Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 62 Levermatic .256 Winchester

Boolit Master

Marlin 62 Levermatic .256 Winchester

The other day, I put the money down on a Marlin 62 Levermatic in .256 Winchester Mag. I had a M57 in .22 s,l,lr before and really liked the thing so this was a real find in my mind. I have grown quite fond of the .25 caliber anyway.

I need to make some brass up and wondered if anyone had any actual hands-on doing this. I sent for a form die(Redding) from Midsouth and now I see that Redding sells a #1 & a #2 form die. Hoping the one I bought does the job! This thing forms the cases from .357 mag. I also heard you could fireform .22 Jet cases after snizing up the necks to a .25 cal.

Any advice?

This is absolutely the last rifle I'm buying...this month.

Boolit Master

Saw on years back in .30 carbine. Neat gun.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Newtire....I have made a bunch of .256 Win Mag brass from .357s back in my Contender days. I have the Redding form set and it's pricey. The first die is an intermediate step and takes it down to about .30 and the next takes it down more and sets and forms the shoulder. You finish up with a FL size die. Of course, a trim job is in order.

I used unplated .357 Mag brass for all mine and R-P seemed to work best.

You have to take things in very small steps and clean frequently as lube wrinkles happen.

I ran across a fellow at our range one time and he was shooting nickel plated formed .357 Mag cases....with no wrinkles. He left before I could ask how he formed the nickel plated cases. I'd like to know how he did that.

You can fire form .22 Jet as is to .256. Accuracy is "minute of berm" at 50 yards during fireforming and I got a lot of split casess. If you had Jet cases expanded to .25 and annealed, I think it would work all right.

The .256 is a great little caliber and I keep hoping to run up on a cheap "shooter" Hawkeye some day.

The M62 had a bad reputation for case seperations also so watch it./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    The other day, I put the money down on a Marlin 62 Levermatic in .256 Winchester Mag. I had a M57 in .22 s,l,lr before and really liked the thing so this was a real find in my mind. I have grown quite fond of the .25 caliber anyway.

I need to make some brass up and wondered if anyone had any actual hands-on doing this. I sent for a form die(Redding) from Midsouth and now I see that Redding sells a #1 & a #2 form die. Hoping the one I bought does the job! This thing forms the cases from .357 mag. I also heard you could fireform .22 Jet cases after snizing up the necks to a .25 cal.

Any advice?

This is absolutely the last rifle I'm buying...this month.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Thanks as usual for the great advice. I dug out an old Handloader #133 and the author talked about fiddling with the dies until he just got the case to chamber. I'll fool around with the forming die I have coming and see if I can't make something work. If not, another $65 and I can get the #2. The thought occured to me to maybe try to size the stage #1 case in a .22 Jet die. Sounds like anneal time for sure. These projects keep me broke!

Boolit Buddy
    I have on of those rifles and it is very fun to shoot, started shooting cast in it last summer.

I know your not supposed to but I just take and run my 357 brass in the 256 die with rcbs case lube. I loose 3 or 4 out of 50 using R-P brass. For some reason the winchester has a higher rate of loss.

The 65gr leads seem to work well. I'm hoping to try some 89gr's first chance I get.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 256 WM barrels for my Contender, so I had to learn how to form brass. It's pretty staight forward, and you can do it without expensive forming dies. You'll need to purchase a set of 30 Luger or 30 Mauser dies, I use Lee dies as they were cheap. Use plain brass cases, nickel cases don't form as well. Don't anneal the cases until you finish the final forming step, otherwise the case shoulders tend to collaspe.

If I can be of help, just let me know.

John

Boolit Master
    About two years ago I was at an auction here in Virginia .

They had a pair of Marlin 62's . One was in 256 and the other was a 30 Carbine . I bought them both .

When I came home I had my dealer get me dies for both and as of yet I've not fired a round in the 256 and only a couple in the 30 .

