Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice in the brass tumbler

Rice in the brass tumbler

I've had the same corn cob media in my tumbler for about 15 years now. It's long past it's prime as a cleaner / polisher. So wile I was in the kitchen shopping for reloading supplies I stumbled across a 20 lb bag of medium grain Jasmine rice. I'd heard mention of using it to clean brass befor, so I thought I'd give it a try. That stuff did an awesome job at cleaning. It didn't polish it shiny but did it ever clean up in a hurry. The only draw backs that I can see is that it is louder than corn cob, and there was a grain stuck in almost every primer hole. But for the job it did it's worth the extra time to clear all the flash holes.

Just thought I'd share

Nora

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I have to check the primer pockets anyway, so it sounds like you have found an alternative.

I have heard that some people are using crushed walnut hulls they found in the pet section.

Boolit Master
    I've tried a lot of different stuff over the years, and found that the stuff made for the tumblers is the best. Lizard bedding, cat litter, rice, cracked corn, grits, cream of wheat or whatever, it's always come back to what's designed to be used. However, If you want to try rice, go ahead. But be sure that you get it all out of your case before you put your powder in. It's really strange to find a grain of rice on the shooting bench....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

anachronism
    Don't waste food. Lizard litter is cheap & readily available.

Boolit Master

rice will work but it`ll get goooeeyyy with lube & humidity, don`t ask how i know!!
    +1 for lizard litter . the bigger bag you buy the cheaper it is.

GP100man
    Last edited by GP100man; 04-16-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelun

Boolit Master
    I have used rice with a little comet and it is indeed a fast cleaner for very dirty brass.

The down side is it doesn't work well, at least for me, in smaller case's like 223. The stuff packed into a few hundred I tried it in and I spent an evening digging it out with a dental probe!

I'm not a big rice eater so the occasional purchase as a media should only help the growers. If I was selling tons of brass and need to run a large cleaning operation I'd have to reasearch to find the fastest cheapest way to clean a lot of brass and I don't think rice would be it.

The suggestion that media be purchased for the intended use is a good one. I've yet to see anything in a pet store that I was interested in buying. However I have purchased both sizes of walnut shell blasting media from Harbor Freight and have had some mild success with it.

Ned to find a way to imbed some rouge in it though.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I had some whole wheat grains and tossed it in there, it worked OK, but not nearly as good as the other stuff we use in case tumblers.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Go buy some walnut and corn cob media at a farm supply store in 25# bags (and get the smallest pieces they have). I bought both about 3 years ago for $35 or so, and that'll last my many years.

I mix about 2/3 walnut to 1/3 corn cob to get both cleaning and polishing done in one load (the walnut cleans, the corn cob polishes). You can, of course, do a full load of each, but then you'll run your tumbler twice as much (and I've already burned out a machine, and don't really want to buy another anytime soon).

Here's hint to make the media last longer: get a used dryer sheet and rip it into 4 strips, and put that into your media. It'll trap a bunch of dirt and primer residue. Pick it out while wearing gloves, and don't breath while doing so - primer residue isn't exactly healthy, and there's plenty of easily breathed and absorbed dust containing it. Use a covered garbage can. But the strips keep the mixture clean for a lot longer.

Last hint: if you want to really polish stuff up, get a bottle of Nu-Finish liquid wax (about 5 or 6 bucks, lasts for many, many tumbles). Pour about a cap full into the media and tumble it alone for 5 or 10 minutes before putting in your cases. Bright and shiny is the result. You can even use it once every other load if you'd like, it hangs around for a while.
    Last edited by Ancesthntr; 04-17-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Nu-Finish

^^^ that is spot on.

the only thing I do differently is instead of the Nu-Finish car polish I will dribble in several drops of odorless mineral spirits.

In addition to the used dryer sheets, the mineral spirits also cuts down on the dust, which you can inhale.

I haven't tried this myself but I have heard that auto body shop/paint suppliers will have the crushed walnut shells in 50 pound bags for cheap. It is used kinda like sandblasting media to strip paint and/or rust without eating through things as easily as the true sandblasting stuff does.

Beekeeper

media

heavymetal,

I use the crushed walnut lizzard litter sold at the local feed store, they also sell corncob.
    I saw a post elsewhere where the poster was using Bon Ami ( similar to comet but not as harsh) and gave it a try.
    Found it works great, gives a polish similar to brand new cases, and they have not tarnished ( test cases) after setting out for a month. By out I mean on a shelf in the garage not outside.
    I stopped buying the RCBS polish and use the Bon Ami on everything now.

I have never tried the corncob media yet , does anyone have any good feedback on it versas the crushed walnut media?

beekeeper

Rice for tumbling...

