RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Anyone Make HomeBrew Gas Checks?

Boolit Mold

Anyone Make HomeBrew Gas Checks?

A buddy and I recently managed to purchase 1,000 lbs of scrap lead. It appears dead soft. We are now trying to decide whether to alloy it and cast it, or use it as cores for swaging.

We use cast bullets in 9mm, 38 Special, .40 S&W and .45 ACP with no problems, but want something that won't lead at .357 and .44 Mag velocities. We also have swaging dies for .223, .243, and .30 cal.

I've looked into Free Chex--which are made from aluminum cans, etc. but there appears to be mixed results.

To make a long story short--my buddy recalled using something back in the 70's that would flatten a copper disk (he used pennies) and then a die that would form the flattened penny over a cast bullet to make a gas check or jacket, depending on bullet size.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or tried this?

I know today's pennies are mainly zinc, but they're also much cheaper than gas checks by a factor of 3 or 4.

Thanks,

Utah Smitty

PatMarlin makes a gas check making die for a .30 cal check. Send him a PM to buy.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Buddy
    You mentioned swaging. For the lesser pistol calibers, have you thought of the Corbin copper base guard bullet? I am going to experiment with those in .38 spl. Corbin brags them up, but I dunno if they would cut it at magnum velocities.

Boolit Master

howdy

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=castalott

Here is an old thread on this subject. Maybe you will find it helpful...

Dale

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Smitty View Post
    A buddy and I recently managed to purchase 1,000 lbs of scrap lead. It appears dead soft. We are now trying to decide whether to alloy it and cast it, or use it as cores for swaging.

Do you plan on mixing the "dead soft lead" with WW or anything to toughen it?

We use cast bullets in 9mm, 38 Special, .40 S&W and .45 ACP with no problems, but want something that won't lead at .357 and .44 Mag velocities. We also have swaging dies for .223, .243, and .30 cal.

I've looked into Free Chex--which are made from aluminum cans, etc. but there appears to be mixed results.

I have 2 of the FreeCheck tools. One was made for a modified 358156 with a larger than normal shank. The .004-.005" pop can metal is working very well. The other is for .375" boolits. I am using them in my 375 Super Mag at 1400 FPS. No problem with leading and they work well BUT I use cat food cans for the stock and it is .008-.009" thick. I have yet to master the laminated checks. I intend to try them in a 375 Winchester soon to further test them in the 2000 FPS range.

To make a long story short--my buddy recalled using something back in the 70's that would flatten a copper disk (he used pennies) and then a die that would form the flattened penny over a cast bullet to make a gas check or jacket, depending on bullet size.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or tried this? Sorry...no I haven't. Seems like they would be even more labor intensive than the FreeCheck tools.

I know today's pennies are mainly zinc, but they're also much cheaper than gas checks by a factor of 3 or 4. The FreeCheck tools run about $30 and with the thicker material, I am very satisfied with the results to date. To me the downside of them with pop cans is one has to laminate them. I have seen guys say they do this with no problem. I guess I am challenged!

Thanks,

Utah Smitty
    I hope my comments help you. I believe JeffinNZ uses the FreeCheck tools and has gotten some decent results with them in 30 cal.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=45542

It was a pretty active thread for a while. Shows a couple different ideas.

Just depends on whether you want to spend money, or put in time over the machine tools (if you have them)

There are a couple other good threads around, too, including patmarlins thread showing in pictures how his unit works.

Cheers
    Trev

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    I hope my comments help you. I believe JeffinNZ uses the FreeCheck tools and has gotten some decent results with them in 30 cal.

Edd
    Edd

We haven't totally decided what to do with the lead. I do have about 300 lbs of Wheel Weights, and 20 lbs of bar solder, and a couple 100 lb ingots of lead as well.

We'll probably cast a goodly portion of it for our 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 38 Special bullets.

I'll have to see if I can find patmarlins's threads.

One of the posted links shows gas checks made from Budweiser aluminum bottles. Apparently the metal is .015" or so thick. I suspect this would work in the Free Chex die, but I'd have to punch them out with a hole punch.

What I'd like to do is get a punch made up that would form a cup that could be used on .357" and .429" bullets and form a complete jacket up to the start of the ogive.

As for .30 caliber rounds... I've been reading up on some people forming jackets from fired cartridge cases... there might be something that would work for the .30 cal.

Smitty