RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 16 grains of 2400 powder

Boolit Master

16 grains of 2400 powder

Bob S and others on this and other boards have been touting this load in just about any rifle with any boolit as an accurate combination. I finally tried it and I'm becoming a believer. Last week I tried this load using 5 different boolits for my 03A3 and fired 10 rounds of each boolit at 100 yards. Best group was with the 311 644 @ 2 1/2" and worst 2 were the Lee 155 and Lyman 311 041 @ 3". The other 2 boolits were the RCBS 30-180-SP (old style) @ 2 3/4" Lyman 311 375 @ 2 7/8. I have a few different boolits loaded up with this charge for my next trip to the range. I guess you guys are on to something.

I also tried this load with three boolits in my K31. Only the Lee 155 grain boolit did well. The other 2 boolits were the 311 644 and RCBS 30-180-SP, which had to be seated pretty deep in the case and were all over the target.

Next up, my Krag, then my Mausers and Mosins...
    Last edited by Maineboy; 04-10-2005 at 10:51 AM.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master

Not a thing wrong with 2400. THat's what I go to if I want a smooth, even load in just about anything and the others have failed me.

2400 has kind of fell into disuse ove the years. Mainly, I think this is due to all of the attractive milsurp powders that we have today.

When I was first starting out, no respectable cast bullet shooter would be caught without Bullseye, Unique, 2400 and 4227 on his bench./beagle

Super Moderator

...............Works super dooper in a 38-55 too. Fast enough for a straight case.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Maineboy, 16.0 gr. 2400 is my starting load, and often the final load, in any caliber between .28 and .32 with case capacity between .308 and .30/06. That covers a lot of ground. I don't use fillers or elevate the muzzle before firing, as I agree with C.E. Harris that 2400 is not position sensitive. I am insecure if there is less than four pounds in my powder closet, and BruceB thinks I sprinkle 2400 on my oatmeal. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon
    Maineboy, 16.0 gr. 2400 is my starting load, and often the final load, in any caliber between .28 and .32 with case capacity between .308 and .30/06. That covers a lot of ground. I don't use fillers or elevate the muzzle before firing, as I agree with C.E. Harris that 2400 is not position sensitive. I am insecure if there is less than four pounds in my powder closet, and BruceB thinks I sprinkle 2400 on my oatmeal. curmudgeon
    A tough old cowboy counseled his grandson that if he wanted to live a long life, the secret was to sprinkle a pinch of gun powder on his oatmeal every morning. The grandson did this religiously to the age of 103. When he died, he left 14 children, 30 grand-children, 45 great grand-children, 25 great-great grand children,
    and a 15 foot hole where the crematorium "used" to be.

Boolit Master
    Mainboy,
    I find that load to be particular accurate in a lot of my rifles and also, I think you will find, the Lyman 311644 to be excellent for accuracy. Two of my .30'06 top accuracy loads use this boolit.-JDL

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb in Pa
    A tough old cowboy counseled his grandson that if he wanted to live a long life, the secret was to sprinkle a pinch of gun powder on his oatmeal every morning. The grandson did this religiously to the age of 103. When he died, he left 14 children, 30 grand-children, 45 great grand-children, 25 great-great grand children,
    and a 15 foot hole where the crematorium "used" to be.
    Herb, This gives true meaning to "1st liar don't stand a chance". Thanks for the laff!
    KB291