RepackboxPBcastcoReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Badly Burned!!!

Boots are fine but they should be lace up. I was using a cutting torch under a piece of farm machinery and had on engineers boots. When I crawled out from underneath I didn't realize that my pant leg had pulled up and slid inside my boot instead of over it. I went back to cutting from a standing position and dropped about a .25 caliber goober in my boot. By the time I shut down the torch and pried my boot off it had burned about halfway into the top of my foot. Didn't hurt all that bad, looked like a brand after I pulled the goober out with a needle nose plier. Healed rather quickly but I still have the scar today. RD

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cohutt View Post
    One was between the tongue and the top of my ankle and the other went down towards the instep and settled in the crease between my foot and the shoe.
    both of the blobs melted the synthetic in the socks/shoes and stuck exactly where it landed.
    Synthetic fabrics suck with regards to fire and such... Wool is good... Cotton is good... Things that melt and stick to your skin really suck...

I welded up my channel iron ingot molds tonight... Had to test one of them out, so I took the leftover stick-on wheel weights and melted them down... It was raining pretty bad, so I had the burner inside the garage and I was standing outside of it... The lead ingot came out, but I had to knock it on the concrete a few times... Not bad considering I haven't used a die grinder to smooth out the welds on the inside... While I was cutting the metal with an abrasive blade in my circular saw, a hot piece of metal came up and went in my ear... It didn't go all the way to the ear drum, but it was definitely on the inner part of the ear... Very weird feeling... Not pleasant at all...

Turns out there were quite a few of the stick on weights that didn't melt... They were kind of shiny, so apparently they are zinc...
    Last edited by grumman581; 05-04-2017 at 06:57 AM.

For the new guys. Be careful out there.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...n-Action!-Pics
    Last edited by Just Duke; 07-21-2013 at 11:27 AM.

This should be a sticky.

For the new guys.

If you do this kind of thing you WILL get a burn now and then. This is what I do. But some might call this a bit of a cheat lol. I have planted Aloe Vera at my house as this is good not only for burns but also small cuts and so on. But when I do get a burn I run it over cold water for a bit then cut off a piece of Aloe Vera and peel the outside off and put that on the burn several times as it does dry.

If you do not have Aloe Vera that you can grow where you live you can purchase it in a container from your local grocery store or Drug Store.

A few weeks ago I bumped my full ingot mold I just filled with my left inside wrist and melted about 1 in by 2 inches of skin and made a nice square burn of about 3 inches by 3 inches lol.Was not fun. But with what I did above it did heal pretty fast for a burn. But all burns take longer to heal than other things that may happen.

Did I mention I am accident prone lol.

And since I did mention accident prone lol. The following week. I had some people to work on my house for a repaint. And well a worker broke the upper window in my kitchen. No Biggie to me as I can replace a darn window lol. But the kicker was I opened my outside kitchen door to look at how bad things were and just when I did open the door a 2 foot by 1 foot piece of jagged glass fell and hit me in the shin. And I thought nothing of it really as where it hit there are not many nerve endings lol. But when I went back outside to talk to the worker I felt a squish lol. My right tennis shoe was full of blood and had a nice 1 foot puddle of it around my foot. It hit an artery lol. A shop rag and duct tape worked well here lol. Made it to the local Med Clinic just in time to have them sew me up with 4 inside and 6 outside. Did get a little light headed from loss of blood. But it was still a Great day. I lived to get stitched together another day lol.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 08-28-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

I don't know if I would want to hang out with you!
    Could be kind of dangerous.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Awwwww whats a few stitches or 3rd degree burns between friends lol.

But I do have to say I was on a good streak. No Stitches since 2003 and that is a loooooooooooooooong time for me
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Looking at those burnt foot photos (ouch!!) has prompted me to second the advice regarding the importance of lace up boots with the pant's leg over the top. When I graduated HS I went to work as a plumber's helper for a season. That was in the days of leaded joint cast iron drainage systems. Anyway, a plumber where I was hired had the habit of wearing his 8" boots laced to standard shoe height with the shaft of the boot unlaced. Those boots so laced would gape open when he was in the squatting position. One day he was squatting on a ceiling joist in the attic of a home under construction and a helper was walking across the joists bringing him ~ 3lbs of lead in a 5lb ladle. As the helper approached from behind he tripped and as he was going down managed to pour the ladle of molten lead into the open top of the plumber's boot. Needless to say it was ugly - burned completely through his Achilles’ tendon and the plumber was not walking for ~ a year. Praise God I was not the helper that tripped (or the poor plumber for that matter)! Moral of the story - protect yourself!
    NRA Life Memeber

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

burns

also why I use bottom pour pot.and bolt it to a sturdy table.to easy to move about and bump the pot.I have used a bottom pour gilbert from 1937 with toy soldiers,then to a lyman and now lee/saeco
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

Welding shirts

What was mentioned about welding shirts is true. We use denim shirts starched to keep spatter off. It does work better than most. Flannel and thermal undershirts will set you on fire quickly. So, blue denim starched is cheap, the pro Carhardtt tan shirts are sometimes better.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    I have found that the biggest hazzard in our hobby is DISTRACTIONS. I cast in the nude, therefore I am vulnable, So I take it very slow and careful!

Cooking in the nude makes you very conscious of the hazzards in the kitchen also.

I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but maybe somebody will read it and get some good from it.

When casting I have never sat or stood in front of a bench. I have ALWAYS done my alloy preparation and boolit casting down on the floor since there is virtually no chance of molten metal pouring down in my lap, pants pockets, and shoes since my feet are at about the same elevation as the electric melting pot plus are a fair distance across the floor from it. If metal gets spilled while pouring into a mold, nearly all of my body is higher above it and to get to my feet the molten metal has to run sideways across the floor for a few feet and molten lead chills before it has a chance to flow very far on a concrete floor. Molten lead dropped from a height of six inches doesn't splash much, either.

I know that not everybody can squat down on the floor, but if you can, try doing as much of your casting down on the floor as possible. My dad started me squatting down on the floor when I was a little kid to keep my pant knees from getting holes in them plus to help keep my clothes clean. It has paid off in more ways than keeping the knees in my pants and preventing burn injuries, it has kept my legs limber so I can still squat down on my haunches in the "duck walk" position all day without my legs and joints aching. When my dad was 90 he could still squat down on the floor like he taught me, so it helped him, too (he just couldn't always get back up! ).

rl610
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

OOOPS!

I forgot to mention in my post above that I still use protective gear along with working on the floor, working down low is NOT a substitute for safety equipment! Especially since working down low is NOT any protection at all against a steam explosion, although I do not process raw wheel weights indoors and up close like when I'm casting boolits. But a steam explosion could still happen.

One item of safety gear I use without fail is safety glasses - I only have one good eye and if that goes, that's it for me.

rl610a
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Pb finely got me

I've been working with molten metal since 10 years old (helping my Dad cast bullets) and never been burned by more than splatter droplets from a Lee-ky bottom pour pot but last week I got burned fairly badly. And not even casting bullets either. I was helping a friend who restores old steam machinery by casting a new bearing for him. This bearing has no steel shell and fits a 6' shaft, it is 3/4 inch thick by 4" wide. Takes a 20lb pot to pour one. A young man I'd hired as a helper had listened to my safety instructions and done fairly well but just before I was getting ready to pull the crucible from the furnace he dropped a chunk of dross lead off the ground from a previous pour into the melt. I had the furnace in the doorway of my shop so he had just leaned around the doorway to drop it in and had moved out of the line of sight when the water in the spongy dross exploded. I was wearing my leather apron, canvas leggings, Nomex gloves and had on a full face-shield so the best thing I could have done was just 'take it' from the front.

Instead, I 'ducked and covered' in an instant reflex as the geyser of molten lead erupted out. It rained most of the 20 pounds of lead all around me. My shirt protected my back and the face-shield hat and hair protected my head. But I am badly burned on the back of my neck where the molten lead landed on un-protected skin. I have a mixed 1st/2nd/3rd degree burn that is about 3" top to bottom and 5" side to side. Cooled it as fast as I could with the shop water hose then I used the AloeVera juice from the plant I have growing in a big 10 gal pot beside the shop. It sure helped. Could have been a lot worse, the helper had taken off his goggles without me realizing it and if he had been standing in front of the furnace with me he would have been blinded. As it was the only thing he got was startled! I still have to pour the bearing but he does not want to work with molten metal again. Ha,I should invite him over when I'm pouring steel!!!! He'd sure see some fire and sparks then.

In years past, when I was much younger I did not always wear all the safety gear but I sure do nowdays. I don't wear leather gloves while casting bullets because it makes me too clumsy but since we have Nomex single layer cloth gloves today I do wear them. Or one could get the unpadded cotton 'inspection' gloves and heavily starch them and still have manipulation ability yet splatter protection. And for sure keep the untrained kids away. Like drown proofing or gun safety, its the ignorant that either get hurt or cause an injury. For if you never let them learn from you then they will probably not be casters, eh?

Boolit Master

well as the saying goes it only takes once. The guys that do the water drop boolit will get their day. I have had 2 blow up from range scrap. one was a 45cap and it stuck in the 1/2 panel of the shop door 20ft away

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

My two cents worth on this tread, I smelt alot of lead I like to do a few hundred lbs at a time, I have my pot low to the ground or should say cement which if you get to hot it will explode sending concrete and lead flying. This will happen due to water in the pores turning to steam. So i keep my concrete cover with some old plywood and its all low to the ground which I think is always a good ideal.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Thumbs up Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    If anyone gets burned by lead, get the burn under cold water FAST and keep pouring cold water on it for at least 1/2 hour. You might not even get a blister, only a scar.

I hope that everyone reads the above statement. For years I worked in an aluminum reduction plant. Everything there was extremely hot. You learned right away that if burned you run to the watercooler and flush the area with cold water. If you are able to do this soon enough, the burn is greatly minimized and the pain is greatly relieved.

I was once told by one of the company's medical staff that when burned, the elevated temperature of the burned skin actually continues to burn the skin layers underneath for some time afterward and that if you can hit the burn with cold water right away, it stops this process thus minimizing the injury.

Boolit Master

I've never gotten a lead burn despite some close calls, but about 2 weeks ago I was changing the oil on our car after driving it for about a half hour to get the oil good and hot. Everything went well until I started to remove the filter. It was next to the exhaust pipe as it exits the manifold. I let the back of my hand touch the pipe and before I could jerk it away I had a pretty good (?) burn. It didn't hurt much after the initial pain so I ignored it for about 10 min. Then I went inside and put ice on it but apparently the damage was done. The site has healed to the point it is only about 1/3 the size it was initially. New skin must generate from the circumference of the injury toward the center. The worst part is it still hurts almost as much as it did right after it happened. Cold water or ice as quickly as possible would have kept this from being the pain and inconvenience that this has been for almost 2 weeks. Hopefully it will heal completely in another 2 weeks.

About all I can say is I'm glad it wasn't a lead burn. My last WW clean up was done without a supply of water nearby. I would think that a list of smelting equipment should include a water hose a short distance away.

John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    John, get some aloe vera, or emu oil, and the healing wil lbe at least twice as fast.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast