Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: CB Published load data for a 165gr LSWCGC?

CB Published load data for a 165gr LSWCGC?

Other than the well known cast bullets like in the Lyman 49th for 357 mag. Is there any published load data for the Lee 158gr LSWC GC that weighs in at 165gr? I stopped working up this 165gr gas checked @ 15gr of H110 and a cci550 and I have no data to tell me if I'm maxed out or not. The primers are hardly flattened and the cases release from the cylinder very easy. If I go by the L49th 170 gr LSWC data I'm over by .50 gr. I made the bullet from 50/50 WW/Soft lead and a typical Hornady GC.
    Oh, and Hi Folk's, first post new guy, nice to meet you all. $4

Your unlikely to find exact data for your boolit weight. The best you can do is review as many sources as possible and interpolate. Using data for a 170 grain boolit is a good place to start. The down side is that If I remember my Lyman manual correctly, it's for a plain based boolit. A gas checked boolit of equal weight will show a bit more pressure than a PB one. Another condundrum (sp) is alot of Lyman data is based on linotype alloy. As it's a bit harder than your 50/50 mix, it will show a tad more pressure. Not alot of help huh?

You didn't mention what brand of gun you are using here. Going a little over book in a S&W 686 or Ruger BH doesn't bother me too much. Doing the same in a S&W model 19 is another thing. I have more than a few H110/296 loads for my Ruger's (41, 44, 480) and S&W 686 that are over by more than a half grain. I look for the same pressure signs as you. Primer condition and extraction ease. preferrably during warm weather. H110 and WW 296 (same thing) are fairly straight forward to work up. In most every case (for me), they show best accuracy right at top end. Starting loads will show open groups that are not round. As you increase the load, they will tighten up. When you go over board, they usually open again. If your working up with a chronograph you can see what's going on pretty well. Extreme spread in velocity will be quite large at the start. With each increase in charge weight you'll see an increase in velocity and a reduction in ES. It goes pretty incremental with each half grain increase. When you just get into the max load area the ES will be in single digits to the teens. Above max your likely to see no increase in velocity and the ES start to open again. This pretty much coincides with the grouping.

Thanks BABore, I'm using a GP100ss 6" and an 1894c. Between the two guns I find that 14.5gr to 15gr of H110 the most accurate. I guess that would be the best place to stop. I don't hunt anything but bowling pins anyway. That bullet has thrown me through a few loops with 2400 powder and I could not get a grip on the best load for a while. I was just hoping for a short cut on the H110. Thanks again, $4

anachronism
    Use the data for the 168 gr Keith bullet. RCBS also offered a 168 gas checked bullet, so that data should be in the RCBS Cast Bullet Handbook.