Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zamak

Vendor Sponsor

Maybe that's a different compound the mazac I know of is used on Fender guitars as a tailpiece, I couldn't conceive a chunk of that being swaged into rifling without major pressures building.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    At one time Lyman sold a special mould that cast a bullet that used a zinc “washer” as a base band that served as a “wiper” to remove fouling from the bore as they were being fired. IIRC, they proved unpopular not because of damage to bores but because of cost and effort to make them.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Long ago some company (C-H ?) made swaging dies that would use a zinc washer to protect the lead base, like a gas check or half-jacket. Mostly handguns and the 30 carbine, best recollection from very long ago (50 years plus).

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    I believe Zamak is Zinc, magnesium, aluminum, and maybe some other alloys. One original use was for making those matchbox cars.

Joe
    The other metal is usually copper . Zinc , aluminum , magnesium and copper .
    Is this what is commonly referred to "Pot Metal " ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Maybe that's a different compound the mazac I know of is used on Fender guitars as a tailpiece, I couldn't conceive a chunk of that being swaged into rifling without major pressures building.
    Oh,you mean those tremolo blocks where the springs are attached?

Live and learn. I always wondered what that (horrible) material is. All I know is,if you change them to heavier brass or steel blocks the instrument "comes alive". I started changing mine in the early 70's.

Boolit Master
    Before you waste anytime on zinc or zamak read about zinc pest or zinc rot.

When the basic alloy is contaminated the slightest amount you get intergranular corrosion.
    The corrosion products form inside the object causing it to swell and disintegrate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2771_zpsc77pgwk8.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	244623

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...psc77pgwk8.jpg

I ran into this about age 5. My mother went to a variety store for something and bought me 2 die cast toy cars about 4" long and 2" wide. She handed me the first car and my grip crushed it like foil. The strongest part of the car was the red paint that held the broken pieces together.

She then handed me the much stronger blue car. I rolled it across the hardwood floor and it hit the wall at an angle breaking into pieces - that resulted in a lot of laughter.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Before you waste anytime on zinc or zamak read about zinc pest or zinc rot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_pest

When the basic alloy is contaminated the slightest amount you get intergranular corrosion.
    The corrosion products form inside the object causing it to swell and disintegrate.

I ran into this about age 5. My mother went to a variety store for something and bought me 2 die cast toy cars about 4" long and 2" wide. She handed me the first car and my grip crushed it like foil. The strongest part of the car was the red paint that held the broken pieces together.

She then handed me the much stronger blue car. I rolled it across the hardwood floor and it hit the wall at an angle breaking into pieces - that resulted in a lot of laughter.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Home metal casting of parts (auto, motorcycle, gun, machine etc.) and ornamentals is a somewhat popular hobby. ZAMAK and other zinc alloys are a good starting point because they melt at low temperature and are similar in strength to iron. Bronze alloys and iron are also popular, but require much higher heat and better equipment.

I've experimented a bit with zinc casting. It makes good bearings and all kinds of gun parts, including receivers. I actually cast a revolver frame of it, to accept an existing cylinder.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I seriously doubt you'd be able to fire any boolits cast from it without risking permanent damage to the barrel with very very few shots fired, maybe only one.
    +1
    This is just what I was thinking. With the hardness of Zamak I would be very concerned with barrel damage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12