RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 105gr SWC .358" in 9mm?

Check the lips on your mags to make sure they're holding the round properly. Sounds like they need to be squeezed together a bit to prevent the three point jams you're experiencing. I cast the same bullet and size down to .357 in my Star with my own home brewed lube. Load with 3 grains of Titegroup with only a thumb nail thickness of the bullet's shoulder showing. Use just enough crimp to remove the bell. Velocity is about 1,000 fps +/- . Extremely accurate with no leading. This round shoots well in my Springfield 1911, Sig 226, Sig 229 and BHP. Only time I have any feed problems is when the mag lips are too loose.

A J

Boolit Master
    Is this bullet flat or bevel based?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master

Flat.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I've been fine tuning my .380 and am pretty happy with the little LCP. I am using a Lee 124gr TL RN bullet with 1.7 gr of Bullseye with an OAL of .950". This load is not intended for self defense, I'm afraid that it might awaken a sleeping giant and wouldn't want that.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that "they" are not out to get you.

Had a few loads with the Lee 105's left from trying them in my P225. They didn't feed in the 225 so I took them along to burn them up after doing 2 shot drills in my 92FS. the 92 gobbled them up and shot great. Going to load another batch and really see whet they will do in it. Only had 6 or 8 to shoot last time. Going to see what I need to do to get them to feed in the P225.

The main thing I use them for are in .38's for what I call my wife's "chipmunk loads". Like shooting a .22 when used in a .38
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Security Police `80 -`00

Boolit Master
    I'm having really good luck with them in 357 Sig. Good feeding, accurate and they cut a nice hole in the paper. I'm amazed that a stubby little bullet can be so accurate.

Boolit Master

Lee 358-105-SWC L-SWC w/LLA

My best groups with this bullet are with LLA-tumbled bullets and leading is a non-issue. This is in BHP, 1937 P-08 Mauser, CZ75, and S&W 5904. For me, the bullets only become accurate if unsized and tumble-lubed in LLA.
    Best load has been 3.2gn 231 and COL of 1.035.

I've been using them in the 9x19 for a while now with 3 grains of Bullseye @ 1.00 COAL. They worked well with Unique too, but I don;t have the load data in front of me right now. I need to update my notes. They have worked well for my recoil-sensitive wife. The Chrony said somewhere around 900-950fps. I've always cast them up air-cooled out of an alloy similar to WW.

It's also a great boolit in a .380 or .38 Special.

Edit: 5 grains of Unique in a 9 x 19 pushed that boolit just over 1200fps. I'm not sure where that data originally came from, so treat it with caution. Accuracy was not so good, 8" @ 50 feet. The dainty Bullseye charge grouped about 1/4 that size.
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 08-05-2010 at 02:39 AM.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Well I guess we have different views on accuracy...
    2" at 50 feet is not going to cut it for me.

I need 2" at 50 yards for my PPC competition.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    I've been working with this boolit, and the 9mm the last few months. I've arrived at a nice shooting "high energy" level that I feel comfortable with.

The load is 6.2 grains of Power Pistol, in Federal cases. Overall length ends at 1.035" to 1.040". Boolits were sized to 0.356", and lubed with LLA.

They are chronographing at 1302 ft/s average, which comes in at 395 ft/lbs. This is out of a Ruger KP89DC.

These have fed without a hitch in both the Ruger, and a Kel-Tec P11. I did have some issues myself with feeding, until I arrived at the above OAL.

I am attaching some photos of the fired cases, because I was looking for overpressure signs, and they seem OK. Also attaching a picture of the rounds to show where they seat.

Please note that this is the upper limit of what I would personally want to use.
    It kicks pretty good in both pistols.
    How's the recoil on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Well I guess we have different views on accuracy...
    2" at 50 feet is not going to cut it for me.

I need 2" at 50 yards for my PPC competition.
    2" @ 50 ft. was shot while standing, with no rest, from a compact carry gun.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Cloudpeak's pie plate caused me to get the six banger mold for sure. I'm still developing for my LCP and XDm 3.8, but so far it seems to be a VERY versatile bullet!

In no way do I intend to offend anyone, but I seriously question how a person can choose a mold based on a single group shot from 7 yards and another one speaking of accuracy shot without support from 50 feet.

One of the absolutely most important parts of range reports are that we use consistent ways of measuring. Shooting from a supported position from 25 to 50 yards is the only real way of saying anything at all about the accuracy of your weapon and/or ammunition. Shooting unsupported says things about the shooter at most and very little about the gun and ammo. Shooting from short ranges says nothing at all really. All ammo and every gun is accurate at short enough ranges.

Boolit Mold

Two Worlds

Keep in mind this discussion has taken two paths. Some are talking about using the boolits in question in 380 pistols and others are talking about using them in 9mm pistols. Two similar but very different worlds.
    I was not born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Also, I don't know anybody that uses a 9mm handgun for 1,000 yard bench rest competitions. If we were talking about a boolit that was going to be loaded in a .25-06 or a 6mmPPC, or even a .223, I would have held it to a different standard of accuracy. I was just reporting what I have seen in common use situations.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Jim, you never heard of the Swedish 6mile bench rest contest for 9mm?

Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Swedish 6mile bench rest contest for 9mm new to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1YPW9DTIIA

just the 500 meter ram shoots

and to stir the pot

http://www.snipercountry.com/article...iperpistol.asp

I have the 105 and shot it out of 9mm and 357 with 25 yard accuracy off the bench it will cloverleaf them with either gun.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post

One of the absolutely most important parts of range reports are that we use consistent ways of measuring. Shooting from a supported position from 25 to 50 yards is the only real way of saying anything at all about the accuracy of your weapon and/or ammunition. Shooting unsupported says things about the shooter at most and very little about the gun and ammo. Shooting from short ranges says nothing at all really. All ammo and every gun is accurate at short enough ranges.
    I have another way of looking at how I judge accuracy--and that is solely for myself.

I NEVER test my handgun rounds on a rest or vice. Sorry, but when I've had to draw my weapon, shoot and make it count, I never had the luxury of either time or rests or a vice to ensure my accuracy.

When I can cast and load a boolit and then fire it shooting unsupported and get the accuracy I'm seeking, that is my end goal and how I judge how well any given load combination works for me. After all, I've never been attacked or threatened by a paper target.

Cloudspeak's target is what motivated me to buy the mold, and I've never looked back.

I load some very light "powderpuff loads" in .38 Special for my daughter and my wife to shoot in their short-nose wheelguns, including the airweights. I load some other loads to shoot through my 686's--which feels like shooting a .22. Nothing but pure fun and economy to boot.

The boolit works well for me in .380, but I'm cursed when it comes to lead and 9mm--which is why I've all but given up casting for that particular caliber. I have jacketed loads that outperform any factory loads I've ever shot or even those that I tested back in my gov't LE years.

Maybe one of these days I'll stumble on the right combination of alloy, boolit type, load and gun and get something that works for me.

I have the 105 and shot it out of 9mm and 357 with 25 yard accuracy off the bench it will cloverleaf them with either gun.

Loads please. Especially .357.

Thanks
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    When I can cast and load a boolit and then fire it shooting unsupported and get the accuracy I'm seeking, that is my end goal and how I judge how well any given load combination works for me. After all, I've never been attacked or threatened by a paper target.
    I guess we all have different ways of finding our favorite loads...
    We are not allowed to carry our guns in Sweden. Around here, you get license for competitive target shooting only. Period.

We do have competitive events were reliability and accuracy are huge factors though, such as IPSC. If you train for months for a single large competition, you spend thousands of dollars on equipment and hotels etc only to find yourself with a jammed cartridge or a load that leads so much that gets you on the last place in the tournament, well... you can figure it out for yourself.

In order to feel secure that your shooting technique is good, and to know what your strengths and weaknesses are, you first have to confirm that the equipment is good. That is, you have to know that the ammo is accurate in your particular gun, you have to know that it feeds reliably after several hundred shoots and you have to know that the accuracy is maintained in the dirty gun. When you've got all that, THEN you can start testing yourself to see if you have a proper grip and stance that allows you to manage the recoil but still get your shots on target.

I've never done any 1000 yard shooting, but I do regularly compete with targets placed up to 200 yards.

Most shooting events around here are 25 meter bullseye shooting and 50 yard PPC shooting though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast