Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: How to get involved with group buys?

Boolit Bub

How to get involved with group buys?

I have seen a lot of interesting stuff go out on these group buys. What I would like to know is what is the procedure for getting involved and purchasing a mold or something from a group buy. Who do I write to? Who do I send money to and when do I send the check?

Bob Maerdian

Super Moderator

.............Bob, welcome to the board. To answer your questions:

"What I would like to know is what is the procedure for getting involved"

Commonly there will be an exploratory thread located in the GB DISCUSSION forum started by someone to get a handle on the popularity of some particular design. This person may or may not be interested in being the Honcho for the buy. If sufficient interest is shown the hunt for someone to take charge of it (Honcho it) may begin, or the originator might announce he'd do it from the git go.

"Who do I write to? Who do I send money to and when do I send the check?"

Once a proposed GB shows enought interest and a Honcho is announced they will begin a new thread in the ACTIVE GROUP BUY forum, like " 358156 clone in a 6 cavity is here", or something to that effect. Normally at this point if there has been discussion on the design it was all done on the exploratory/discussion forum. When the new thread is made the buy is open for business and the design is set.

In the first post or two the Honcho will post all the specifics for those interested in participating. Who to send the money to, or how it's to be handled, what form of payment will be accepted, etc. The cost will be shown along with any other pertinent details like options the subscriber might have.

It's up to the Honcho as to when they will begin accepting checks. Normally once they do, zip code numbers or board handles of those sending payments will be posted from time to time, so those who have sent one will know it's been received. Once the target number of moulds have been paid for, the Honcho will sometimes issue a "Last Call" of some duration and after that close the buy.

Once the buy is closed and no longer accepting new subscribers, the thread will be moved to the COMPLETED forum. So if you see an offering that is in theACTIVE GROUP BUY forum , it's still actively accepting new subscribers. If it's in the COMPLETED forum, the buy is technically closed to new subscribers. However you can still contact the Honcho of the buy, as they may have ordered more, or possibly haven't sent the order in yet and may be able to add you.

................Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 08-29-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    If someone wants to I would be interested in a 45 gang mould group buy. Maybe if we get up a decent order we could get priorty. Mine has been on back order forever it seems. wc

Boolit Bub
    i'd bet a dolla on that 45 mold buy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    If someone wants to I would be interested in a 45 gang mould group buy. Maybe if we get up a decent order we could get priorty. Mine has been on back order forever it seems. wc
    What boolit are you looking for exactly? And what weight. Luckily I never was in on a Lee group buy, they take way too long for a $35 custom mould that costs $70. Now I'm sure I'll take flack for saying that, but it won't be the first time I'll take it. Luckily now we have Mihec (from Slovania), Swede Nelson (USA) both doing group buys. I have been in on them from both, they have great turnaround times and are 5 times the quality of Lee (maybe an Understatement). By turnaround I'm talking a couple to three months rather than a year or more. And what is available is so much more with cramer style hollowpointing, brass, steel, GOOD quality aluminum with optional hollow pointing and good quality moulds that don't have to be reworked. Also BABore is throwing his hat into the ring (see vendor/sponsor section) I have never used one of his moulds but considering the people that have spoken for him I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
    Anyway check out the group buy section, there are group buys going on now you may be interested in, PM or just add to the thread and plead ignorance, someone will chime in to help you, to just give you direction on "how a group buy works" is now too complicated to explain as with 4 different vendors on board now, they are all somewhat different.
    By the way, it is my opinion the Swede Nelson and Mihec's quality rivals a custom mould that would cost twice what they do. I expect the same from BABore as well, but with no experience can't state that so definately.

Boolit Master

348 plinker

I am wondering if there is enough interest in the 348 plinker mold from babore, for a group buy and how many would it take? what would the savings be? Daryl

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    Something like this?

Who's interested in a 230gr round nose military ball configuration (or close to it) 45 ACP boolit mould? Plain base single lube groove.

How about a 10 Cavity? or 8 Cavity? 5,4,3,2,1 cavity?
    That would be in this thread
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=62089

Boolit Mold
    Hello all from this newbie. I'd really like to get in on a 45acp hp mold group buy. If one of you folks would be so kind as to email me a number to call, I'll call.
    Thanks, Jim

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim7t View Post
    Hello all from this newbie. I'd really like to get in on a 45acp hp mold group buy. If one of you folks would be so kind as to email me a number to call, I'll call.
    Thanks, Jim

You need to check the forums, GBs are done via them.

This forum is where GBs are discussed, designs agreed and a sense of if there are enough interested people to make it viable.

When its a goer the GB is posted on the Active Group Buy forum, that is where you get the details from the honcho who is running as to how you join in and where to send the dosh to.

So look at the current Gbs and see if any meet your needs, also look in the Vendor Sponsors or Swap and Sell forums as sometimes there are leftovers from past GBs for sale.

As with most things the more you put in here the more you will get out.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    I would really be interested in the group buys, but I would also like to see complete drawing and specifications such as grease grove radius (if any) and width, driving band width, total bearing surface, diameter, Meplat diameter, Etc. In other words the complete engineering diagram.
    That should not be a problem since it is needed in the making of the bullet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim7t View Post
    Thanks, Jim
    Welcome bigjim7t pull up a stump and join the fire,
    warning bring waders it gets deep some times
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    (ahem) since Nov. 2009, thats the only post he ever made on the forum,,,,,,,,,another zombie thread walks again,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

and who says we should leave the stickies alone.... really?