In another forum I saw someone recommend the kind of rice you would use for porridge. The grains were more round and less prone to stick in the primer pockets. He also suggested heating the rice to about 300 F for an hour to make the rice grains harder.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

hospital rehab

for those that dont know.....

most rehab sections in hospitals have to change out corncobs they use.

i microwave it for a minute,then store it in the jugs they give me.

its called celstim.

Boolit Master
    All need to be careful when adding any kind of chemical to assist in polishing brass. Best not to use anything with ammonia which will weaken the brass. It won't be something you see after one use but it will weaken the case and shorten it's life.

Harbor Freight sells 20/40 grit walnut shell blasting media in 25# boxes for $25. Its very fine, flows thru flash holes. I use the Frankford Arsenal polish, has orange extract in it.
    Calehedron
    Roll Tide!
    KCH Reloading
    Custom Cast Bullets and Brass Processing
    Owner/Operator
    A small garage based business

Boolit Master

Being from Louisiana originally, I guess I eat a bit more rice than some of the people around here. I usually buy it at the restaurant supply stores and it goes for around $15-17 per 50-lb bag, IIRC. I store it in 2-liter soft-drink bottles that have been washed out and dried very well.

Hmmm... That reminds me... Need to check the deep freeze to see if I have any gumbo put up... The weather has been a bit nippy lately and some gumbo sure would taste good right about now...

I recently got a free electric dryer that someone was giving away. They claimed that it "didn't work". I gave the guy some suggestions on how to fix it given various symptoms, but he just wanted to get rid of it since he had already bought a new one. I didn't need another dryer, so I just disassembled it to see what parts I could salvage from it. From the amount of lint that I found in it, I doubt that it was ever cleaned and the brass bushing on the idler pulley was so worn that the steel axle that went through it was wearing the plastic of the pulley pretty badly. But, after cleaning up the motor and applying power to it, it runs perfectly, so I'm thinking of making some sort of rotating tumbler out of it. I already have a vibratory tumbler, but that thing is just so noisy I don't like to run it. Plus, it will "walk" across whatever you put it on. I made the mistake of putting it on a table ONCE... I then ended up having to do some repairs to fix it after it dropped off the table. I only let it run on the floor now and it can only walk as far as the electric cord will let it go. If it tries to go further, it pulls the plug out of the outlet.

Years ago I had got some ground walnut shells of Lyman that had the mix of polish in it .So I run my brass first in it and then I size and deprime and then I use ground up corn cobs that I had a farmer do for me in his feed mill for me.I do have to pick some of the ground cobs out of bottle neck cases. But that dose not matter to me.It polish up the cases good enough for me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I have tried rice worked ok. I would make sure you separate it as soon as it is done did some 30.06 bass and left it the tumbler over night and the rice swelled up and was heck getting out of the cases.

The used dryer sheets do absorb the gunk, but they slow the speed of the media in the tumbler which extends the time it takes to get the brass clean.

I buy my corncob and walnut from a local media blasting supply company. Usually works out to 40-70 cents a pound, and a 50lb bag will last you a long, long time.

Now that I have a wet tumbler, my vibratory tumblers have been relegated to cleaning off case lube and powder coating duties.

Boolit Grand Master

I also buy ground corncob from blasting supply companies. I've tried about everything you can think of and keep coming back to corncob, if I don't wet tumble. Just FYI, a bushel of rices brings about $5 at the dryer. I've used it with the hull on it and its pretty fast. You can shovel up a trash can full about anywhere that they are loading/unloading trucks during harvest time. I probably hauled 70,000 bushels for a friend this past fall!

Boolit Grand Master

Supply House have corn cob and walnut hulls very reasonable, I think the last 50 lb bag of corn cob I bought was less than $20.00. A 50 lb bag lasts a long time. Corn cob, walnut, rice, Baking soda, sand, glass beads are all used in sand blasting for various finishes and reasons. In the food industry when cleaning equipment to be repaired rice is often used to blast. Corn cobs give a good polish and arnt as abrasive on softer materials. Walnut is used for heavier build ups on soft materials and the polish isn't as nice. Baking soda is used for fiberglass and plastics.
    I have tried rice in the vibratory and it works well cleaning the plugged flash holes and on smaller cases the plugged cases wernt worth it. We used fine ground walnut at work to deburr small parts and stampings in bigger tumblers and vibratories. These units held 50-75lbs of corncobs. These some times had a small amount of oil and polish added to them to improve finish. Experiment with them some. I add a small amount of Iosso brass polish to con cobs every second or third run. A shreaded paper towel or 2 ran for 1/2 hour 45 mins will remove a lot of crud and or dust from the media also. I have seen automotive rubbing compound added to corn cobs also. Nufinish also works well. I run for 20-30 mins when adding the polishes before adding brass to get it distributed thru the media.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast