MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hodgdon international clays in 45 acp

Boolit Man

hodgdon international clays in 45 acp

does anyone have any experince with hodgdon international clays in 45 acp im curious because i can get ahold of an 8lb can for cheap but i can't find any load data for handgun calibers also does anyone know the burn rate in the case. hodgdons chart says its between imr trail boss and imr pb

PS this is international clays not to be confused with clays or universal

RJ

my new years resolution is to have a more positve outlook but that doesn't mean i cann't expect the @%&#*%@ worst

RJ,
    Hodgdon International Clays is our Aussie AS50N, with a burn rate similar to 700X, AA5 and Green Dot.
    AS50N is the same as AP50N - just a bit bulkier for shotshell reloading.
    It's considered interchangeable. Clean burning and meters well.
    If the price is right - grab it.

Our Australian website for ADI powders lists loads for AP50N in .45 ACP.

http://adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/

Regards,

Kirby.

Boolit Buddy
    That's interesting. I wonder why Hodgdon doesn't list any handgun loads for International on their website? They've got loads for Clays and Universal
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Boolit Master
    I have a Hodgdon Cowboy Manual that has International loads for 38 Spl, 44, and 45 Colt,but...no 45 ACP loads. Not sure where to look for ACP loads; I guess if you load for these calibers you could always use it in them.
    lathesmith

I am looking at a 4# jug of international clays powder. It states right on the label on the front of the jug, loads for 38 spl, 9mm, and 45acp.

For 45 acp it recommends 5.6 grains with a 200 gr. fmj. and it says it will make that move at 911 fps. I have yet to open this thing and load any of it but, thats what the load data ON THE FRONT LABLE says;.45 acp-5.6 GR.- 200 GR.FMJ-911FPS. Hope this helps and gives you a good starting point..........
    Last edited by acemedic13; 04-08-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Boolit Master

I have used International clays for .45 acp and it works well. What I did was use a starting load for Green Dot and work up slowly. Seems to be a good powder.

Skeet1

Boolit Man
    thanks all i figured i would do something similar i just wasnt shure what powder to use as a base line

good ive got data for the bullets i want to use in 45 with green dot so i should be in buissness

my new years resolution is to have a more positve outlook but that doesn't mean i cann't expect the @%&#*%@ worst

Revolver Junkie,

This is what I've come up with. H. International Clays is the equivelent of ....

Alliant- Promo
    IMR-PB (single base)
    Viht. N-321
    Winchester-231

Jim
    My anger management classes are pissing me off!

Boolit Buddy

Regular H-Clays

Have been using just the Plain/straight [CLAYS] in 45 ACP for long time. Is clean burning also. My 2¢ Russ.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead jim View Post
    Revolver Junkie,

This is what I've come up with. H. International Clays is the equivelent of ....

Alliant- Promo
    IMR-PB (single base)
    Viht. N-321
    Winchester-231

Jim
    Check this burn rate chart out: http://www.reloadbench.com/popup/burn-2.html.

According to this one your chart is off. I know that not all burn charts are identically the same and I also know that burn charts do not tell you what the rate that a powder burns inside a chambered cartridge.

As an aside I have an old empty container for International Clays and there is nothing but shotshell loadings on the lable. No pistol loads. That's not to say you can't find a pistol load using it.

Joe

Here is the burn rate chart I was refering to. gsgroup.co.za/contact.html Like you said, no 2 charts will say the same. I would say if you started with 2 grains below the start load and work your way up you should be fine.

Straight Hodgdon Clays is my favorite too.

Jim
    My anger management classes are pissing me off!

Boolit Man
    ok i got the powder 8lbs for just over $120 with tax. deal of the century no but hey i wont be buying pistol powder for a loonngg time.

i decided to be on the cautious side and took the sugested green dot data. took the max load and reduced it 15% being 3.55 gns have not shot them yet but i figure this is a good starting point btw if you have richard lees book the chart in the back for cavity size is right on the money.

RJ

Boolit Buddy
    I contacted Hodgdon a few years ago about International Clays pistol load data. I had noted a very few loads in their Cowboy data and wondered about other possibilities. The person I talked with said International Clays gave some unusual and unexpected pressure excursions, so uses other than the very limited Cowboy loads were not advised.

BeeMan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeMan View Post
    I contacted Hodgdon a few years ago about International Clays pistol load data. I had noted a very few loads in their Cowboy data and wondered about other possibilities. The person I talked with said International Clays gave some unusual and unexpected pressure excursions, so uses other than the very limited Cowboy loads were not advised.

BeeMan
    Probably why my empty can of it didn't have pistol loads on it. Strictly shotgun powder I reckon.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Probably why my empty can of it didn't have pistol loads on it. Strictly shotgun powder I reckon.

Joe
    I've got a jug of Lil'Gun setting here, nothing but 410 shotgun data on it, but as we all know more of it is loaded in handgun than shotgun. I've never loaded it in shotgun but plenty in 357. Get the published cowboy load data and use that.
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I've got a jug of Lil'Gun setting here, nothing but 410 shotgun data on it, but as we all know more of it is loaded in handgun than shotgun. I've never loaded it in shotgun but plenty in 357. Get the published cowboy load data and use that.
    That's true Scot, but Hodgdon has lots of loads for Lil'Gun in other then shotgun applications on their website. Not many for International Clays like mentioned.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Just looking in Hodgdons basic reloading manual and there's data for 38 spcl, 44 spcl, 44 mag, and 45 colt for International Clays, not a lot of data but somebody is using it in handgun loads. There's been so many new powders introduced how could any handloader keep up, it would be 24/7 testing and shooting trying to explore all them. I guess that is better than the alternative though, no choice, or even worse no powder.
    Charter Member #148

Like I said, they actually listed pistol loads as well as shotgun loads on the plastic jug itself. At least the containers I have do. So it is apparently reccommended for pistol loads. They only list 3 calibers, .38spc. 9mm and .45 acp. but they do list and provide load data as well as recommend it's use in pistol. Next to the load data for pistol, it lists the load data for 20 and 12 gauge.

Since this post came out I broke into my jug. I used the recommended load on the container lable. I did not chrono the loads but, they all shot fine. Very clean, and accurate out of my sigs, 1911, and my buddies israeli 45 thing. I dont know about the approach of finding a powder to compare it to. I did not have to. I just went by what they said to do. It all worked out great. If you check up a little on my previous post, you will find the load data for .45. If you want the other 2 just let me know. I will try to post a pic of the front lable.
    Last edited by acemedic13; 04-08-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeMan View Post

BeeMan
    To me that should be warning enough. Remember the discussion we had not to long about about a reduced load of Unique in a 357 mag case? Larry Gibson was very adamant on not doing it. I called Alliant and the engineer there said the same thing. I was wrong.

If something is wrong with that Unique or in this case the International Clays in pistol loads one may get away with using it without incident, but never know, someday it might bite you. Reducing a fast burning powder in a load doesn't always mean it will be safe.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by acemedic13 View Post
    like i said, they actually listed pistol loads as well shotgun loads on the plastic jug itself. At least the containers i have do. So it is apparently reccommended for pistol loads. They only list 3 calibers, .38spc. 9mm and .45 acp. But they do list and provide load data as well as recommned it's use in pistol. Next to the load data for pistol, it lists the load data for 20 and 12 gauge.

Since this post came out i broke into my jug. I used the reommended load on the container lable. I did not chrono the loads but, they all shot fine. Very clean, and accurate out of my sigs, 1911, and my buddies israeli 45 thing. I dont know about the approach of finding a powder to compare it to. I did not have to. I just went by what they said to do. It all worked out great. If you check up a little on my previous post, you will find the load data for .45. If you want the other 2 just let me know. I will try to post a pic of the front lable.
    sorry about that, my reading skills must really suck- thanks for posting the published data for 45acp!!!!!!!!!
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast