other and seek out like company.

My apologies to the rest of the board.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Spurrit, You are so wrong!!! I will not lower myself to name calling like you did. I will only hope that you are on pain medication and talking out your butt at this time. This web site is not like any other and we hold ourselves to higher standards than the kiddie boards that you must be a member of. One bad thing about the cyber world is that it allows people to have a false name to hide behind and develop a "had too much to drink attitude" I only hope you have a guardian angel on your shoulder because if you act like this daily,you will have someone correct your standing up position. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Spurrit, You are so wrong!!! I will not lower myself to name calling like you did. I will only hope that you are on pain medication and talking out your butt at this time. This web site is not like any other and we hold ourselves to higher standards than the kiddie boards that you must be a member of. One bad thing about the cyber world is that it allows people to have a false name to hide behind and develop a "had too much to drink attitude" I only hope you have a guardian angel on your shoulder because if you act like this daily,you will have someone correct your standing up position. Later David
    David, (and others)

I'm not "hiding" behind anything. Pretty much everywhere I've been, no matter what the sport, there are shooters and guys that just want to look the part. It's the same with rodeo, showing horses, or whatever.

Economic standing has nothing to do with it. I cast my own bullets, work on my own guns, make my own gear, and shoe my own horses. At pretty much any shoot, we're pretty much always assaulted by a train of blowhards that insist on telling you all about how much they spent on this item and that item, and which big name did the work. More often than not, the speaker simply can't shoot!

All that said, the only shooting sports I've ever really enjoyed without having to hear this crap are IDPA and mounted shooting. In both, the conversations generally revolve around how to do something for yourself, showing off gunsmithing or gear that the shooter did for themself, or getting together to exchange ideas.
    A couple of my best friends are guys that keep trading a really old Mod. 10 back and forth, but won't sell it to anyone else, because they keep winning with it! But you know what? When I expressed interest in getting back into IDPA as soon as I got a gun appropriate for the sport, guess what happened? They handed me that gun and ammo, geared me up, then sent the whole outfit home with me to practice with! They don't know where I live, and didn't even have my phone number. That, to me, is what the shooting sports are all about. Generally, when I go to a public range, I spend about half my time and ammo on letting other people try out my guns and gear, then trying to get them involved in some of the local events, recommending trainers, and inviting them to a gun club meeting.

If this stuff makes me a "snob", maybe you need a dictionary.

Boolit Buddy
    One of us needs to get out more. I've shot from OR to FL and from CA to IN and all over TX... I've seen "some" of what you say... but that's gonna be the way it is no matter what leisure activity you choose.

Your mounted shooting is certainly different than mine. And it's run the gamot, from the really fine, selfless folks that help to those that show up and tell ya how to run things. I certainly wouldn't quit or even say that the entire "sport" is infested, even if the latter type were predominate. Seldom do other folks dictate my level of enjoyment in anything.

But, then... I like putting folks in handcuffs and hauling them outta polite society.

And just so you might think I'm blowin' smoke... my SASS and CMSA #s are 93. I've been at both for quite a while. Have slowed down mounted shooting the last couple of years as I'm mountless. (Have 3, but 2 are in the 25+ class, have earned their retirement, and the other just doesn't get ridden enough to compete off).
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Griff,

When I went to the first mounted shoot here in Wichita, I was pleasantly surprised (shocked, actually) to not find ANY of the people you usually see at horsey events, who drive up in a $50,000 truck, living quarters trailer, and everything Sargent's and Luskey's sells. These folks knew each others' kids names, welcomed newcomers sincerely, and, I imagine, would never look down on someone for wanting to share expenses. These were just regular country folks like I grew up with, who share a common interest.

I think this group acts this way partly because you really have to work at it to even compete. You have to show up knowing how to shoot and ride well enough to combine the two skills.
    Most of the SASS people I complain about wouldn't be bothered that much with developing a skill. They just shoot really fast, then go bloviate about how their sights are "off", then go back to bragging about how much they're gonna spend, and how long they're gonna have to wait, just to get "the" gunsmith to adjust their sights.

If you're looking for a new mount, I might be able to get you a good deal on a coupla nice horses whose owners can't afford the boarding bill. Neither one has been shot off of, but I have much more fun training my horses than showing them off for people.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by spurrit View Post
    Griff,
    When I went to the first mounted shoot here in Wichita, I was pleasantly surprised (shocked, actually) to not find ANY of the people you usually see at horsey events, who drive up in a $50,000 truck, living quarters trailer, and everything Sargent's and Luskey's sells. These folks knew each others' kids names, welcomed newcomers sincerely, and, I imagine, would never look down on someone for wanting to share expenses. These were just regular country folks like I grew up with, who share a common interest.
    I think this group acts this way partly because you really have to work at it to even compete. You have to show up knowing how to shoot and ride well enough to combine the two skills.
    Most of the SASS people I complain about wouldn't be bothered that much with developing a skill. They just shoot really fast, then go bloviate about how their sights are "off", then go back to bragging about how much they're gonna spend, and how long they're gonna have to wait, just to get "the" gunsmith to adjust their sights.
    If you're looking for a new mount, I might be able to get you a good deal on a coupla nice horses whose owners can't afford the boarding bill. Neither one has been shot off of, but I have much more fun training my horses than showing them off for people.
    Very reminisent of my first experiences with mounted shooting also. Heck when I started, we even played with live ammo... poo on those mamby-pamby wannabes in AZ! But, we learned pretty quick that it was in our self-interest to use blanks also! Everyone was self taught... as there just WEREN'T any pros in the sport, at least in my part of TX... and the big egos were all in AZ (believe me, I used to shoot with some of 'em). Things have changed a little in the interim... especially some of the folks that feel an event has to have a money pot... and the bigger the better. And that was the reason you didn't see the big rigs and high dollar stuff... but do now.

Thanks for the offer of hoss or two... sad to say that one's simply not in the budget for this year. Drivin a truck over the road for 320 days a year limits both my saddle and trigger time dramatically. But... I do what I can, when I can and enjoy it immensely, regardless of poor performances caused by a certain lack of a sinful activity called "practice"!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Yeah, I s'pose you'd get some unwanted "attention", sittin' on a sawhorse next to your rig at a truckstop doin dry fire practice!