Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .454 Judge

Boolit Master

.454 Judge

I admit I'm a little slow. I only just discovered Taurus is making the Judge to handle the mighty Casull! Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

How about a casull case with a BPCR boolit sized back to .454? Maybe a 500g silhouette boolit? That cylinder would handle any length your heart desires.

Make it a 45 whisper revolver kinda thing

Boolit Master
    I heard they are not very accurate shallow rifleing and short barrels. Anyone have more info?

Boolit Master
    I have not seen a 454 Judge but I have seen and shot several 45 colt ones and was unimpressed with their accuracy with 45 colts. About as good as they would do was around 6 to 8 inches at 25 yards. The shot loads also expand to uselessness after 10 yards or so. The gun seamed to be at its best with both loads at ranges of 7 yards and under. So they are good self defense guns up and personal but beyond that are pretty useless in my opinion.

In Remembrance

Has everybody forgotten this pistol was designed for a CLOSE UP DEFENSE weapon and not a 300 yd. prarrie dog slayer?Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Has everybody forgotten this pistol was designed for a CLOSE UP DEFENSE weapon and not a 300 yd. prarrie dog slayer?Robert
    True, but remember every range session needs to be kept to 20 feet. Want to plink at a can at 25 yds.? Bring a bag of rocks. Cheaper than .45 Colt ammo, and just as accurate.

They are probably the best gun for repelling boarders in a car EVER, but they are nearly useless for anything else. The 2 1/2" cylinder guns would probably be good in snake country, but the rest are WAY too heavy and awkward for what they bring to the table.

In Remembrance

A chum of mine told me today, via phone from another state, that he has quit carrying his judge because of the size and weight, he suffers from MS and is almost wheelchair bound. He has gone back to his Charter .44 Bulldog.Robert

Boolit Man
    well if you want a cannon 444s will drop right in try it and let next of ken post result .
    45 colt works but need to use a 454 mold and soft lead. It wont be long before someone tries the 444

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    A chum of mine told me today, via phone from another state, that he has quit carrying his judge because of the size and weight, he suffers from MS and is almost wheelchair bound. He has gone back to his Charter .44 Bulldog.Robert
    I feel his pain. I can still walk but you never no what day it will be that you wake up and can't feel your leg been there and back and it totally sucks! I wish your friend the best I'm on the last possible treatment there is nothing else has helped. Shooting reloading and casting takes me to my own little world I pray he has his own world where he is the king

Boolit Grand Master
    bigboredad, you make me ashamed that I complain about my bad back. I can still walk, ride a bike, and lift my grandkids. I should be more grateful. Bless you.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-20-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spellin--what else?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

don't be ashamed we all have our problems and they are all bad. There a a lot of guys on here that make me feel blessed

Boolit Master
    Putting a "canon shell" in a shoe box! That's a bit much for my tastes, but if it will work, Go for it.

I think that since the Judge is engineered for a cartridge with the maximum pressures generated by the .45 Colt, you may be setting yourself up for a catastrophic cylinder failure.

I can hear it now, "Hold my beer and watch this... BOOM!"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

"Don't worry, I'll hold a cold compress on the stump to stop the bleeding, the ambulance will be here any minute!"

Scott
    Last edited by gunfan; 05-20-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Boolit Master

You guys ever hear of the .450 Mongo?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
    You guys ever hear of the .450 Mongo?
    I know I haven't, and I try to keep up with this stuff as much as I can, but not nearly as much as many here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    don't be ashamed we all have our problems and they are all bad. There a a lot of guys on here that make me feel blessed
    Nick
    you are stronger than I will ever be
    I for one am glad to know you and have had made your acquaintance
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

thanks David I appreciate it i appreciate your friendship as well

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    Putting a "canon shell" in a shoe box! That's a bit much for my tastes, but if it will work, Go for it.

I think that since the Judge is engineered for a cartridge with the maximum pressures generated by the .45 Colt, you may be setting yourself up for a catastrophic cylinder failure.

I can hear it now, "Hold my beer and watch this... BOOM!"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

"Don't worry, I'll hold a cold compress on the stump to stop the bleeding, the ambulance will be here any minute!"

Scott
    Obviously they have reengineered it for the increased pressures of the Casull or they wouldn't advertise it to do so. To do otherwise would be lawsuit city.

Boolit Bub
    Something to note: The Judge and Raging Judge both are available with six inch barrels (In Canada, the only real option we have to own one). I have played around with the .450 Mongo (loading .444 Marlin to .45LC pressures) and think there is a lot of potential in loading to .454 pressures. Half the reason for lousy .45LC accuracy in the Judge is the huge jump from case to cone, which is lessened with the longer cartridge. I don't have a Raging Judge though, so I am stuck with "non-Ruger" .45LC pressure levels. Then there's the extra half inch of chamber in the Raging Judge which may negate any benefits of .45 Mongo.

Boolit Bub
    Whoops! Just noticed how old this thread is. Carry on, nothing new to see here.

Boolit Master

at least its only 2012, not going back to 2008

by the way you dont need a judge to do this, a BFR is just fine.

And the idea of jump is BS. I can shoot 45 colt through my 3" cylinder and accuracy is great. I also shoot 38 special through a 357 max with a long throat (THAT is a jump!) and the gun is plenty accurate to kill animals at 100 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast