Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: looking for 45-70 contender load w re7

Boolit Bub

looking for 45-70 contender load w re7

looking for 45-70 load using re7 for a contender w/ 23" barrel. The only bullet I currently have on hand is rem 405 grn sp. I'm waiting on rd mold to come in.
    Re7 was the only powder I could find on the shelf in my area good for 45-70. So now I need to load some rounds up. Just wondering if any one has loads safe for contender.

I'm waiting on rd mold to come in, thats why no cast boolits

42 to 46 grains should work well for your 45-70.More than that will kick hard in the contender.I'm going to try that power in my Highwall when I figure what mold to get.I'm leaning towards the 350GC saeco,going to scope it and don't want to get sore shoulder syndrome or scope brow when deer hunting.400's at 1900 fps aren't no fun anymore for me.Let us know how your 45-70 shoots.

Boolit Master
    I had a 16 inch Contender barrel and nothing I put in it was what I would call light on recoil. I tried some 300 gr slugs and 1300 fps and they still hurt me so bad that I sold the barrel and never looked back.

42gr of RL-7 and a 405gr boolit in a lite TC with 23" BBL will kick like a mule, try it, you might like it. I use RL-7 in my 45/70's , but not in a TC. I had a TC W/ 16" BBL w/M Brake and it was a beast. I also sold mine. Good Luck
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Rl 7

One of my favorite loads with a 405 grain cast bullet is 40.0 grains of RL7, for about 1600fps. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Bub

a little lighter please

For 1285 fps out of a 16 in barrel, I use 36 grains Rl 7 and a 405 grain bullet. I have used the remington and speer bullets extensively and gotten big holes, dead animals and not so much recoil. The extra recoil is too high a price to pay for the extra velocity for me. I'm not going to gain anything significant in distance or killing power, and believe me at close to 1300 fps I don't think there's anything on this continent that can't be killed with a 400 grain bullet.