Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise with the 358 Win. today.

Boolit Grand Master

Surprise with the 358 Win. today.

Today I went to the range with my 358 Winchester , 98' Mauser , FN Herstal, with Mod. 70, factory Pre-64 Win barrel.

It has always been a real shooter !

I shot several nice groups with cast loads today. One load , 38 grs. of IMR 7383 with the Lyman 358318 HP was very impressive.

I ( just for the heck of it ) had loaded some plain based, SAECO , # 353 pistol bullets with 10.5 grains of Russian Unique with a CCI 34 primer.

I was shooting at 50 yards, I fired a 5 shot group with this load and could barely believe my eyes, fired another 5 shot group and still another. Group after group like this.
    People tell you that a plain based bullet won't shoot well out of a rifle.....

Here is my rifle that I was shooting today :

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Pretty convincing arguement for cast boolits that new folks to shooting cast in rifles need to see!
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice shooting and a nice looking rifle too.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Nice shooting and a nice looking rifle too.
    +1 Nice indeed.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

In Remebrance

Nice when a boolit really fits the gun and you find a good load for it! Now if you could just bottle that prescription and sell it...

Boolit Master

Ben Nice looking boolits, and apparently they shoot real well. Nice looking 98 too. Don't you just love mausers? I know I do and 03 Spfld's too. One thing - how did the smith get a M70 barrel to fit a 98 action? You know, with the metric threaded receiver and standard threaded barrel shank.?

Boolit Grand Master
    captaint :

1st we picked the barrel, then we picked the action to fit the barrel. Usually it is the other way around. My 98' Mauser action chosen for this project was a 1924 Belgium FN. It is an intermediate length action. The action ring is a Large ring, but the internal threads were small ring. This characteristic of this particular action made it a good candidate for combination with the Mod. 70 Win. barrel.

My gunsmith turned small ring threads on the Mod. 70 barrel, chambered to 358 Winchester , H/spaced to .003. Here it is today, shoots GREAT ! I wouldn't sell this rifle for any price.

Ben

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Outstanding Work!!

As you can tell by the Log In name, the 358 is my favorite cartridge!
    I've been shooting the jacketed rounds for big game for years, but I had this rifle built specifically for cast bullet shooting of small game, varmints, deer and wild pigs. By the way- a Rem 200gr PSP at 2400fps is fabulous on ground squirrels!!
    Varmint shooting with a deer rifle keeps you in good practice, and it's fun, as well.
    Remington 700 short action (originally a 243Win varmint gun!), Shilen trigger (2lbs), PacNor 20" barrel, 16" twist, iron sights, Leupold 2-7, MPI Mannlicher stock in Kevlar-- This one's been to New Zealand where it shot bunnies, possums, Red Stag. What fun- and accurate too!
    You have given me the inspiration to complete the project with light game loads in cast boolits- I've been using pistol bullets to differentiate from the large game rounds, but the cast boolit is easier to identify.
    Again, you've done an excellent job, have a beautiful rifle, and inspired me to do more! Outstanding Work!

Chuck
    Concord, CA

Boolit Grand Master
    Chuck :

Go at it ! !

Post your results and share with all of us.

Thanks for those nice comments ,

Ben

Boolit Master
    Ben, you already know what I think!! Good shooting buddy!
    JDL

Boolit Master
    I have a Remington 660 in 243 I would like to make a 358. You are prodding me along.

Really nice looking boolits. I spend a lot of time shooting paper, so HP is not needed for me.

Thanks

David

I have a pretty new Ruger Hawkeye in .358 that shoots pretty well too.

I was shocked the first time I fired 5 125 grain pistol bullets (IMR 4198) at a 100 yard target and my group was right around 1".

200 grain pointed bullets @ 2600-2700 fps seem to be just the ticket for just about anything on 4 legs.

One of the most underrated cartridges around, I think.

Boolit Grand Master
    The more I shoot my 358 Win., the more I like it.

In some cartridges, it is hard to find an accurate load.

In the 358 Win., it seems to like just about anything that you feed it.

Ben

Nice rifle, and great shootin Ben.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

.358 fan here ,too,I have 2 of them, A 600 remmy, and a 700 remmy. Shilen barrels, 1 in 14 twist. I shoot the 200 gr. Lyman and 245gr.Saeco. J word bullets, the 250 gr. Hornady spire point, and Blc2 powder. So far, 3031 has been the winner with cast, although I haven't tried a big variety of powders, I like my .45/70's, and my 30/30 with cast, but IMHO, the 358 winny is THE cast bullet caliber,with the exception of a few wildcats.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Another .358 Win fan here. They are such a nice chambering. They WANT to shoot well for you! And they do!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for all your comments. Seems I'm one of MANY who can appreciate the virtues of the 358 Winchester.

Ben

Boolit Master
    just saw this --I have 2 .358 18.5' RUGER TANG MODLE AN--caps on-- Weatherbye .358 win

Banned

Ben, I always said a picture is worth a thousand words but not this time---just ONE, FANTASTIC!
    But I see something wrong, your gun is LONELY and I could put it next to others so the good can rub off! Then I could send it to another member and so on. Might take 50 years to get it back to you.
    That makes me want a rifle just for fun.

Boolit Master

.358 Win = .356 Win?

I have a .356 Winchester Model 94 rifle and always wondered what it would do with cast boolits. I have never bought a mold for it since my wife just uses it with J bullets for deer hunting. I reload J bullets for her with the .358 dies. I have been wondering what mold would be good for it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast