WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 44cal Ranch Dog Group Buy starts now

My money order from zip 47270 should be getting there it was mailed out Monday!!!
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    i got it today and i will update the list again

thanks,
    jeff

I plan on using the .430 Lee sizing die as well, but since the question was brought up and I have ever so much to learn as I just started casting my own a month or so ago as well. If the Ranch Dog bullet is .432 in dia and you run them through a .430 sizing die wouldnt it size them down to .430?? Would it defeat the purpose of a .432 bullet?? Sorry if the question seems silly, I have a lot to learn so asking such questions doesnt hurt any
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Steve,

Yep, running a bullet through a .430 sizing die will size it down to .430. The prupose of the .432 boolit is to provide a larger boolit for those who do not want to use a .430 but would benefit from a .432 boolit. I am planning on using a .430 die to see how mine does accuracy wise. I will order a .432 sizing kit from Lee if my results suggest the need for it. For a number of us, the .430 will do just fine, saving us the trouble of getting a .432 made, just enjoying the good boolit design.

Hope that answers the question without too much BS.

Doc

Boolit Bub

Thumbs up Buckshot makes custom dies

I don't recall that it's been mentioned on this thread that Buckshot makes sizing dies, both push thru like the Lee and dies for lube-sizers like the Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, etc. He's making me a push thru die in .379" for my .38-55 for 19 bucks shipped. Next I'll ask him to make me one for this bullet and the Fat .44.

Boolit Master
    Lamar would you ask him about a .432 push through for the Ranch Dog bullet for me?if its like the Lee die and is a good quality die i would buy one too.does his die take that red plastic Lee boolit catcher?is it a die that would screw into a loading press?let me know Lamar

thanks,
    jeff

Boolit Bub
    Jeff, I sent Buckshot a p/m about your question. I'm confident the quality of his dies are as good as can be had. During my contacts with him he asked if I wanted my die to work with the Lee boolit catcher and I told him I did. Take care, Lamar.....
    Last edited by 308; 03-16-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    For the do-it-yourselfers, there's a simple solution to the .432" sizing die. The LEE,Lyman, Rcbs sizing dies can be easily polished out with a split steel rod, 320 grit emery paper, and hand drill. Simply cut a 6"-8" length of 3/8" steel rod, and cut a slit on one end with a hack saw about 1 1/2" down thru the center of the rod. Cut your 320 gr. strips into 1 1/2" inch strips about 6- 8" long. Now thread the strip of emery in the slot and wrapp it tightly around the rod, to aprox. the diameter of the sizing die. It should be a snug fit. Now chuck your rod into the hand drill, and polish away. Replace strips when grit is gone. It should only take about 20 minutes to polish to proper size. Measure pushed slugs periodically, to check your progress. You can always remove more metal, it's alot tougher to grow it back. I've used this mehtod sucessfully to polish out numerous sizing dies, and cylinder mouths with perfect results. For Marlin shooters, the .432" is the size for .444 and .44 mag.

I cant wait to try this bullet out in my Rossi 92!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog
    no34570...

PM or email me your shipping address so that I can figure out what it takes to send you the mold. Six cavity molds are shipped without handles and you would be best served with a Lee Lube and Size kit special ordered in .432" to help seat the gas checks. Let me know if you will need these as I'm sure Lee DOESN'T do overseas. I'm sure we can get it figured out to get you what you need. It would be kind of cool having this bullet doing it's work down under!

Got another fellow in Sweden interested, I think he said he has taken 40 moose with his 444! Time to get this bullet out of his gun too!
    Hi Ranchdog
    I sent you a PM
    I like the tought of the bullet you designed to be working down here too,especially in my rifle.I reckon you are right about seating your gas checks,we will probably will need the Lee L&S kit in .432.
    Thanks for all the help,you and jeff223 are giving me and also all the other fellow casters and shooters,thanks a heap mate's
    Cheers
    no34570

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cast-n-blast
    #3, sorry for any confusion on shipping charges. The ole brain misfired, and thou it registered your being from down under, it didn't pick up on the possibility of extra shipping charges. Guess my enthusiasm for the mold overpowered my common sense. This will be a dandy mold !

Jeff223, sorry if I overstepped my boundaries. Didn't mean to intentionally. The enthusiasm just triggered a brain malfunction on my part. Thanks, Jeff
    cast-n-blast
    No worries mate!
    I knew there would be extra shipping involved,especially way down here
    At least we have something to be enthused about,the mould I mean,which is harmless not like other people doing evil things to his fellow man.

Boolit Master

Okay there is a couple of options for sizing (not real necessary) and gas check seating (very necessary). The least favorable option is using the .430" die from the Lee L&S Kit. All performance bets are off if you reduce the size of the bullet any without your barrel dictating the reduction. For a .430" bullet your barrel would slug .428" through .429". I have no experience with the Rossi rifles so this could be acceptable.

Could somebody post a link to a thread concerning the Buckshot dies? This sounds very interesting. My questions are like those mentioned. Does it fit the "red" Lee bullet catcher and for first time L&S Kit users does it include the "punch" to push the bullets through?

