Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Winchester WST powder

Boolit Master

Winchester WST powder

I just picked up some WST powder in a good deal and have been looking for loading data for hand guns. So far the only data I have found has been for 38 spl and 45 ACP on the hoddgon web sight. I would also like to use this stuff of 357 mag, 44 Mag, 45 colt and 9mm if possible. Does anyone have data for these calibers.

Banned

wst replaced hp38. Its not the same powder but ive used hp38 data for it without problems. i would think that the hogdons website would have data specificaly for wst.

WST is much closer to Tightgroup for burn rate. WST is my most used powder for 38spl and 45acp. Unfortunately Winchester never gave data for 9mm or 40. I have tried it in the 9 and I have worked up to major power factor for USPSA in the 40. You will need to make your own decision if it is worth it.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I just read a very interesting article on reloading in one of the recent magazines. There is often a reason a powder manufacturer does not provide data for a particular cartridge with an individual powder. It may not be suitable. The author of the article mentioned the S&W .40 in particular - cartridge case "blow outs" from the use of a powder not specifically listed on the powder manufacturers web site. The powder people KNEW exactly what the problem was and that particular powder is flat not suitable, IN THAT CARTRIDGE.

"Logic" does not always apply.

Now, the thing to do, if you want to use a particular powder in a particular cartridge with no data, is to CALL THE MANUFACTURER AND ASK. A phone call costs nothing (relatively, these days) and maybe save yourself some pain. Don't e-mail them CALL them and talk to a real live technician.

Dale53

That's good to know thanks Dale 53 You learn a lot on this forum!
    lead Foot;

Boolit Grand Master
    Handloading Data for 40 Smith and Wesson

Winchester Super Target Powder

From the 13th and 14th Editions of the Winchester Reloading Components Catalog

150 JHP
    Start 5.5 grains 990 fps
    Max 6.3 grains 1050 fps

155 JHP
    5.5 grains 980
    6.0 grains 1040

170 JHP
    4.2 grains 830
    5.5 grains 970

170 Lead
    4.0 grains 870
    5.0 grains 970

180 JHP
    4.0 grains 780
    5.0 grains 900

200 FMJ
    3.8 grains 740
    4.5 grains 810

200 Lead
    3.5 grains 760 (only charge listed)

Also, see this site for further data for other bullets and loads for the 40 S&W:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I've found nothing in my reloading manuals nor online for the other three calibers listed.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input I will call winchester and hoddgons to see if any data exists.

Boolit Bub
    WST is a nearly-direct substitute for Bullseye. It's a fast-burning target powder.
    As such, it's perfect for .45ACP, which was designed around the military version of Bullseye.
    It's good for .38 Special for target loads, but trying to get full power will run up pressures quickly.
    That's typical of the fast burners like Bullseye, VV310, and the like.
    Few reloaders have had success with WST in 9mm and I can't recommend it. For .357, you've got too much air for a too-fast powder.
    I see data for .40 S&W, but I'm surprised.
    Use it where you'd use Bullseye and it'll do a nice job. It's consistent, clean, and quiet- really.
    I can also practically guarantee less felt recoil in your .45 over Unique and Titegroup and powders like that- I tried it in a side-by-side test.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.lasc.us/BurnRatePrint.htm

I have used WST in .40 for years. I stick with the starting load, which reliably functions the action.

Look for data here:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Good luck. I think you will like WST.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by FieldShunt View Post
    WST is a nearly-direct substitute for Bullseye. It's a fast-burning target powder.
    As such, it's perfect for .45ACP, which was designed around the military version of Bullseye.
    It's good for .38 Special for target loads, but trying to get full power will run up pressures quickly.
    That's typical of the fast burners like Bullseye, VV310, and the like.
    Few reloaders have had success with WST in 9mm and I can't recommend it. For .357, you've got too much air for a too-fast powder.
    I see data for .40 S&W, but I'm surprised.
    Use it where you'd use Bullseye and it'll do a nice job. It's consistent, clean, and quiet- really.
    I can also practically guarantee less felt recoil in your .45 over Unique and Titegroup and powders like that- I tried it in a side-by-side test.

I really like WST in my 45 ACP loads and agree that it is very similar to Bullseye. That being said, I like to make light loads of 2.4 grains of Bullseye under a 95 grain LRN for 380 ACP. I'd like to find load data using WST for 380 ACP, but can't find any. I'd be interested if anyone has load data for WST in 380 ACP.

Boolit Grand Master

+ another on WST being very similar to Bullseye.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub

I have been using a lot of WST lately. It seems to work as well as Bullseye in the 45ACP/Auto Rim and works much better than Bullseye in my 357s. I noticed the gun doesn't get near as hot with WST in my 357 target loads compared to Bullseye.