RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Unintentional bump firing M1A off the bench

Boolit Master

Unintentional bump firing M1A off the bench

Guys, I just cant make it stop. Shooting prone or off a bench, I am double tapping with every pull of the trigger. This would be acceptable, except the second round is wild and I cant tell what is my group and what is not. I am currently single loading the weapon, but that is getting on my nerves. The weapon has done this ever since it was new and it is clean and I have checked all the adjustments.
    Any help?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

Pull it into your shoulder and the doubles should stop.

Boolit Master
    This is the synthetic stocked model with that mooshy recoil pad on it. I have tried pulling it in tight, and even using a sling to stop it. We are a "no-go" at this station.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Rethink your trigger hand grip on the gun.

Would a trigger overtravel stop help?
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Grand Master

The mechanism of bump firing is very cut and dried. The rifle is moving forward against your trigger finger. Disrupt that mechanism. If the recoil pad is the problem, change it.

Boolit Buddy
    Does the trigger pass a bench function test? With an unloaded rifle, dry fire, hold the trigger to the rear, rack the bolt, release the trigger (you should hear it transfer to the sear from the disconnector), pull trigger and hammer should fall.

Are you the only shooter who has a problem with the gun, or does it malfunction regardless of shooter?

How about next time you live fire, pulling the trigger firmly and focus on holding back during recoil? That will help prevent letting your finger flutter and pulling it a second time under recoil, however it may not help your groups.

I've seen bump firing and some trigger styles are more sensitive to it, and some shooters techniques are more prone to allow it. You need to rule out a mechanical problem since you say the gun has always done it. Then work on your shooting style.

Banned

You need a heavier trigger and improve your hold on the rifle. A light trigger and slowly squeezing the trigger will double most firearms. Try a more deliberate "pull" of the trigger.

More trigger engagement? More pull tension?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

The Garand/M14 design has the hammer caught by the disconnector, and then as you
    release the trigger, it 'hands off' the hammer to the sear. If the parts are a bit out of
    spec, it will fire again on this 'hand off'. I have repaired this particular issue with just a
    bit of filing on the correct location to change the timing of the hand off - this is the intended
    method of adjusting this.

So - is it bumping or during the release of the trigger, as you start to slack off of the
    trigger? This 'two shot' deal is very likely a hand-off failure. Test it by holding hard back
    on the trigger very conciously when you fire, you should not get the second shot until
    you release the pull a bit.

If it is the hand off failing, I can fix it pretty easily, or if you are handy, I can help walk
    you through it. If you want, send me the trigger group and I'll fix it.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 10-30-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.