Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Swaging Dies & Etc.

Swaging Dies & Etc.

Ok, be gentle with me - I'm brand new here, first post.
    Story develops when I buy all the reloading and shooting stuff from an estate of a gentleman that was evidently a gun nut, avid reloader and tinkerer. I'm still sorting out and finding treasures of all sorts - here's the latest and I need help!

I have a bullet swaging die set [Herter's] a sack full of 22 jackets plus an unopened box of 250 each and a spool of lead wire - probably something like 25-30 pounds, I have not weighed it. Now, for the question: What is all this stuff worth? I was thinking something like $125, based on the other sales I have seen for like items[s].
    Anyone have any profound wisdom they would care to impart to someone that has no clue as to what the value of this stuff would be?
    Should I sell it, should I keep it or what exactly should I do with what I have? i also have several other size jackets but have not found any other caliber dies yet.

See you in the swamp!
    'TrapperP'

Boolit Buddy
    Years back (maybe 1994) I bought my .22 RF swaging kit from SportFlite for about 125$ total. That included both the case derimming die and also the core swage/core seat/bullet swage die set. I think Larry Blackman now sells something similar for about 500$ new. Corbin, well, I don't even look at his prices any more.

You could sell them, but maybe you should actually try using them instead.
    Michael
    Last edited by kawalekm; 04-07-2009 at 03:28 PM.

You should give it a try,... using them,... that is. Swaging is different than anything I have done to make bullets. I have casted, and I find that using the swage, much easier than waiting for a nice day to fire up the lead cooker...
    I like to go for rides on my harley on the nice days...

Boolit Master

I would be interested in some jackets of different dieameters if you are of a mind to sell some. I may also be interested in the the 22 dies set if you can give more description to what is all included.

But to tell you the truth, I agree with the others that you should try them out before you pass them along.

Swaging Bullets

Well, to answer the question, I don't know who made the dies but they are stamped with "Herter's" And to sum up the story, I unpacked the last of the boxes and find I have four sets of these dies - 22 cal, 30 cal, 38 cal and 45 cal plus some lead wire and jackets for each caliber.
    Based on what advice some here and on other threads have offered I'm not going to sell them until at least I try and make some bullets with them. Stll have some questions re this process but will at least give it a try.
    Thanks to everyone that replied. and
    Best regards,

Boolit Master

trapperP,

If you need instructions/destructions you can probably get most anything you would need for Herter's products by contacting Pressman, In other arenas he is called Mr. Herters.

Please keep us posted on your efforts.