They do however look nice sitting in the safe amongst all my other Marlin's
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

newtire;

Johnly covered my forming operation to the letter. I use the .30 Mauser Lee sizer for my intermediate step.

If you don't anneal the cases AFTER final forming you'll probably lose close to half of them to shoulder/neck splits on first firing.

my 2¢
    Yance
    Fariview, NC

http://outawaysforge.wordpress.com/

http://www.thefcbg.org/

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

Boolit Master
    Now that's some useful stuff. So, I will get the .30 Mauser dies and then how do I go about using them?

I made 500 of them a few years ago from brass .357 cases by annealing first, then running them into a .256 sizer die. I formed all five hundred with one pass through the die and didn't lose a single one.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

You're a dirty bird. I've wanted a 256 mag lever action since Paco Kelly's first book some 30+ years ago.

Boolit Master
    My dad and I are on the lookout for that one and the 30 Carbine. Already have the 56 (magazine fed) and 57 (tubefed) 22lr's it would be nice to have a complete set.

The only 256 I have ever fired was Jbar's, its a cute little round.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    You're a dirty bird. I've wanted a 256 mag lever action since Paco Kelly's first book some 30+ years ago.
    I have to laugh becase I remember thinking I was going to go look for a .357 magnum revolver over a year ago. I got sidetracked into buying about everything but a .357. So, I just have been going with the flow and finding a few great deals here & there but have long since forgotten about the .357. If I go out looking for something & find something else instead, it must be "a sign".

Don't forget to post pictures when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    the .256 is a great little caliber and i keep hoping to run up on a cheap "shooter" hawkeye some day.
    aahahahahahahahahahhahahaahhaahahahahahahahaha!!!! !

Boolit Master

I have sized the 357 nickeled brass down to 256 win mag and you just have to go slow and it worked for me. I have maybe 200 that I have sized that way.
    I have all the dies and yes you want to step down gently and I did loose a few maybe 5 when I was doing it.
    My gunsmith was going to take an old model 92 action and make it into a 256 win mag but he died two ago before he got time to make it for me so I have the action and no smith to make the rifle seems most don't dare work on the old winchester model 92 actions. So as i get money I get parts and one day will have to put it together myself and see what I end up with. I like the cartridge as it is better then the 25-20 and I just like having the odd caliber.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Bub
    I've got two Contender barrels in .256, but I got almost 1k of factory and almost 3k of brass and dies, and bullets and........ when I bought them. I've always been fascinated by the caetridge and would LOVE to have a pair of those Marlins in .256 and .30 Carb.

I've also always been interested in the UNIVERSAL FERRET but in my 52 years have only actually SEEN one in person, it was a God-Awful GREEN TEFLON COAT!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a .256 Win. and never had too much success at forming brass until I :

#1 Annealed the once fired .357 brass
    #2 Sized it in a .357 sizing die
    #3 Sized in a .256 Win sizing die with IMPERIAL SIZING DIE WAX (now
    sold by Hornady) for a crush fit.

Worked well and after 5 reloadings is holding up well !

Hip

P.S. I would hold off on the HOT reloads though-----a 100 fps isn't going to get you anything but split brass in this middle of the line rifle with sloppy chamber and weak lock up !

Boolit Master

Hipshot
    I have resized nickel 357 brass down to 256 win mag and lost maybe the first three. I have not annealed any yet. I used all three dies that they have to reform 357 down to 256 win mag but I work slow and take my time as I am more interested in the end product then getting several hundred done in hurry. Then maybe I was very lucky.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    shdwlkr,
    Try the annealing, you shouldn't lose any ! I'm using just my RCBS loading dies to form the cases---NOT forming dies!
    To anneal stand the deprimed cases (brass cases are better-not as brittle) in a pan app 1/4 the way up in water----hit the neck area with a propane torch intil it turns red (go all the way around the brass) then tip over in the water to quickly cool the brass. Lay them on newspaper to odsorb the water and shake . Also pick up each one and blow the water bubble out of the flash hole.