Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2PBcastco
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Badly Burned!!!

Badly Burned!!!

A while back I replied on a thread about safety gear when casting. Being the big “he-man” that I am I posted that I usually did my casting bare handed, and I’m here to tell you that today is the last time I’ll be casting bare handed.

After doing the Easter Bunny thing with the kids, and a few Honey-Dos, I wandered out to the shed and threw some alloy in the pot. I’m short on boolits for the .38 WCF and started pouring some from a Lyman #401043 mold. Wow, every thing was just right today, boolits just fell from the mold, perfectly filled out, mirror bright and shiny. I had a rhythm going, fan blowing just the right amount of air over the mold to keep it at the perfect temperature, when....

....the ladle spout hooked on the edge of the mold, giving it a rapid “flip”. A full ladle of hot molten boolit alloy was dumped onto my BARE HAND!! Onto the hand holding the mold, which in my panic, caused the mold to go bouncing across the concrete floor of the shed. You can not even begin to imagine the pain.

Believe it or not, I’m actually thankful; things could have been so much worse...
    The mold didn’t get damaged as far as usability, still closes fine and the cavity is undamaged. But, moments before my wife, daughter and 14-month old son had been out to ask me how much longer I’d be. My son had run underneath my arms, babbling something in that foreign language that 1-year-olds use, grabbing my leg.

From now on I’ll be wearing GLOVES!!!

Boolit Master
    thank the Lord

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Glad you didn't get hurt badly. However! NEVER let children around a pot of hot lead. That is a serious to deadly accident waiting to happen.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

If anyone gets burned by lead, get the burn under cold water FAST and keep pouring cold water on it for at least 1/2 hour. You might not even get a blister, only a scar.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Glad you didn't get hurt badly.
    I guess "badly" is a relative term. I'm typing with one hand, the other hand has over a third of it covered in blisters, a couple as large as a half-dollar.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, not 3d degree burns, thank God. I've had a couple of splashes myself that were very minor compared to yours. By God, it does hurt.

Boolit Master
    NOT GOOD !

Sounds like you were a very lucky man today !

Listen to waksupi ! I never let anyone in the same room or area when I have molten alloy going ! EVER !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

Sometimes my kids come out to where I cast to ask me something. I always just stop, get up and go to where they are. I won't let them into my casting room. And if you don't like to cast with leather goloves, like I don't , just go to Walgreen's or Orchard Supply or even online and buy some Ove' Gloves. Cotton on the inside and Nomex and Kevlar on the outside. Very comfortable and WAY more heat resistant than leather.

thank God your not hurt too badly
    and your kids are safe
    i as well like no others around while casting
    we should ALL learn a leson from this
    SAFETY FIRST!
    gloves are a must......long sleeves at least....and please!!!!!
    NO OPEN TOED SHOES!!!!!
    glad to hear your ok
    waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master
    No small kids with their extra tender skin should be allowed within any appreciable distance of a pot full of lead, especially with a cord to trip over or similar.

A burn that is painful but survivable to an adult can kill a child.

Especially a 1 year old or other toddler.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to hear that you are not hurt to bad, but it is going to be a pain to sleep tonight!

I never let anyone near my area when I am casting. Not even the dog.

I still remember being a kid (maybe 6) and I was playing in the kitchen when my grandmother tripped over me and spilled a pot of hot coffee over my back. That was almost 40 years ago and I still can picture where in the house we were, and where I was.

Take care of the hand, watch it for infection, and take pain killers and try to get some sleep.

Boolit Master
    As the saying goes, "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger" Glad you were not hurt any worse and the family is safe. I know you'll come out the other side smarter and safer. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitespider View Post
    A while back I replied on a thread about safety gear when casting. Being the big “he-man” that I am I posted that I usually did my casting bare handed, and I’m here to tell you that today is the last time I’ll be casting bare handed.

After doing the Easter Bunny thing with the kids, and a few Honey-Dos, I wandered out to the shed and threw some alloy in the pot. I’m short on boolits for the .38 WCF and started pouring some from a Lyman #401043 mold. Wow, every thing was just right today, boolits just fell from the mold, perfectly filled out, mirror bright and shiny. I had a rhythm going, fan blowing just the right amount of air over the mold to keep it at the perfect temperature, when....

