Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surprise with the 358 Win. today.

Moderator Emeritus

RCBS 200 fp did well with mine. I gave away the load notes when I sold the rifle.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I load 358 Win. for a friend with a Browning BLR in that caliber. Never found a load it didn't like. Lousy trigger on that rifle.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Don:
    Send me a PM. I am a huge 356 Win fan.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    That rifle's no good==there's a hole in the barrel! That is some sweet shooting, plain base, gas checked or whatever. But that rifle needs to go. To my house.

Boolit Mold

358 win

Been shooting a 358 for 30+ years, its a real killer, 250 Gr at 2400 out of a 19" barrel on a mauser action does the work. I am new to the cast bullet, it is really addictive watching that silver disappear down those holes. do you folks have a particular heavy 358 bullet that you prefer? I am thinking 250gr. plus.

Boolit Grand Master

Well now, I am not supprised at all at what Ben has done. He is sort of a perfectionist, and his postings show the results of him being same. Need another rifle like I need more holes in the head, but he has got me thinking about another 358 (like I never should have sold), or maybe a 35 Rem just to shoot light 35 cal pistol blts. H'aint no reason that plain base pistol blts shouldn't shoot in rifles. It is just a matter of finding what ever is the right combination, casting/sizing/lubing a perfect blt, and Bob's your uncle as they say. Betya Ben would never load a plain base pistol blt with even a slightly dinged base in a rifle ctg. To me a perfect base on a plain base blt is the key to accuracy along with driving them at an acceptable vo. Anyhow------WAY TO GO BEN! Hope to meet him some day.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Well now, I am not supprised at all at what Ben has done. He is sort of a perfectionist, and his postings show the results of him being same. Need another rifle like I need more holes in the head, but he has got me thinking about another 358 (like I never should have sold), or maybe a 35 Rem just to shoot light 35 cal pistol blts. H'aint no reason that plain base pistol blts shouldn't shoot in rifles. It is just a matter of finding what ever is the right combination, casting/sizing/lubing a perfect blt, and Bob's your uncle as they say. Betya Ben would never load a plain base pistol blt with even a slightly dinged base in a rifle ctg. To me a perfect base on a plain base blt is the key to accuracy along with driving them at an acceptable vo. Anyhow------WAY TO GO BEN! Hope to meet him some day.
    1Shirt!
    1Shirt

Your views on shooting plain based bullets perfectly " mirror " mine.

DITTO ! !

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    I load 358 Win. for a friend with a Browning BLR in that caliber. Never found a load it didn't like. Lousy trigger on that rifle.
    The .358 Win is strictly a hand loaders caliber now.
    Not much selection in factory ammo & the stuff you do find on the shelves is priced into the stratosphere.
    Easy to make .358 Win brass out of the very common .308 Win brass.
    The beauty about 35 caliber cartridges is that you can take advantage of the abundant .38 & .357 caliber pistol bullets around to make custom loads for special applications.
    I hear you on the trigger..........my BLR is the same ............heavy, gritty, creepy trigger.
    And even worse is that the trigger is never bad the same way twice in a row........you never know what to expect from shot to shot.
    Only a handful of gunsmiths in the country know how to fix BLR triggers.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Looks a lot like the lyman 358311. Tim

Boolit Master
    I've kicked it around for a while but now I'm sure of it. A .358 Winchester is next on my project list.

Boolit Master
    My .356 Win AE just loves the saeco 245 gr fp gc bullet, a friends .358 likes it as well.

Accurate's #36-350C goes with the .358Win like maple syrup and pancakes!!

Boolit Master

I looked at the picture long and hard. Very nice and tight and for the most part impressive but dude, you totally missed the nickle
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Got lucky this week....after reading your post Ben, I was on the hunt for a fun plinking mould for my .358 Win. Found what appears to be a brand spanking new Ideal 358311 that had been hollow pointed, also got a set of small Lyman handles for it...complete was $80 Cdn...which I didn't consider too bad. Well it arrived yesterday and I'm tickled with it. Can't wait to get casting with it, it just needs to warm up here....at -12 this morning it might be a few weeks....

I am hoping to use this for a light grouse/rabbit round while hunting deer. Anyone have any opinions on the hp? I would prefer it to be a flat point and might file off the hp pin. It isn't removeable as there is no set screw holding it in, and would appear to be epoxied into the wooden knob

Heres a couple of pics
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ideal open.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	186958

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ideal w handles.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	186957

Boolit Master
    358 brass is now made by Starline.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master

I've had very good luck with both the RCBS 35-200 and the Lyman 358315 in my 35 Whelen. Not the same, sure, but both good boolits.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Bub
    Great gun and great shooting!

Boolit Master
    Plain base bullets don't shoot fer poop...

Five shots, two holes:

I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12