RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Removing lead from barrel - how to

Boolit Buddy

Outers Foul Out II. You can't buy them any more but there are links to plans to build one in this thread somewhere. I've had mine for around 20 years. There are also links to purchase the chemicals to make the solution. The price is higher now but still can't be beat. I shot competition for years and cleaning lead out of the compensator on my 357 mag was impossible. The outers was the bomb! Also have issues with 9mm leading. I just let the Foul Out do the work. Every few thousand rounds in my 45's I run the Foul Out on them. Takes care of any lead buildup that may be lurking in the corners of the rifling that just doesn't come out easily with brushing.

Boolit Master

Smile

So, maybe a thread hijack, but, I shot my first powder-coated bullets the other day and got leading in the last inch of the barrel. Things I have done since:

1. Given the bullets another coat of powder-coating,

2. Bought an oven thermometer, ( surprisingly the oven temp is right on the money at .400 degrees.)

3. Bought a .357 sizer,

4. Tried to get the leading out with a bronze brush and copper strands from O'ceder scrub pads, no luck!

The pistol in question is a BHP copy (Arcus 98 DAC) which I love. It has a chrome-lined barrel, from which I have shot many boolits sized .356 (45/45/10 lubed) with no leading.

My questions are as follows:

a.) Can I use the hydrogen peroxide/white vinegar solution without damage to the chrome barrel?

b.) I have looked for Ballistol and Kroil at local stores without success (tried Break-Free and Hoppe's #9 without success)

c.) I have always used Lee dies, but am considering buying a set of Redding dies in the hope that the seating die would be more forgiving in not sizing down the boolit when seating it.

My question there is, the Redding A series die set seems awfully cheap on sale. Is the Redding sizing die carbide or steel?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Exile, I have used Ed's Red for decades now. Read the enclose literature with Redding dies to determine if they're carbide or not. Have you tried a Lewis lead remover? I'm not aware of any seating dies that are suppose to size bullets when seating them?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Banned
    I got a 22 from my brother that sat in his garage to shoot ground squirrels with bird shot...for over 25 years. It almost looked like a smooth bore when he gave it to me. Both of us thought there was no rifling left in it. I tried brushes first ...worked my way to the STEEL copper washed pot washers (not stainless steel but the ones that look like copper but are steel.) I must have run them down 20 or 30 times (few strands on the loop end of patch holder) Now you would think that the bore is new when you look at it. It is an old Remington 514. Since I thought the bore was gone anyway I went and did this. Now I would not be afraid to do it in any gun.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, exile.
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Perma-Banned
    6 rounds of jacketed bullets will remove lead. Barnes are best as the grooves scrape out the lead. 80% of max loads work best.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345