Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Handi rifle

Beekeeper

Handi rifle

I am in the process of buying a handi in .223 with an additional barrel in 30-06
    On the H&R web siye they say you must have the barrels fitted to the receiver.
    On another web site they talk about fitting them yourself.
    I don't want a massive screw up so which is it or are both acceptable

beekeeper

The guys on the other site have a real good idea of what is required to fit the barrels, and some have older rifles that H&R/Remington won't touch, so they have no choice but to fit it themselves. I've fixed the lug engagement on a couple that the new guys at the Remington plant in NY screwed up when they rebarreled my rifle.

It's really not brain surgery, but if you're not into hand tools, reading, or making things in general, then it might not be for you. Do you work on your own cars? If yes, you might not have a problem.

A few months ago I would have told anyone (and often did) not to send in anything to them - they were really having some problems. But, like alot of businesses, they seem to be getting a hand on what they need to do.

If the extra 30-06 barrel (or the .223, for that matter) were fitted at the factory, it should have the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial number etched on the barrel lug. All of mine are etched on the left side of the barrel.

If it doesn't have the correct numbers on the barrel, closely inspect the barrel(s) for looseness when on the frame, gaps between the top/bottom/left/right side of the rear barrel face to the breech face. Hold it up to a bright light & look between them.

Also, I like to take a black marker and black out the locking lug face of the barrel, put it together & cycle the barrel/receiver open & closed several times. Then take it apart and look at the lug engagement (black that is worn off). If it is worn off on just one side, I've had one rifle barrel that would shoot patterns not groups until it's engagement was even across the face (to some fitting of parts & stoning of the lug). If it has a very thin depth of engagement across the face it very likely may pop open on firing. About .060"-.100" seems to be about normal.

Hope that helps.

As stated, It is not that hard to fit the H&R NEF barrels. As long as they have not been tinkered with by another home gun smith. At the same time, you must read and understand the why and how-to's. If you are not comfortable doing it your self, read the reviews on Remington/H&R they will get better.

Handi rifles are great fun, welcome to your newest addiction.

Lonny