Titan ReloadingPBcastcoInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Badly Burned!!!

Right that is why I have a few Aloe Vera Plants around the house. Also good for minor cuts.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Aloe Vera is great stuff! Doc told me to never use ice on a burn as it can freeze the tender unburnt skin and worsen the wound. Cold water only! Makes perfect sense to me and I follow his advice when burned. I used to cut scrap iron in another life. Dirty wet scrap throws sparks and molten steel quite a lot. Burns were an every day occurrence. Most were minor but every so often a painfull larger one would happen.
    cold water or whatever was handy followed by antibiotic cream and a dressing. I was filthy every day and never had a problem with infections. Once in a while someone would yell that your pants are on fire or such. Usually was followed by "I know, I will get it as soon as I am finished with this here cut."
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    Aloe Vera is great stuff! Doc told me to never use ice on a burn as it can freeze the tender unburnt skin and worsen the wound. Cold water only!
    Jay
    That may be what happened to me. I used ice. Live and learn!

John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

The quickest source of cold water is the toilet tank, not the bowl. Raise the handle and refill if it gets a little warm. Those of you who don't have inside facilities will have to improvise.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Silvadene cream is your friend.

I got burned, badly on my forearm about 2 months ago.

It blistered and peeled right away. And with most burns, I think it got infected.

I started seeing these slightly red splotches on the other parts of my forearm that weren't actually burnt.

Then I started getting this tingley feeling in my arm.

I was getting really worried. I was wondering if the red splotches were the start of the "streaks" I had heard about before. The "streaks" occur when the infection starts to travel, usually up towards the body.

I was worried I was going to lose my arm. So off to the ER I went. The doc called it "cellulitis". She prescribed some oral antibiotic pill and this silvadine cream.

Both of those together worked wonders.

I think the doc gave me an extra prescription of silvadine cream. So once I can find that, I will have it re-filled, just so I can have an extra tube of the stuff around the house.

Anywhooo... yeah, I wear gloves when I cast.

My burn from two months ago wasn't from casting though.

I have done a lot of arc welding and oxy-acetylene cutting over the last 40 years and only got burned twice from that particular work. I had a minor burn on my index finger when I passed my finger under the cutting torch tip when I slipped, I had taken my glove off to adjust the darned flame and that is when it got me. It never hurt and didn't really burn me at all for some reason, but my skin was singed anyway!

The other time got me real bad, I was arc welding upside down doing an overhead out-of-position weld using E6011, which spatters and throws all sorts of big molten iron balls and globs on AC. I had a big 1/4" ball of molten weldment drip down inside my glove onto my wrist and it stuck under my watch band. When working I normally remove my wrist watch and I don't wear rings to begin with, but this one time I didn't take it off and it got me! It burned deep before I could take care of it and it did get infected even though I kept antibiotic cream on it. Now I have a big scar on my wrist to remind me.

rl676
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Moderator Emeritus

Good points Linstrum. Whenever welding or cutting over head don't forget earplugs. When i was starting out I asked a man I was working with why he wore earplugs. He replied, kid those hot ones hurt when they roll into your ear. I found out he was right.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

YEEEEOOOW!!! A big glob of molten slag/iron down the ear canal can do some serious damage, for sure! I certainly WILL wear ear plugs!

Thank you for mentioning it, that is not something welders normally do!

That was a trick used during the Spanish Inquisition, pouring molten lead in the ears of convicted blasphemers!

rl6778
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

A doo rag helps with that... or those small-ish welder caps with the really short bill, just swing the cap so that the bill is over whatever ear is most likely to get the splatter.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Back when I was doing a lot of welding and cutting I stopped tucking my shirt into my pants, too often some hot slag owuld get under my shirt, then when you try to get it out of a tucked in shirt it will keep going down into your pants and that's no fun.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Dad had me casting sinkers and muzzleloader bullets when I was 4. Well, helping... he let me cut the sprue.

I wasn't allowed to do it unsupervised until 13.

I would certainly say 1 is too young but as he gets older if he wants to help, I'm sure you can come up with something for him to make him feel proud.

As for the lead- I've never poured a whole ladle out on myself but have poured maybe a half ounce out on my leg... yes it hurt. I still wear shorts in the summer but now with a shop apron. Still no gloves. Any gloves strong enough to help are such a hindrance in movement I can't stand them. I suppose it will take a similar mishap to get me to change my tune.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to get burned when making seams in carpets where it was a job of cheap carpet. you had to bite the hot melt glue off or it would stick and burn till it cooled off lol. was burned quite a few times in 32 years of laying floors
    That made me be carefull with lead
    Thank god no one in your case got really hurt

Boolit Master
    My mom had brought home a jar called "Foil" it was for burns never new much about it Anyone run into it?

Plus 1 on the material you wear ...very important !
    As was stated by members here earlier ...100% cotton , starched even better.

In my line of work , gas company field work , we are required to wear 100% cotton long sleeve shirts and also the the "bug suits" we wear in emergencies are all cotton as was stated by the person earlier that the material "melted" into the skin instead.
    Cotton gives you those extra few seconds of time you need to get away as it's burning slowly ....

I always wondered " what the heck am I doing here !! " as the gas is blowing and the fire dept. is about 30 feet away pointing their hose's at my back ....

digger

I have had 2nd and 3rd on most of my right leg. Lots of pain for sure. I have found that ice in cold water, soak for at least 30 minutes helps a lot. I had a friend that I told and he had hot french fry grease spild on his arm, did what I told him, arm in the sink with a stopper and cold water running and had is wife put in as much ice as she could. No scaring or blishters and said pain was not that bad.

Boolit Grand Master

Whitespider;
    First of all, I am pleased to see you were not injured TOO badly (2nd degree is better than 3rd degree burns). Burns HURT!

I would also like to commend you for "manning up" and telling of your experience in view of your past attitude. That takes guts to do so, but you may have helped others to realize that protective clothing is a MUST.

I wear cloth - but make certain it is natural fibers and at least two layers. Lead splashed on one layer will burn nearly as badly as bare skin. However, two layers provide insulation.

My dedicated casting outfit is boots, bib overalls, a long sleeved shirt, leather welding gloves (sometimes sold as "fireplace gloves" that have rather long gauntlets to fully cover my wrists. I also wear a cap (molten lead gets stuck in hair - I don't have much hair but I do have ACRES of skin on my head). Then, I wear a long shop apron. I have splashed lead on more than one occasion without a glimmer of a problem. I am CAREFUL regardless of my clothing - the idea is tor PREVENT burns, not test the limit of my protection.

Above all - wear glasses or even better, a face shield.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    An old thread revisited, but certainly relevant and important to all of us.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Quite a few years ago, I was cooking Sunday breakfast and turned over the hash brown patties and splashed a real big glob of hot grease on my forearm. I ended up going to the Dr. office and he put some kind of white salve on it and srapped it and sent me home. At home, that sucker hurt bad and my wife told me to put some McNess Krestol salve on it and put a light cover of gauze on it. The pain went away and healed great. I have used McNess for any and all cuts and burns since. Even pulls out slivers if it is covered. The can used to say " For man or beast". They took that off quite a few years ago. I don't sell the stuff or own stock, I just know it works great for me.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

Other sites I'm on have old threads brought up all the time, but they usually aren't threads with good information like this one.

I've used silvadene cream on minor burns growing up. My parents had it around from other stuff I guess. It worked wonders. I've heard that the pharmacist can sell it to you if you need it without a script, but I haven't checked that.

I also figured you can get about anything online these days, so I did a quick search. It looks like the vet grade silvadene is cheaply and easily available online. It says it's 1%, can anyone look at a jar of the RX kind and compare them?

http://www.amazon.com/BASF-Corporati.../dp/B000EGO7O0
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Longwood

!00% Cotton

I am a welder with about 50 years worth of burn and cut scars.
    Your protective clothing should be 100% cotton. Even a thin all cotton Tee shirt is better than a thicker shirt made from a synthetic which will melt and stick to your skin very nicely.
    Vitamin E oil, from the capsules, really helps burns, and cuts, heal much faster.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast