Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Badly Burned!!!

Boolit Master
    I've dropped a bit of molten lead on my sandle-wearing-toes before. Not a pleasant sensation. More recently, I was casting and had taken my safety glasses off for one reason or another. Stupidly, I left them on top of my head because I wasn't paying attention. While stirring the pot, a bit of lead splashed out, and a tiny droplet landed on my left eyelashes. No injury was sustained, but had I not blinked at that second, I would have had a very injured eyeball! The moral of the story is wear your safety gear, because lead has a mind of its own.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master

I have a heavyweight cotton t-shirt that I used to use without a leather apron when I was welding up small projects around the house. It has quite a few burn holes in it and under each of those burn holes is a burn scar on my torso. Just minor scars though since the cotton protected me quite a bit. If you increase the thickness of the cotton to the point of heavyweight denim, you can really reduce the burns though since I've never had a burn go through my jeans and make it to my skin. Well, I did one time have a small blob of molten steel make it through the jeans and then drop down into the top of some open top boots that I was wearing... Now, *that* was an 'interesting' experience. I did quite a bit of hopping around before that one cooled off. I also quit wearing the pull-on type open top boots and switched to only wearing lace-up type boots.

Boolit Grand Master

I do a lot of warm weather casting (as well as cold weather casting). First of all, I DEFINITELY use nothing but cotton clothing. I wear a set of bib overalls. My shirt is a lightweight but long sleeved cotton shirt. I also wear a cotton shop apron over all. I also wear a cotton fatigue cap to cover my head (getting molten lead splatter on my bald pate would NOT a fun process. I wear welding gloves summer or winter and twist off the sprue plate rather than beat it.

I find that two layers of light cloth are far better than one layer of light or even heavier cloth and it is more comfortable.

My bib overalls have full legs so easily drape over the tops of my shoes or boots. That IS important.

I wear the same set of clothing all of the time, only changing the shirt weight in winter. I wear long johns and a flannel shirt with my bibs and shop apron.

I am DEFINITELY not a fashion plate when smelting or casting but I AM well covered and THAT is what is important!

Dale53

I worked as a Field Egnineer associated with Welding. Several years ago, I grabed a piece of hot metal and severely burned the center of the palm on my left hand. One of the welders had a cold pac that helped the pain. I went into a Drug Store and asked the Pharmasist what would work. He recommended Neosporen which I used with a loose gauze bandage. It healed the burned area and a week later the dead skin came off leaving the new skin that had formed underneath. If I would have had my gloves on at the time it would not have happened. dumb that. Oh yes and when casting bullets always use safety glasses no mater what. Be Safe /

My version of a splashed lead 3rd degree burn

I got startled by a flash flame while fluxing the pot. I jerked back and flipped 800 degree lead on my hand and arm. Of course, no gloves...I've been casting for 30+ years...I don't need gloves right? What an a$$. So I paid for my arrogance.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Here is the photo of the damage

Oops....I forgot to upload the photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 216486_1694914654012_1272190100_31412822_7363977_n.jpg  
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Buddy
    Long ago, I had a hot piece of slag drop in my shoe while I was welding. It burned me worse than lead ever has. I cast in shorts, flipflops and a tshirt with safety glasses.
    So far only minor burns which I would have gotten even with long pants, long sleeved shirt and shoes.

Got a splash on my knee one day. With lond pants on it would have set my leg on fire... No thanks. Better safe and comfortable while casting. The stress of wearing safety equipment makes it more dangerous for me.

Boolit Master

Lead pipe smelting........

Had scrap pipe ( water) I had to smelt. I always start with a cold pot with the pipe in it. Well I wasin a hurry so I added what i thought was a dry piece. I was outside( thank God) I heard it sizzle and a backed out fast. Lead shot up about 8 ft in the air Hit my house sliding ( aluminum) went all over the cement patio( Wife wasnt home (again praise the Lord) Some melted on my nylon shorts i got hit with a splat below 1 eye( Did have regular precription glasses on. Well now i wear safety glasses over my small glasses and dont add unknow lead to a pot with melted lead in it i wear welder's gloves also

Boolit Grand Master

Ya may get by for your whole life, taking FOOLISH chances. And then again, next time could be yours.
    Burns from melted lead are some of the must painful, and take forever to heal. If it gets infected (likely) it can disfigure you, or even bring on the undertaker.
    Being macho is dumb.

Boolit Master
    Having the lead fairly visit me once, lead sprayed all over my googles, cotton shirt, gloves and shoes. I sure was glad to be wearing cotton. I don't care that Florida is 95 degrees when I smelt. I still wear protection.

Boolit Grand Master

I wear cotton clothing (check an inconspicuous place with a match - things are not always labeled correctly) for comfort when casting. In fact, I have a dedicated "casting uniform":
    Low boots with pants legs over the tops.
    Bib overalls (who cares if my neighbors poke fun).
    Long sleeved shirt.
    Long shop apron.
    Cap (don't need burns on my bald pate - hair is worse (it captures and holds
    the molten lead for even worse burns).
    Welding gloves that come up over my sleeve ends.
    Glasses - a face shield would be even better.

With this outfit, I can cast in relative safety. Accidents not only CAN happen, they WILL! Protect yourself...

I cast year 'round, almost regardless of the weather.

Dale53

To the OP, I am glad that you survived to live another day and share your experiences with the rest of us.

Just today I purchased welders gloves and a whole face shield from Harbor Freight.

Banned
    FWIW if you do happen to get visited by the tinsel fairey an excellent remedy to use is egg whites applied directly to the burn area just separate the yolk from the white and use only the egg whites keep applying as it dries and in a few days you will be amazed at how the skin heals from this remedy.

burns

belive it or not when I get burnt I grab a piece of aloe and keep it on the burn area I usualy do not even get a blister I belive all casters should use natures wonder drug aloe it works D Crockett
    Last edited by D Crockett; 12-19-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hello, everyone. To those of you who think that regular safety glasses are enough while casting: Years ago, while dipper casting, very tiny speck of molten alloy found it's way up under glasses, and hit me in corner of eye!..by the time I rushed inside to bathroom mirror, it was lying on eyelid. surprisingly, pain wasn't that bad, & didn't last long. Checked with my eye doctor next day..no damage..BUT..it could just have easily hit the cornea. Now I always wear at least close fitting goggles over glasses..and more often than not..especially when emptying a pot into ingots..full face shield.

Ive added boots to my casting gear pile.

A few years ago I was casting, and didnt realize I had sandals on, when a piece of sprew hit my sock.

Never made that mistake again.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    +1 on the Aloe plant. Years back in Chattanooga our youngest son of about 2 years walked up to the electric stove and plopped his hand on the just shut off burner on a Saturday morning. My wife wife grabbed him and got his hand in a bowl of water. I zipped out the back door and cut a large stem off the "burn plant". Back in the kitchen I split it open length ways and with my wife holding his hand palm up placed that plant on his circular blistered hand. We did that 30 minutes. Then a new application of juice every 30 minutes. All he eneded up with was an interesting parralel circular brown marks that eventually wore off.
    We keep one growing here in Peru and pass new "babies" on to anyone who does not have one. Works for many skin calamaties.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

There are hundreds of subspecies, of which I have a couple dozen different kinds .

Aloe Vera has always been my go to for wasp, fire ant stings and burns and have planted patches of it scattered all throughout my pastures . We recently added Aloe Ferox to the club and it seems that the analgesic properties are a bit more pronounced .

Aloe Barberae , not my yard

Boolit Buddy
    Well if every one is telling the "I can't believeeeee I just did that!" stories, here is mine.

I have been casting since 1970 or so, and thought I had the bases covered. Wore my gloves, long sleve shirts and full pants. Boots up under the pants (only took one buckshot to convince me!) I am near sighted so I always have my glasses on.

Well this Feb. I was casting some NOE 360-180 WFN HPTs, I set the lead hotter than normal to get the hpts to fill out properly. Saw my #2 alloy needed fluxing so I put some old RCBS NRA formula lube in as flux and start stiring. With out thinking I leaned in close to see if any crud was behind the stem and of course that is when the smoke lit off and a big fire ball hits me in my snout and lips!!! Well let me tell you that fire ball was hot! I grabed my water soaked towel that I keep close when I cast and slapped it to my now tingling nose and lips and to the kitchen I went. I start hollering for help from the Wife and tell her I am burnt. Well she just tells me to get the burn cream from the fridgerator (Silvedene). Finally my continued bellering and putting water on my face at the sink convinces her I need more help than advice!
    She comes and slathers silvedene all over my snout and lips, then starts laughing because I was quite a sight. The Silvedene kept me from blistering I just looked kinda like Rudolph for a few days.

Moral is I had all the proper PPE for pre burn and the after burn care stuff was in place as well, just had my head up my behind and a moments in attention got me burned.

But I did not have to trim any nose hairs for awhile!

I am glad the original poster is ok!
    Last edited by hamour; 04-20-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Oh, Man, OUCH! You were actually pretty lucky! Yup, right on about not needing to trim the nose hairs for awhile!

rl 1098
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast