Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hogue or Pachmayr Grips for Super Blackhawk Hunter

Boolit Mold
    If your looking for a real keeper set of grips for that hand cannon contact herrett-stocks.com and follow their directions to the T. there custom work is awesome and not expensive at all. shooting a 44 mag. is like any other handgun just be safe and have fun!!!

I had Pachmayer Presentation grips on a Blackhawk, and I loved shooting with them. However, getting then to fit was a hassle, requiring some work with a razor blade. My current Blackhawk is the Anniversary model with the small grip frame. I can't find rubber grips for it yet. I had their Gripper grips on a Security Six for years, and they were great too. I currently have Hogue rubber grips on a SP100 and a Redhawk. The SP100 fits my hand well, but the Redhawk set is just too big for my hands. In general, Hogues cost less and fit better out of the box, but the rubber is quite soft. This is good from a recoil standpoint, but they sort of squirm around in my hands upon firing. On the other hand, Pachmayers cost more and may need some fitting. However, the rubber is harder (some models seem to have a rigid insert in the rubber) and the gun stays put in my hand when I fire it. Also, the grips are a little smaller, and seem to fit me better. The Hogues on my Redhawk cover the backstrap by the way, which may be why they seem so big. I will be replacing them with Pachys soon, but I haven't decided whether I should get the Presentation or the Gripper model.
    Does anyone here have experience with Pachmayers on a Redhawk ? Share what you know please. I am especially interested in finding out about the size differences between the two models.

Boolit Buddy

STP Clarification Please

Just wanted some clarification on the STP. I would assume that is the oil treatment?

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

Boolit Master

Grippers work for me fine...

Quote Originally Posted by watkibe View Post
    The Hogues on my Redhawk cover the backstrap by the way, which may be why they seem so big. I will be replacing them with Pachys soon, but I haven't decided whether I should get the Presentation or the Gripper model.
    Does anyone here have experience with Pachmayers on a Redhawk ? Share what you know please. I am especially interested in finding out about the size differences between the two models.
    I don't like Hogues, as they don't cover the backstraps on my Redhawks.
    The gripper grips do, and this seems to soak up the recoil better.
    I've seen the Presentation grips, but have always used the grippers. I'm perfectly satisfied with them.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Greetings BigScot and Tom Herman:

I've been away for a while so I thought I'd stop in and check to see if there was any progress on a Group Buy item I got in on.
    While I was here I also thought I'd check out this Post I started about getting some Pachmayr grips for my Ruger SBH Hunter.
    To be honest; after talking to one of the Tech-Support guys at Pachmayr. I just quit looking for aftermarket grip altogether for now.
    I've started shooting with a shooting glove while I wait for Pachmayr to come out with some dedicated "Decelerator" grips for my revolver.
    When I say "Shooting Glove," What I really mean is the "Poor Man's" shooting glove.
    The real shooting gloves can cost more than a set of custom grips.
    Since I'm chronically cheap that way, I did the next best thing; While I was at a nearby Fry's food store, I stumbled onto a pair of synthetic-elastic-cloth gloves with a rubber coating on the underside of the fingers and palm areas.
    I took them home and cut off the fingers on the right hand glove. I took the left glove and I cut off the rubber coated part of the palm section. Then I glued that palm section to the inside palm area of the right hand glove. Used contact cement.
    Now I have a shooting glove with approximately an eight inch of padding in the palm area. It doesn't slide around on the factory grips of my SBH Hunter; and it only cost $3.99. El Cheapo stirkes again.
    The manufactured shooting gloves that come with anykind of padding can be priced outrageously. The last set I looked at were a pair of Browning shooting gloves. They wanted $56.00 for them. They had no padding. They were just leather gloves with the Browning logo on them and velcro wrist straps.
    I believe I'll stick with my $3.99 Fry's shooting gloves.

By the way; you've already figured this out but, that "STP" reference was about motor oil. And it really does work.
    Also; although I've never personally used them myself, (speaking strictly from an asthetic point of view) I really don't favor the look of the Hogue grips on my revolver but, I'm pretty sure if I shot enough full power loads out of my 44, and I had my choice of Hogue grips or factory grips, I'd probably opt for the Hogue grips.

Well that's it for now. Good shooting guys.

HollowPoint

Boolit Buddy
    Hollow Point,

Years ago when I joined a range and started shooting my RSH more, I looked at getting some shooting gloves. The guy at the (large sporting goods) store told me to put the Past glove (@ $18+) back and get a pair of weigh lifting gloves @ ~$8. Best advice I was given in an long time and haven't looked back. They work great.

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

Boolit Master
    Greetings BigScot;

I had to drop by one of my local HomeDepot stores this past saturday to pick up a new handle for my push broom. There happened to be a SportsAuthority sporting goods store next door so I went over to check out their weight lifting gloves.
    $10.00 bucks for a perfect fitting pair of weight lifting gloves; with excellent padding in the palm areas to absorb recoil. As apposed to $50-something bucks for cheaply made pair of "Shooting Gloves" with no padding and with the Browning logo on them.
    Got to hand it to those Marketing Guys at these outdoor products manufacturing companies. They sure know how to chisle every dime they can out of a fella.
    Thanks alot for the tip. I think it's going to work out real well for me. Who knows, I may end up not even buying a set of Pachmay's.

HollowPoint

Boolit Grand Master

Actually, the Browning Shooting Gloves are for shotgun shooters. They don't need padding = different gloves for a different purpose. Banana's don't make good lemonade... but banana's are wonderful in a "banana split"

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Redhawk grips

I had Pachmayer Presentation grips on a Blackhawk, and I loved shooting with them. However, getting then to fit was a hassle, requiring some work with a razor blade. My current Blackhawk is the Anniversary model with the small grip frame. I can't find rubber grips for it yet. I had their Gripper grips on a Security Six for years, and they were great too. I currently have Hogue rubber grips on a SP100 and a Redhawk. The SP100 fits my hand well, but the Redhawk set is just too big for my hands. In general, Hogues cost less and fit better out of the box, but the rubber is quite soft. This is good from a recoil standpoint, but they sort of squirm around in my hands upon firing. On the other hand, Pachmayers cost more and may need some fitting. However, the rubber is harder (some models seem to have a rigid insert in the rubber) and the gun stays put in my hand when I fire it. Also, the grips are a little smaller, and seem to fit me better. The Hogues on my Redhawk cover the backstrap by the way, which may be why they seem so big. I will be replacing them with Pachys soon, but I haven't decided whether I should get the Presentation or the Gripper model.

I tried Hogue, pachmayers and finally settled on Uncle Mike's---they just seemed to fit me better! They are all realatively CHEAP so try them all to see what's best for you! Or hunt down someone that has a set on a REDHAWK and mabe he'll let you shoot it.

Winelover

I have a pair of Pachmayer signature grips on my 5.5in. Redhawk .44 after 40 or 50 rounds of full house the web between thumb and trigger finger is bleeding all over the place. odis

Boolit Master

Lemonade and Banna Splits???

Greetings All:

How did we go from overyly priced Shooting Gloves to Lemonade and Banna Splits?

WineLover: One of the other guys on this forum was nice enough to offer me a set of Uncle Mikes grips for the price of postage. Pretty darn magnanamous of him if you ask me.
    Being new Single action revolvers, I wanted to check out other alternatives before I asked him to go through the trouble of sending them out. I guess I took to long to decide. Haven't heard from him since.
    Anyhow, I took a look at those Uncle Mikes grips via the internet. They look almost exactly like the Pachmayr Presentation Grips I initially purchased for my new Ruger SBH Hunter. I saw them on a BFR revolver but, when I went to the Uncle Mikes website, I found that these grips weren't listed anymore.

Mr. Odis; sorry to hear about your blood loss. I can see how an extended session with full power loads could do that to a guy. I have yet to shoot that many full power loads in succession.
    Here's a couple of tips I just thought up that might help the next time you head out for one of those prolonged full power shooting sessions.

(1) Buy yourself a bunch of bannanas. Peel a couple of them. Before dropping the hammer on any rounds, lay one of those bannana skins between the palm of your hand and the butt of the grip; being sure to position that bannana skin so that it cover the web of you hand. This should mitigate the chances of further blood loss.

(2) If you experience any soreness when you done, I suggest that you stop on your way home from that shooting session and buy yourself some ice cold lemonade. Not just for consumption. Massage a little of it into the sore spot of your shooting hand.

If all else fails, go out and buy yourself a pair of Overpriced-Cheaply-Made Shooting Gloves.

After Pondering this last alternative, I've come to the conclusion that this might actually work to stop the punishing effects of prolonged full power shooting sessions. You see; If you pay the 50, 60, 70 or 80 bucks for the Shooting Gloves, that leaves you with that much less money to buy primers, powder, gas to get you out to the range, etc..
    No shooting equals no negative physical effect from the recoil. Problem solved.

See you guys at the range.
    HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Hollow Point,
    I'm here and still have those UM grips, haven't been posting much, been busy as ever at work. I can still send them too you if you would like. I'll send you a PM.
    x2 on the weight lifting gloves, I not only use them for iron, but for shooting for years. Years of power lifting have left my nerves in my palms very touchy, so I've always got them around.

Boolit Mold
    I recently was given a 44 mag Super Blackhawk from my mother in law. My father in law (recently passed) was a gun nut and had guns he had collected for years.

The one I have is Stainless Steel with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. It just says "New Model Super Blackhawk" on the side with no model number. It has the squared off at the back trigger guard.

After reading here, I'm a bit confused now on just which one I have. Went to the link to Ruger posted here and there is no more "New Model Super Blackhawk" like the one I have. The "Standard" doesn't look like mine at all, the "Hunter" and "Bisley Hunter" kind of do but still not quite. All three have round trigger guards.

I thought there was only one "New Model Super Blackhawk" but now I see that's not the case.

Anyway, mine has white pearl grips (my father in law must have put those on) which I'm not too crazy about. Too slick feeling and I don't really like the looks of them. A small chip at the bottom front corner of one side also broke off the first time I shot the gun.

About the gun. Shot about 50 rounds with it today and I really like the overall feel of the gun. Has a respectful kick that lets you know you are shooting a 44 magnum, but it's not unmanageable (I rather liked it to tell the truth). I'm not a big guy (about a buck 70 and have small wrists) but I can still shoot it with one hand (though I still prefer two). Lucky for me it's a single action cause I don't know how many shots I could shoot with it in quick succession.

Now to get rid of the pearl grips and get something I can grip better. These Packmayr grips look promising.

Was trying to decide of either the "Gripper Grips" or the "Gripper Decelerator" grips.

I went ahead and just ordered a set (Gripper Decelerator 05134) from the Packmayr website. Looking forward to getting these to see the difference from the pearl grips.
    Last edited by Mike89; 12-28-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

First of all, you have ordered the correct grips for your gun (actually, as you state, there are TWO correct grips).

The picture is a substitute gun and the grips will differ a bit from what you are looking at (the picture is of a double action gun - I guess Pachmayr can't afford a picture of the correct gun?)

I, personally, LIKE the softer decelerator grips. I have them on several double action revolvers.

My Super Black Hawk is an original one and has the Pachmayr grips available at the time. They sure take the "sting" out of operating the Super BlackHawk vs the original wood grips.

Good shooting!
    Dale53

Boolit Mold
    What do you think of this "44 special" ammo I've been reading about? I assume it's a lighter load like for target shooting and that the Super Blackhawk will shoot those?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12