Last week I loaded some ultralight loads for my 1894c Marlin .357. Today I did a bit of experimenting with my 30/30 xlr. I had developed an accurate hunting load with the 180 gr. RCBS gascheck mold and ww760 powder. I thought I'd like to have an ultralight load for it as well. Resized and primed a number of cases, used a case mouth bell die from a .30 carbine die set to open up the mouths a bit. I had a box of .32 cal, .314diameter Hornady hollow base wadcutters on the shelf that I used once for some light loads in .7.62x39. These are soft, pure lead wadcutters lubed with what looks to be Motor Mica. My Rcbs little dandy pistol measure already had a #4 rotor in it. I checked it and it was throwing 2.3 gr. Red Dot. Charged a half dozen and seated the bullet about 1/16 out of the case. Worse thing could happen I thought was stick a bullet in the bore. I set a Lee factory crimp die up to just close the necks enough to prevent the cartridges from dragging on the necks when being chambered, already had plenty of neck tension from the oversize bullets.
They fed fine in the Marlin, so out the back door to the shooting bench. First three shots went into 3/4 of an inch at 25 yards! Plenty good enough for small game. I wnt back and loaded another 50, went back out and fired several more 3 shot groups at 25 yards. groups were between 1/2 and 3/4 inch. And they were dead on at 25 yards.
Often times while hunting here in Texas for deer or hogs the opportunity to take a couple of fox squirrels, or a plump blacktail swamp rabbit presents itself, and it's nice to be able to take these small game without alarming everything in the woods. I don't know how fast these are going, but they penetrated 3/4 inch plywood at 25 yd. and kept on going.
My xlr has had the barrel shortened to 20 inches, these loads sounded about like a loud air rifle