And of course... polishing out a .430" die is always an option but please, please just don't size the bullet to .430" without your rifle requiring it.

If you order a L&S Kit for Lee, ask them to please start cataloging the size. From what they told me, this is one of the best methods of determining the demand for a product such as these kits. You might save your brother the cost of a SO Kit somewhere down the road. The same could be said for this mold. If you have any telephone business with Lee, mention cataloging some TLC rifle designs as they are sure needed.

And in passing... my forum namesake, my ranch dog Sheila, passed this week. I've been simply devastated. This Australian Kelpie renewed my interest in the great outdoors and was my living, breathing shadow for 11 years. I've always been a dog guy but I learned early that I was in the presence of a great animal. My life would have ended 8 years ago had it not been for her. A mad cow was stomping me to death and she waded into the ruckus and brought it to an end. I still suffer the affects of that beating but I will always be amazed at the ability of a 50# dog that killed a 800# cow in about 30 seconds. With that ass kicking I received and the life she gave me back, I decided we would spent our remaining years enjoying the great outdoors rather than just working in it. This mold represents that renewed interest. I would appreciate keeping this post directed at our mold but I wanted to share it's namesake with you...

God bless you girl and I will be your servant on the other side!
    Michael

Boolit Buddy
    Holy cow RD ! What a story ! It explains alot about the man, his dog, and the bullet. One of the most interesting stories I've ever read about. I know you don't want to stear this thread away from your bullet, but I'm sure everyone would love to hear the full story in detail. Perhaps if time permitts, you can fill us in on another thread on this site. Thanks, Jeff

Boolit Bub
    Ranch Dog, I'm at a loss for words of condolence at the moment. May God bless you is my prayer.

The push thru dies that Buckshot makes does come with the punch, and he'll turn them to fit the Lee bullet catcher if you request it. Here's a link to a thread about some of his work: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5110

Ranch Dog...my deepest condolences to you, I would be devasted also if I lost my best pal, my lab...may your sorrow soon be replaced with only the good memories.
    Big Bullets at moderate speeds...Makes things move

My sincerest condolences to You, I'm truly sorry for Your loss.

What comes to top punches for lubrisizer machines like Lyman 45xx and RCBS lubematics... they can't be done manually exactly fitting for the said boolit without exact and precise measuring work with samples of the boolit, but, normal universal flat nose punch style can be used with this kind of flat nose boolit. If lubrisizer dies of special size, universal top punches or punches for epoxy fitting are needed I can honestly recommend Mr. Buckshot's services.

Boolit Master
    Ranchdog
    Sorry to hear about your K9 companion passing away,I've always said dogs are sometimes better mates than people,they know just how to cheer you up when your down and all they ask in return is a good feed,their head out the window of the truck,slobering all over the window and your companionship as well.
    Cheers to Sheila mate
    no34570

Boolit Master
    Ranchdog... I haven't had a dog since I was in high school.....the last few days I have been thinking it would be neat to have a dog as a companion in retirement...then just now I read your story....thanks for posting it!.....also my condolences...

..........Jeff I sent that MOD today......mic

Banned
    Hey Ric,

You can't beat yourself to death over these kind of events. I alway tell people that the word "if" is the biggest little two letter word in the world and you just used it alot. We can't go back and change those "ifs". Just know and rest assured that in your friends eyes, and all of us here, that you are good man. I'm glad I know you here on the forum and someday I hope to meet you. Maybe my Indian joke would bring some laugther into your life.

Your friend
    Joe

Boolit Master

Got home from training late yesterday and this morning it is kind of gloomy out so I decided to make you guys who are sitting on the fence think more about the mold... Started casting some hunting TLC432-285-RF bullets for my 444T. This rifle is an early 444 with the 1:38 twist and a 24" barrel. These bullets were cast with a 1/1, wheel weight/linotype mix I use so they are a lighter bullet. They will weigh in at 265-grains with the gas check and they are a flat shooting killer. My 444T will spit them out at 2400 FPS on a 80F day.

This is my original two-cavity mold. It has had several thousand bullets drop from it and is still going strong. I like heating the alloy to about 750F. It is just starting to give the bullets the hazed over look. I believe in Lee's Modern Reloading II this is recommended for the Liquid Alox... It seems to work for me. Three coats and even at 2400 FPS I have a pretty little wax star on the muzzle of my 444T's barrel.

Boy... aren't these puppies pretty!

At this casting temperature, I use the damp towel in a pan technique that Lee recommends to cool the mold. I actually need to set it there for a few seconds after every drop. You can quickly get to the point where the sizzel tells you when the wait for the cooling period is just right. Doing this every time allows me to cast at the temperature I like and keep the mold where the bullets drop out just as soon as it is opened. If I miss a cooling cycle, I do have to rap the mold handle pivot bolt.

There you go girls! A box overflowing with deer and hog killers! I'll cast the next batch with the 1/10 mix so that I can start the pressure testing with 285-grain bullets...
    Michael

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast