Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lyman #357446

In Remembrance

Years back I acquired a #357466 single cavity in a trade deal. I also couldn`t get a load to kjeep a cylinder full from my K 14 on the side of a barn! I had heard this was a finicky mold to use and to try top loads from a manual. Well it still was odd so I sent it off to `Buckshot` for a HP job that he did, not anymore though. That made the difference in where the boolits wanted to roost, the boolets weighed now in the mid 150`s range.Robert

Boolit Master

Now you all are going to make me dig around the shop this weekend. I think the 358156HP is the same long nose Keith bullet with a factory HP. The weight would be about right and the 156 is definitely a long nose design. My 446 is and Ideal and the 156 is a Lyman, but I believe a very early Lyman. I do cast a bunch of each every other winter and they really only see duty in 686's, 627, 1894C and Contender. I do not load them in 38 specials. I do know that both have enough meat to size easily to .359 and I always use the crimp groove as it seems to shoot best with a good roll crimp.

Boolit Master
    My 357446 is not quite as accurate as my 358477 or 358429. It is close, though. The 358477 is slightly more accurate at less than 50 yards. The 358429 is slightly more accurate at more than 50 yards. All are acceptably accurate at any range, however.

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to start with the gun as over 2" groups at 25 yards from a rest is not real good. Rested the K38 should do that or better at 50 yards. Make sure all the leading is out of the barrel and see if the groups shrink any.

Boolit Master

Reading these posts has answered a question I never asked my DAD. Why did we never use this bullet ? We used TONS of the KEITH #358429 loaded with .38-44 charges in the .38SPL case. We also used it in .357MAG cases in COLT & RUGER Sixguns, and the S&W model 19. For a light plinking load we used the #358477 over 3.5grs of BULLSEYE. I have never read in any LYMAN Manual who designed this bullet.

The hot .357MAG Load was the THOMPSON Gas Check Bullet #358156 over a max charge of 2400.

I guess my DAD tried the #358446 and discarded it, before I came along. I've read somewhere it was designed as the original bullet for the .357MAG. If so this may be part of the reason for the OLD stories about leading in the first .357MAG loadings.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

I could never get the 357446 or the 358429 to group as well . I thought the Keith designed 358429 was going to be the top dog....but it wasn't ! Maybe I need to try these with 2400 powder and load them heavy.

The accuracy champ, with midrange loads , has turned out to be #358432 in the 160 gr. ( that # was also made in 148 gr. )
    much to my surprise as you don't hear much about this one. I snagged a 1 cavity off E-bay for cheap and after some testing and more testing was pleasantly surprised...every 38 spcl and 357 magnum I owned shot neat and tidy small groups with it . 15 shots from a rest at 25 yards will make a 1 3/4 inch ragged hole ! NOE still makes it in 160 grain and it's a winner in the accuracy department . When I saw NOE had a 3 cavity of this design I ordered it in a flash.
    This one has become my most used and loaded boolit .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-11-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Plus one for Beagles post. Too many folks have had MUCH trouble with the -446 boolit. Sell the mold and buy a -429, -477, or several other good mold designs. Leave the hassles up to those who love hassles. We aren't put here on this big green lifeboat to waste time on trivia...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    You can add me to the list of unlucky 446 owners. Couldnt get it to shoot straight to save my life. Ended up using Lee 356-125-2R PCed in 38S brass and Lee 358-158-RF in 357mag. I also have Lyman 148gr DEWC mold somewhere but I dont shoot that much neither.

I should probably sell it on fleebay. Maybe someone else would have better luck then me.

My Smith 686 6" shoots the -446 lights out. I read all the posts of folks having a fit with this mould but it's been the most accurate mould to date for me. I'm using Unique powder pushing the pill at 1165fps. I took my first handgun kill at 23yds with this boolit this pas wknd.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123