RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: .360 Dan Wesson Load For Handi

Boolit Buddy

.360 Dan Wesson Load For Handi

I just got a .357 Handi and hope to shoot 360 Dan Wessons in it. Since I haven't located a 180gr. mold I like, I picked up some 180gr. XTP's for the time being. Does anyone have load data on this combo using Lil' Gun? I have heard 18 gr. is accurate and safe, but I would like to hear more about it. Also, if you are using this combo, which crimping groove are you using? I would like to stick with this powder as I have had very good experiences with it.

Boolit Mold
    Brian here is a couple of links for loading the 360 dw
    http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotDanWesson360Revolver.htm
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_80616520/
    Hope this helps.By the way the 360 dw brass I received fits in my handi.Hope to make up a few loads with it next week.My handi is only about 1/8" short of being able to load 357 max brass.
    Good luck,
    Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Wayne,
    I guess it is just you and me on this project. Email me at bbroom99@yahoo.com when you load yours. I just got my new handi a few days ago, but had to go to New Orleans to help with a boat. So, I haven't even fired a round through it. From what I've read here and a few other places, reaming the chamber to .357 max length is a five minute DIY job that obviously removes very little steel. I just prefer the idea of the .360 since you don't alter the barrel in any way and get similar speeds. Let me know what load you're using. Thanks!

BrianB,

Your Handi sounds like mine - I got it a couple years ago, it would chamber a 360 DW just fine. Could not get the boolits to touch the throat at all with most slugs. Found the throat was actually as long as a 357 max. I tried a few loads & never did get it to shoot like I wanted, so I finally reamed it to Max.

Did not try any jacketed in it, did not try any Lil' Gun in it. I'd be glad to tell you about what did work (as good as I could get it).

Lyman 356637 147gr (yes 9mm boolit) FN-BT/4.0 gr Unique/Fed #100 SP primer/1.800" OAL - was my accurate "whisper" load. Very quite, same POI as my 200 gr "hunting" load at 50 yards.

Saeco (?) 200gr Spitzer PB hardcast/15.0gr 2400/Fed #200 SP mag/2.020" OAL - I think it was too hot to really be a 360 DW, but the OAL is longer than several 357 MAX loads. These boolits were given to me by a friend and were harder than I really wanted for hunting - but since they were plain base, it was probably good they were hard. These got me a 1.5" group at 50 yards - no idea on velocity though - that's usually last on my list. I think if I had the RCBS 200gr GC mold, I would have been a happy camper. I did got a doe with this load, but wasn't as quick a kill as I was happy with - a bad shot would with this would have been a disaster (but, most bad shots are anyway - right).

Tried several 180 gr loads, but the Group Buy boolit design was a plain base, and I just didn't try to push them that much - most were in the 2-3" at 50 yard class - not as good as I thought I should be able to get out of a scoped Handi.

So far I've only tried one boolit with the Handi since reaming it to Max - 357627 215gr SWC with AA1680 powder - 1" at 50 yards.

I still think the RCBS 200gr would be what I want out of my Handi, but I just haven't worked with it much at all - too many others to fine tune lately.

Sorry, no 180 gr Jacketed and no Lil' Gun, but I hope it helps you.

Boolit Buddy
    OBX,
    yes, that does help some. Any info helps at this point. I'm just trying not to waste time and money on loads that will not work. I'm hoping that if I pick enough people's brains, I'll get it right the first time. You are right about the bad shots.

I often read where people say that a certain cartridge will work, but you better be very careful with shot placement. In my book, shot placement is just as critical with a .308 as it is with a .357 Mag. I really don't have trouble killing deer, but there is no way I could handle making one suffer. (or any other animal)

BTW, nice red! That is my second passion. Nothing like a bull on 10 lb. test and a screaming drag!

If you run into any other load info, be sure to pass it along. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Brian.