Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bee wax

Boolit Master
    i'm working on finding another source, there are a few smaller bee keepers around, but they pretty much lay low until spring comes around.
    Some where between here and there.....

Banner Sponsor

When I sent out around 1000 lbs last summer, I could comfortably fit 10lbs in a flat rate box. With some trimming and stuffing, I could get 12.5lbs in a box.
    No I'm not selling anymore, I'm down to about 500lbs ish.

The local bee keepers here want around $5-6 a lb for the end caps they cut off that are full of (&*(^. The craft store here wants $14 a lb for it.
    There is a place online texasdrone.com that sells for just over $3 a lb last time I looked.

If you do go ahead with the mass beeswax buy, they you can get the flat rate boxes delivered right to your house. Just go on to usps.gov . they have a section to order supplies. The long boxes come with the adhesive flaps on the end. It might not sound like much to just get some packing tape to do the boxes up with, but by the time you go through 8 rolls of tape at $3.50 ea, the little extras start to add up in a hurry.

As far as melting beeswax goes, I've gound that on my gas stove top, with the burner turned down to low, it is just the right temp to melt it and not get hot enough to burn. This way you don't have to use a double boiler.

For cutting. If I leave my slabs in the sun for a couple of hours, then I can take a big french knife and cut 1/5" slices off of it fairly easy.
    When it's frozen in the winter, I can put them in a heavy plastic bag and slam it down on the garage floor. This breaks it up into nice small useable pieces.

take care.
    Glenn.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    On melting beeswax,some people use an old crock pot-not your Missus's good one!

Boolit Buddy
    An old crock pot is how I melt mine. Bought herself a new one and just took the 20 year old pot out to the garage. The hatchet works for cutting them up; my side of the garage is full of wax chips that will one day be gathered and melted down. Quarter pounder loaf pans work for pouring the wax ingots, and Christmas time popcorn tins are great for storage of the ingots. Got one tin filled up and working on the second.

I've contacted a fellow that I know is a beekeeper and sells the wax. His supply is currently exhausted but there will be more. Am leaving it up to him as to whether he posts here as I wouldn't want him overwhelmed with requests - that's his call to make.

The $2.50/lb already mentioned is a pretty good price based upon what I'm seeing out there.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Madcaster, yes, beeswax is the carrier for felix lube. ... felix
    felix

Talking

Check this wax out. Nice clean stuff too.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Beeswax-Blocks-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Fact is most all the bees wax on sale at E Bay is selling for 3.00 plus a pound. Got to be one stupid bee keeper to sell for less than 1.50 a pound as bee keeping supply houses pay that for old dark crappy stuff as well as the clean cappings. Thats why you see the nice stuff on E bay.
    I'll have some wax at the end of July for 3.50 a pound plus shipping of course. You choose the method of shipping.

Al

I am interested in some for sure!
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Banned
    I would love to squirrel away about 50 pounds of it myself if the price was decent and the seller wasn't trying to put the kids through college on the shipping overcharges.,, yes I am cheap, but willing to pay fair price for it cause I have drawn a blank around here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123