Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: NOE HP Mold Problem

NOE HP Mold Problem

So I had a lil flashing around he HP with my last now mold but honestly not anything I really cared too much about. Just took a razor and gave it a quick lil swipe. Well my new one has been much more.... problematic. Sens like these pins are under sized because I I hold the mold up to the light I can see light all the way around the pin. All three pins. The hp, the cup point and the flat point. Does it regardless of how hot I got the mold/alloy which honestly hotter alloy + hot mold = easy flow and fill out so with this ....yeah don't see it as solution, anyone have this happen with a NOE mold .

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy
    That's so you can place the gas check on the front of the bullet. No, seriously, that undersized sounds correct. My MP molds vary in pin diameters so I have to try not to mix them up. Have you tried swapping the pins from your other mold to this one just to test, if you still have it and if they are interchangeable calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by THE_ANTIDOTE View Post
    That's so you can place the gas check on the front of the bullet. No, seriously, that undersized sounds correct. My MP molds vary in pin diameters so I have to try not to mix them up. Have you tried swapping the pins from your other mold to this one just to test, if you still have it and if they are interchangeable calibers?
    No j haven't,dint really consider it honestly, my other mold being a .316 dia. And this is a .266 Im not at the house though for another ten days so idk. Wonder if I could email NOE and possibly just get some wider pins made ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Honestly I was thinking it was something I did with my heat cycling but I don't think so..was also thol it was the pins being too shallow but still you shouldn't be able to see see light around them right ?
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Is there any way to move the pins towards the bullet cavity? Seems like they sit too low in the mould.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Have you tried adjusting the pressure on the alloy? RCBS has a screw that limits how far the lever can be lifted. I have seen pictures of Lee pots with a z shaped piece of metal added to allow a small bolt to be threaded in to allow for adjusting how high the lever can be lifted up and control the amount of lead that comes out. Just a thought.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I can normally see a small amount of light around the pins on all of my RG molds, it's just the nature of machining tolerances and retaining the ability to open and close them freely. You need to adjust your guides so the pin sits at the right height. Using a small adjustable wrench grab onto the guide as shown and pull gently, making small adjustments until it's where you want it. As you can see on this particular mold my guide is nearly flat to the block with just a slight bend at the end to tip the pins out when opened. Yours appear to be curved like a banana setting the pin too deep, each mold will vary.

Last edited by bsev81; 03-31-2024 at 09:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAFzipper View Post
    Is there any way to move the pins towards the bullet cavity? Seems like they sit too low in the mould.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    It does look like the pins should be deeper.

Boolit Grand Master

Wolf dog I see 2 "flashes on the point a ve
    very fine one only on one side and then one that looks to be about .060 all around the hollow point. This indicates to me the pin is to low in the blocks only way to get that heavy ring all around and that even. If the pins were that much undersized the ring would remain that constant. Either the crossholes in the pins or the blocks are off. I would send the pics to Noe and ask for help. Explain what your getting as accurate as possible. Im betting that heavy ring is the same dia as the pins.

Open the blocks slide the pin to one side and look you will see part of the block above the pin This is the heavy ring on the bullet the fine flash is the clearance on the pin

Boolit Grand Master
    Call--no email nor text-- NOE and tell Al the problem your having. It may be the picture, but it appears that the locator bars are excessively bent, drawing the pins up. I'll have to check one of mine tomorrow, but I don't recall them being bent like that
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

The pins look as if they are too short for the mold - Allowing fill out at the nose of the bullet that should not be there. I would not call that just flashing
    Being human is not for sissies.

The base of the pin should be level with the bottom of the mold block. Your pin bases are proud of the base and it appears by as much as the flashing on the boolit. The pin retainers need to be adjusted so they are closer to the mould base. Well that's kind of obvious but just my 2¢. I use Bsev81's method to adjust mine.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I've had that happen once or twice when the screw for the retention plate wasn't tightened down. Could also be a mix-matched pin. I like Al's molds, but I've found his HP design a little lacking compared to Mihec's. So I usually only buy his molds in solids. I have a particular NOE HP mold that came with HP and Solid pins. The solid pins produce solids with the same stepped up nose like that. Granted it was one of his early molds. But still, left a little to be desired...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!