WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee 105gr SWC .358" in 9mm?

I have been doing some simulating in the QuickLoad software based on the confirmed "good" loads posted in this thread. They all have in common that they have a pressure around 15-16k PSI, which is pretty low for a 9x19mm. It does however give us something to go on when looking for loads that do the job - meaning accuracy without leading with the LEE 105gn SWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have the 105 and shot it out of 9mm and 357 with 25 yard accuracy off the bench it will cloverleaf them with either gun.

Loads please. Especially .357.

Thanks
    105 lino/WW about 25/75 - water drop .357 sized
    38 spl case 4.2 bullseye
    9mm Lee 105gr SWC 3.9gr W231 COAL 1.01 - browning high power
    357 mag 9.6 blue dot - 6" Dan Wesson

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    In no way do I intend to offend anyone, but I seriously question how a person can choose a mold based on a single group shot from 7 yards and another one speaking of accuracy shot without support from 50 feet.
    Yeah, but it's a very nice plate!

Just picked up my first 380 tonight so I dug this up and has given me what I think will be a good starting point.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Going through the same process as we speak 10-15-2017. Cast about 400 boolits. Passed finger nail test for hardness. Coated with Hi-Tek poly coating. Came out anywhere from 108 grains to 112 grains. Mostly 108 grains. Sizes were .359 to .312. Sized through a .358 die and proceded to load 9 cartridges starting 4.5 grains Unique and was going to work up to???. Had the little woman with me to spot brass landing spots and racked one in. It did not go. It lacked the same distance that the bullet was protruding from the case. Ok, back to the shop. Had ordered a one foot piece of allthread carbon steel rod 7/8. Turned it into a .356 boolit sizer. The boolit from the barrel slugging measured .3553 to .356 around the periphery. The sizing did not make the boolit completly round. The pistol >>>SCCY CPX1 9mm. Considering bringing the top boolit band down to .355. Think next step is to slug another bullet from the .356 sizer. to verify the barrel is truly concentric. What do all yall think.
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 10-16-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: wrong word

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur 1 View Post
    Whistler, I'm glad that you found this thread. I bought a Ruger LCP a couple of months ago for concealed carry and I need to buy a mold so that I can load for it. I know that I should probably just buy a round nose mold, but the swc just looks cooler. The only thing that the bullet would be used for is paper punching because I use Corbon DPX rounds when I'm carrying the gun. The cost of .380 ammo is killing me and I need to get moving on casting for this round. I already bought loading dies and I've resized several thousand cases already. If anyone has any experience with this bullet in the .380, I'd like to hear more about it.
    Another good mold for the 380 is Lee TL356-95.

Boolit Bub
    Any suggestions for any taper/bulge buster/sizing die when the loaded round does not pass the "plunk test" or standard gage?

Adjusted the boolit sizer, the .356 made from the 7/8 x14 allthread to when the Lyman press breaks over at the bottom with a small bump the sized boolit protrudes out to the bottom of the top band. Made a 5/8 x 4 inch swager that reduces the top band to .355 tapered about halfway down the band. Now a crimped bullet drops into the barrel allowing the brass to headspace as it should. It seems that the modified 108 gr. boolit is no different than the Winchester Whitebox bullets with their rounded point in their distance from the grooves. Unloaded the boolits with the Unique powder and will try Bullseye next. I am looking for the recommended distance the boolit needs to be back from the lands. If you have had this problem or have the information please reply. Thank you

Boolit Grand Master
    Won't cycle in mine. Hangs up on the shoulder.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Adding more information. I really want the bullet to be crimped in the crimp groove leaving the top band. When loaded this way the bullet will not enter the chamber. Well, I am working on making a cap die to form a small ogive down the first 2/3 of the top band. Finished the cap die by reaming .358 to 1/2 inch deep then tapered the end about 3/16 with a 5 degree tapered tool. As you push the boolit through the sizer (. 3565 to .357. around the perifery) all the way to bottom with the bump, adjust the die where the bullet emerges to the crimp groove. Then place the cap die on the top and strike with a lead hammer. Then adjust the cap die by milling the end down to where it will leave the taper 2/3 down the top band. This process does add one more step to the loaded round. The bullet will now enter the chamber. Next I need to know how much jump the bullet needs to have before contacting the rifling to keep pressure down. I can move the taper up or down by adjusting the sizing die. My thoughts are, should this be successful, is to try to coherse Lee to modify their 105 gr. die with that slight ogive to eliminate the problem we all seem to be having. The modified one could be named for .380 use or something. One more die for them to sell. LOL
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 10-25-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Wrong word

I am using the word crimping and I need to verify that the crimp I use is minimal. Reduce the bell to neutral, .oo1 to .002 below. With the case trimmed at .742, loaded a .358 sized dummy boolit backwards and loaded into gun (no primer, no powder) Backed it out with a wood dowel and the groove mark was touching the brass. Miked the barrel and the chamber is .742 deep. Ran a bullet through .358 sizer and seated to .099 O/L and the bullet seats against the grooves. Bullets seated to .108 O/L will go to battery with the lead engaged in the rifling.
    The Firearm is SCCY CPX1 9MM Advice as to what to do next would be highly appreciated. Thanks

update to the problems stated in post #51. Problems solved. E Mailed SCCY and Jason called me on the phone. Asked for the Model # of my pistol and he then informed me that I needed the newer model barrel and sent me one. Free of course. The guarantee is on the gun no matter who owns it. The new barrel has a visible polished ring in the barrel and it looks as if the lands are tapered some where they begin. Need to slug a bullet into the barrel to find how much jump the boolit has. Shot a few Monarch 9mm target rounds and had a hang-up. Fired a few Low Recoil bullets and mag hang-up. Then shot some of the 105 SWC 110 / 112 grain 2.7 grs BE and functioned perfectly. With my vision, I am happy with a 4 1/2 inch group at 45 feet in the thorasic area. My sight picture is lacking the space on either side of the front sight and fuzzy looking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123