Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Ruger Mk3 Hunter Malfunctions

Boolit Master

Ruger Mk3 Hunter Malfunctions

A friend recently bought the new Ruger Mk3 Hunter. It is very fussy about what you feed it. There are fail to feed and ejection issues with several kinds of 22rf ammo. My old blue Mk2 will eat any brand and type of ammo you feed it flawlessly. Anyone having issues with the new Mk3s or heard of any feeding issues?---dale
    Last edited by dale2242; 04-13-2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    I probably would try a box of CCI Mini Mags or other high velocity ammo. If it work with that stuff run a few hundred round of it through it to break it in.

I know with a Walther P22 they suggest running Mini Mag through it before anything else just to get it broke it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Generous Donator
    I have no experience with the MK3, but the last MK2 I bought required lots of shooting before it became reliable. Around the third brick (1500 rounds) it settled in and now shoots fine.

As suggested above high velocity ammo like the mini-mags will help.

Boolit Buddy

My MKIII Hunter has been flawless since the first rounds. I made sure to clean and lube it good before I shot it for the first time. Shoots all the bulk ammo just fine.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Buddy

I just put a Volquartsen extractor in mine, it fixed my extraction issues. I had run a bunch of ammo through mine and it didn't seem to get any better. I hope you get your issues fixed, I put an UltraDot sight on mine and it sure is fun.
    Jeff

I am having a feeding problem with mine it will almost cut the bullet into length wise and bend it sideways about every third shot. I have cleaned it and tried Winchester super X and Remington yellow jackets in it same result. My MK2 Gov mod will digest any thing you feed it so I don't know whats wrong with the MK3's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter 24095 View Post
    I am having a feeding problem with mine it will almost cut the bullet into length wise and bend it sideways about every third shot. I have cleaned it and tried Winchester super X and Remington yellow jackets in it same result. My MK2 Gov mod will digest any thing you feed it so I don't know whats wrong with the MK3's.
    It sounds like a bad magazine. The front of the bullet is popping up before it should.

My MK2 I had to modify the sear disconnector plate to get the trigger to reset between shots, lap the barrel to remove the machine marks, and change magazine to get it to function.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    It sounds like a bad magazine. The front of the bullet is popping up before it should.
    I thought about that but both mags do it maybe I received two bad mags I have been wanting to buy this new upper http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/...idproduct=1016 for it but want it to feed before I do.

In Remebrance

My MK 3 22/45 feeds and extracts perfectly. Never had a bobble with it.

Boolit Master

I have a MK2 and it had a problem feeding from the get-go! My awesome wife bought it for me for our Anniversary one year, so I really didn't want to get rid of it. It was used when she got it. I bought a new mag thinking that was the problem. I also bought all kinds of different ammo to run through it, but no luck! It sat dormant for years, because of the frustration. It is a SS bull barrel gun with nice adj. sights. Well There I am at the range shooting it (very accurate BTW) and it is jamming like mad and I was about to put it up and a guy walks over and says "nice Ruger". Thanks says I, but it is a jam-o-matic right now. He said his Dad had one that was doing the same thing and he gently polished the feed ramp and it was good to go. So I go home and clean it up and look at the feed ramp. The thing had ridges on the feed ramp something fierce! I polished the feed ramp and cleaned it even more. Took it out and the thing will gobble up everything you can think of! Later on down the road I took it all apart and scrubbed everything and lightly oiled the innards and I also ground and polished the face of the trigger. The sucker is nice now.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.