....the ladle spout hooked on the edge of the mold, giving it a rapid “flip”. A full ladle of hot molten boolit alloy was dumped onto my BARE HAND!! Onto the hand holding the mold, which in my panic, caused the mold to go bouncing across the concrete floor of the shed. You can not even begin to imagine the pain.

Believe it or not, I’m actually thankful; things could have been so much worse...
    The mold didn’t get damaged as far as usability, still closes fine and the cavity is undamaged. But, moments before my wife, daughter and 14-month old son had been out to ask me how much longer I’d be. My son had run underneath my arms, babbling something in that foreign language that 1-year-olds use, grabbing my leg.

From now on I’ll be wearing GLOVES!!!
    i would keep your kids away from your casting area. lead levels in adults might not do much,b ut it does have a impact on children.
    not to mention a 1 year probably should not be in the same room as molten lead.
    good to hear that nothing too sever happened, always wear protective clothing. I personally use leather gloves, goggles/glasses, and long sleeves

Boolit Master
    First get this treated! Burns can get infected incredibly fast! Go to the emergency room if you have not already done so! Do not self medicate, in a week they could be calling you Lefty!

The next thing your going to have to "survive" is SWMBO'S Lecture! Trust me if you haven't heard it yet it's because she's proof reading it!

Then count your blessing that it wasn't worse and set down concrete rules about entering the casting area and the reloading process in general.

I hope isn't as bad as it sounds and really glad it wasn't one of the kids.

When you deal with hot stuff the eventual burn is going to happen, I'm always scared I'll have an earthquake while casting, so take a good hard look at your casting area with the thought: what can go wrong here? Then take steps to remady them before they happen.

Good luck with the burn.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Things happen. It's great that you weren’t hurt bad. I've had a few lead burns too. I like to keep everyone away from my casting area unless they are involved in the casting operation. I have a couple grandsons that I’m teaching casting too (13 and above) so keeping kids away are sort of out of the question. We do wear leather gloves while casting.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

So flip-flops are out?
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

In Remembrance
    First, glad you're okay and even more relieved your kids weren't hurt. Dittos to what Bret and everyone else said about keeping the kids and animals away from molten alloy.

Second, I'll second the advice to get the burn looked at. I wouldn't consider molten alloy/lead to be the cleanest stuff in the world. Wouldn't be a bad idea to at least let a doctor give your hand a lookover and get a shot of antibiotics. That pain you'll feel in your butt will take your mind off your hand for a few moments and let you reflect on how damned lucky you are.

Third, it only took me ONE minor burn and now I won't go near my casting table without gloves and glasses--either my prescrip reading glasses or my safety glasses. I figure I used up my one chance the Lord grants us for being an idiot--next one I'M ACCOUNTABLE for.

Often times, the hardest lessons are the most painful ones--but they're the ones learned best.

Again, glad you're okay.

A leather apron and welders gloves are less than $10 each at Harbor Freight. Pretty cheap insurance for the always present danger of serious burns.

I don't believe in ANY distractions when working with molten metal. No radio, no family members .... nothing. It's so easy to space out when doing repetitive stuff. Our hides are a terrible thing to waste.
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master
    I know the pain that I felt when my coleman stove pump spewed gasoline over my hand and burst into flame. It was out within seconds, but I got blisters all over my hand the size of dimes and quarters. It was extremely painful, and yours is much worse. I feel for you.

Cold water first, and then although I hand't used a pain killer in years, I ran through the house searching until I actually found some Oxycotin. I also logged onto this forum the same day and told my account of what had happened.

I didn't go the the doctor, but did follow advice and left the blisters alone and let them break by themselves when they were ready. I kept liberal amounts of triple antibiotic over everything before and after they broke, until they were well on their way to being healed. Thankfully I didn't get an infection.

Hang in there - the pain will diminish after a few days. Depending on what 'handed' you are, you may have to switch where you keep things in your pocket for a while.

Thanks for sharing your experience so others can learn from somone else's mistake.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    First get this treated! Burns can get infected incredibly fast! Go to the emergency room if you have not already done so! Do not self medicate, in a week they could be calling you Lefty!
    Just in case you missed this excellent advice the first time. Large burns like this are serious business.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast